Buggy Norton Anti Virus "Intelligent" Updater

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    days ago.
    Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    follows:
    1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    is there.
    It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    Robert Baer, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Robert Baer

    rt Guest

    Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    >signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    >days ago.
    > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    >follows:
    >1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    >Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    >2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    >Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    >where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    >3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    >Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    >[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    >yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    >is there.
    > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    That's good news. I use Win98 1st ed. and have been using intelligent
    updater until 20050130-005-i32.exe. The newer updates are rar
    self-extractors(stack of books with an up arrow icon) and my NAV version
    4.08 for IBM doesn't recognize them. I happen to be waiting delivery on a HP
    notebook this week. It has NAV, so I'll try the patch in a few days. How did
    you verify that NAV sees the new info? Did you open the program and look in
    Help/About Norton Antivirus?

    Mine says:

    "virus definition update 1/30/05"
    "you are protected against 68952 viruses"

    I assume if the patch works, the date and number of viruses will correspond
    to the patched update. I wonder if the program will reflect the change
    without rebooting. When you say "When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV
    seems to act as if the new info is there", are you running two OS's on the
    same PC? I only use Win98.
    rt

    rt, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Robert Baer

    The O n e Guest

    > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > days ago.
    > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > follows:
    > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    > is there.
    > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    Im kicking the dirt over Norton Antivirus, every time I turn on my computer
    I have to redownload recent virus definitions who apparently was meant to be
    installed.

    The O n e, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Robert Baer wrote:
    > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > days ago.
    > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > follows:
    > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    > is there.
    > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.

    Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
    root certificates.
    I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
    The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
    newer OSes.
    --
    Rostyk

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 14, 2005

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    rt wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    > > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > >signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > >days ago.
    > > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > >follows:
    > >1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > >Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > >2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > >Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > >where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > >3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > >Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > >[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > >yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    > >is there.
    > > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    > That's good news. I use Win98 1st ed. and have been using intelligent
    > updater until 20050130-005-i32.exe. The newer updates are rar
    > self-extractors(stack of books with an up arrow icon) and my NAV version
    > 4.08 for IBM doesn't recognize them. I happen to be waiting delivery on a HP
    > notebook this week. It has NAV, so I'll try the patch in a few days. How did
    > you verify that NAV sees the new info? Did you open the program and look in
    > Help/About Norton Antivirus?
    >
    > Mine says:
    >
    > "virus definition update 1/30/05"
    > "you are protected against 68952 viruses"
    >
    > I assume if the patch works, the date and number of viruses will correspond
    > to the patched update. I wonder if the program will reflect the change
    > without rebooting. When you say "When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV
    > seems to act as if the new info is there", are you running two OS's on the
    > same PC? I only use Win98.
    > rt

    I just tried the Help/About and i see zero info concerning any virus
    definitions.
    However, when i right-click on the icon and open NAV, i see the new
    date.

    Robert Baer, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    The O n e wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > > days ago.
    > > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > > follows:
    > > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    > > is there.
    > > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    > Im kicking the dirt over Norton Antivirus, every time I turn on my computer
    > I have to redownload recent virus definitions who apparently was meant to be
    > installed.

    ..and, pray tell, do they install?
    If so, what WinOS do you use?

    Robert Baer, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > > days ago.
    > > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > > follows:
    > > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    > > is there.
    > > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    > Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.
    >
    > Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
    > root certificates.
    > I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
    > The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
    > newer OSes.
    > --
    > Rostyk

    Well, if they are valid like you say, then the OS should not matter..

    Robert Baer, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Robert Baer wrote:
    > "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Baer wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    >>>signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    >>>days ago.
    >>> Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    >>> However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    >>> So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    >>>follows:
    >>>1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    >>>Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    >>>2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    >>>Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    >>>where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    >>>3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    >>>Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    >>>[yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    >>>yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    >>> When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new info
    >>>is there.
    >>> It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    >>Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.
    >>
    >>Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
    >>root certificates.
    >>I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
    >>The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
    >>newer OSes.
    >>--
    >>Rostyk

    > Well, if they are valid like you say, then the OS should not matter..

    Perhaps I do not express myself well.
    Go read the information page for yourself.

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Robert Baer

    Mike Jonson Guest

    Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
    NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
    as Micro$ucks!!

    Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
    have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
    working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:

    Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
    following location:

    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe

    Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
    intelligent updater packages as normal again.

    I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
    because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
    problem!!

    Anyway, good luck!!

    Mike

    Mike Jonson, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Robert Baer

    Mike Jonson Guest

    Ooppps!!

    I see the same solution was already posted.

    Apollogies!

    Mike

    Mike Jonson, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Mike Jonson wrote:

    > Ooppps!!
    >
    > I see the same solution was already posted.
    >
    > Apollogies!
    >
    > Mike

    Thank you. Accepted.
    And in this case, since you expressed it much more clearly
    and with better instructions than what I posted, you can
    share any rewards. :)
    --
    Rostyk

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 15, 2005
  13. Robert Baer

    rt Guest

    Mike Jonson wrote in message
    <>...
    >Ooppps!!
    >
    >I see the same solution was already posted.
    >
    >Apollogies!
    >
    >Mike

    Is there a way to restore the old certificates if there is a problem with
    rootsupd.exe? I'm using IE 4.72.3110 SP1
    rt

    rt, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Mike Jonson wrote:

    > Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
    > NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
    > as Micro$ucks!!
    >
    > Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
    > have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
    > working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:
    >
    > Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
    > following location:
    >
    > http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe
    >
    > Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
    > intelligent updater packages as normal again.
    >
    > I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
    > because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
    > problem!!
    >
    > Anyway, good luck!!
    >
    > Mike

    Pray tell, how such a certificate can have an effect?
    It does not matter which OS i use to dowload the "Intelligent
    Updater"; it complains that it "is not signed with a valid Symantec
    signature" in Win98Se, but not in Win2K.

    Robert Baer, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Mike Jonson wrote:

    > Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
    > NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
    > as Micro$ucks!!
    >
    > Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
    > have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
    > working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:
    >
    > Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
    > following location:
    >
    > http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe
    >
    > Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
    > intelligent updater packages as normal again.
    >
    > I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
    > because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
    > problem!!
    >
    > Anyway, good luck!!
    >
    > Mike

    Oh, BTW, it hates NetScape 4.7 which *DOES* support frames (trying url
    http://download.windowsupdate.com bitches about browser not supporting
    frames or ActiveX).
    In short, M$ wants you to abandon alternative browsers.
    Typical BS!

    Robert Baer, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Robert Baer wrote:

    > Mike Jonson wrote:
    >
    >>Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
    >>NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
    >>as Micro$ucks!!
    >>
    >>Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
    >>have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
    >>working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:
    >>
    >>Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
    >>following location:
    >>
    >>http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe
    >>
    >>Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
    >>intelligent updater packages as normal again.
    >>
    >>I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
    >>because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
    >>problem!!
    >>
    >>Anyway, good luck!!
    >>
    >>Mike

    > Oh, BTW, it hates NetScape 4.7 which *DOES* support frames (trying url
    > http://download.windowsupdate.com bitches about browser not supporting
    > frames or ActiveX).
    > In short, M$ wants you to abandon alternative browsers.
    > Typical BS!

    Is that BS as in Bellsouth??? or bovine excrement?
    Anyway:
    I am not surprised that Microsoft is using its own proprietary
    features on its update system.
    There may be ways to download the update via FTP rather than the web.
    I'm not that religiously pure. So I just use MS. IE for the MS updates
    or some other pages that play that way.
    Also have you considered that it may be time to upgrade from NS 4.7x
    to NS 7.2, or Mozilla 1.7 (?), or Firefox 1.1 (?)
    --
    Rostyk

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 16, 2005
  17. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:

    > >>Peraps you need to upgrade your security root certificates.
    > >>
    > >>Go to the Microsoft windows site and search for
    > >>root certificates.
    > >>I just updated mine, again at the beginning of February.
    > >>The readme page says they are valid for Win98, Win98se and
    > >>newer OSes.
    > >>--
    > >>Rostyk

    > > Well, if they are valid like you say, then the OS should not matter..

    > Perhaps I do not express myself well.
    > Go read the information page for yourself.

    I have found that using that Root Certificate update for Win98SE, that
    the "Intelligent Updater" *does* work.
    But.
    The error message the IU gave referred to not being signed with a
    valid Symantec signature.
    Totally different than some certificate outside itself.

    Robert Baer, Feb 16, 2005
  18. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    > > Mike Jonson wrote:
    > >
    > >>Can I firstly say that Symatec is an absolute pain when it comes to
    > >>NAV support and that I think that they are becoming to get as greedy
    > >>as Micro$ucks!!
    > >>
    > >>Anyway after enough searching and wasting my time time where it could
    > >>have been better spent elsewhere, here's the fix I managed to get
    > >>working for the Win9x machines that were experiencing this problem:
    > >>
    > >>Basically you need to download the latest Root Certificates from the
    > >>following location:
    > >>
    > >>http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe
    > >>
    > >>Run the file and then you should be able to run your downloaded
    > >>intelligent updater packages as normal again.
    > >>
    > >>I do hope it works for everyone else, as that's why I posted this,
    > >>because I believe enough time has been spent by everyone on this dumb
    > >>problem!!
    > >>
    > >>Anyway, good luck!!
    > >>
    > >>Mike

    > > Oh, BTW, it hates NetScape 4.7 which *DOES* support frames (trying url
    > > http://download.windowsupdate.com bitches about browser not supporting
    > > frames or ActiveX).
    > > In short, M$ wants you to abandon alternative browsers.
    > > Typical BS!

    > Is that BS as in Bellsouth??? or bovine excrement?
    > Anyway:
    > I am not surprised that Microsoft is using its own proprietary
    > features on its update system.
    > There may be ways to download the update via FTP rather than the web.
    > I'm not that religiously pure. So I just use MS. IE for the MS updates
    > or some other pages that play that way.
    > Also have you considered that it may be time to upgrade from NS 4.7x
    > to NS 7.2, or Mozilla 1.7 (?), or Firefox 1.1 (?)
    > --
    > Rostyk

    Oh, i use NS 6.2 in one of my OSes (have three on same HD), but use NS
    4.7 in Win98SE most of the time.
    I get far less junk and problems using the older OS and browser, and
    there are only a few URLs that either do not work too well, or not at
    all.
    One of these daze (in my spare time) i will switch from NS 6.2 to 7.2
    (have CDs for both).

    Robert Baer, Feb 16, 2005
  19. Robert Baer

    The One Guest

    > The O n e wrote:
    > >
    > > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > > The Intelligent Updater has been giving the message about being not
    > > > signed with a valid Symantec signature, for all OSes until a number of
    > > > days ago.
    > > > Now, it seems to work for Win2K, and i assume for WinXP as well.
    > > > However, it still fails with that stupid message for older Win OSes.
    > > > So...Install it where it will work, and patch the other systems as
    > > > follows:
    > > > 1) Copy the <yyyymmdd> the new folder in \Program Files\Common
    > > > Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs\ to the new drive (same folder).
    > > > 2) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > > Defs\Definfo.DAT on the new drive, changing CurDefs= to yyyymmdd.ccc
    > > > where the incoming Updater package name was yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > > 3) Edit \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus
    > > > Defs\Useage.DAT on the new drive, changing the top line to
    > > > [yyyymmdd.ccc] where the incoming Updater package name was
    > > > yyyymmdd-ccc-i32.EXE .
    > > > When you re-boot to that other OS, NAV seems to act as if the new

    info
    > > > is there.
    > > > It would be nice to find a way to test that.

    > > Im kicking the dirt over Norton Antivirus, every time I turn on my

    computer
    > > I have to redownload recent virus definitions who apparently was meant

    to be
    > > installed.

    > ..and, pray tell, do they install?
    > If so, what WinOS do you use?

    No and Xp, gone to AVG.

    The One, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Robert Baer wrote:

    > "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
    >
    >>Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> Oh, BTW, it hates NetScape 4.7 which *DOES* support frames (trying url
    >>>http://download.windowsupdate.com bitches about browser not supporting
    >>>frames or ActiveX).
    >>> In short, M$ wants you to abandon alternative browsers.
    >>> Typical BS!

    >>Is that BS as in Bellsouth??? or bovine excrement?
    >>Anyway:
    >> I am not surprised that Microsoft is using its own proprietary
    >>features on its update system.
    >>There may be ways to download the update via FTP rather than the web.
    >>I'm not that religiously pure. So I just use MS. IE for the MS updates
    >>or some other pages that play that way.
    >>Also have you considered that it may be time to upgrade from NS 4.7x
    >>to NS 7.2, or Mozilla 1.7 (?), or Firefox 1.1 (?)
    >>--
    >>Rostyk

    > Oh, i use NS 6.2 in one of my OSes (have three on same HD), but use NS
    > 4.7 in Win98SE most of the time.
    > I get far less junk and problems using the older OS and browser, and
    > there are only a few URLs that either do not work too well, or not at
    > all.
    > One of these daze (in my spare time) i will switch from NS 6.2 to 7.2
    > (have CDs for both).

    NS 6.2 ?!? Brrr! The whole 6.x version is considered to be, pardon my
    French, Crap. Sllloow bloated and buggy.
    Anyway that's a different topic beaten to death over a couple of years
    in the netscape groups.
    --
    Rostyk

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, Feb 17, 2005