    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Southern Kiwi

    Harry Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of data,
    > saved back up as 2004,
    > Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    > Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a way
    > of opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    Call Microsoft support.
    They have made your data unavailable and they should be the ones who
    have to fix it. If you do it yourself then MS will never get the message.
    Harry, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Harry wrote:
    >>Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of data,
    >>saved back up as 2004,
    >>Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    >>Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a way
    >>of opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    > Call Microsoft support.
    > They have made your data unavailable and they should be the ones who
    > have to fix it. If you do it yourself then MS will never get the message.

    During the install it does say to backup your data before you install it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 27, 2004
  4. > Call Microsoft support.
    > They have made your data unavailable and they should be the ones who
    > have to fix it. If you do it yourself then MS will never get the
    > message.

    If the problem lies in that Harry saved his file in 2004 format, then
    there's no realistic expectation that the money 99 version would be able to
    read it. It's a big ask to expect a pgm to know 5 years into the future what
    formats would be used.

    But if he saved it under 2004 as a 99 file format, and money 99 still can't
    read it, then yes MS should be able to help. Although undoubtably there's
    some small print regarding backups.

    ~!@#$%^&*()(_+

    Lisa: Oedipus is the one who killed his father and married his mother
    Homer: Argh! who paid for that wedding?
    Waylon Smithers, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Rick Ward Guest

    Install 2004 trial on another PC, copy your data to floppy, usb etc and open
    it on new machine. Save as 99 version, copy back to original PC ??

    Rick Ward, Jul 28, 2004
  6. "Rick Ward" <> wrote in message
    > Install 2004 trial on another PC, copy your data to floppy, usb etc and

    open
    > it on new machine. Save as 99 version, copy back to original PC ??

    I can't see an option to backup in 99 format (would've been damn handy!)
    And MS wonder why people end up using nefarious means to work with/around
    software??
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  7. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Harry wrote:
    > >>Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of data,
    > >>saved back up as 2004,
    > >>Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    > >>Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a

    way
    > >>of opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    > > Call Microsoft support.
    > > They have made your data unavailable and they should be the ones who
    > > have to fix it. If you do it yourself then MS will never get the

    message.

    > During the install it does say to backup your data before you install it.

    Which I did, and still have, but I will be missing the last 30 days of
    data.....
    Serves me right for not reading the small print I suppose, It would have
    made a LOT of sense (to me) for MS to alllow migrating back to your trusted
    version if you didn't like the new one.....
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Southern Kiwi

    Patrick Bold Guest

    > "Rick Ward" <> wrote in message
    > > Install 2004 trial on another PC, copy your data to floppy, usb etc

    and
    > open
    > > it on new machine. Save as 99 version, copy back to original PC ??
    > >

    > I can't see an option to backup in 99 format (would've been damn

    handy!)
    > And MS wonder why people end up using nefarious means to work

    with/around
    > software??

    If you can get the 2004 trial installed somewhere else, try saving your
    backup in Quicken format (*.qif) instead. Then you should be able to
    import the Quicken file into Money 99.
    Patrick Bold, Jul 28, 2004
  9. "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Rick Ward" <> wrote in message
    > > > Install 2004 trial on another PC, copy your data to floppy, usb etc

    > and> > open> > > it on new machine. Save as 99 version, copy back to

    original PC ??

    > > I can't see an option to backup in 99 format (would've been damn

    > handy!)
    > > And MS wonder why people end up using nefarious means to work

    > with/around
    > > software??

    > If you can get the 2004 trial installed somewhere else, try saving your
    > backup in Quicken format (*.qif) instead. Then you should be able to
    > import the Quicken file into Money 99.

    Nope, can't save in anything except Money (Grrrrrr)
    Now I see it has "corrupted" my original backup as well.
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Now I see it has "corrupted" my original backup as well.

    how is that? surely the backup shouldn't be touched by the new version.
    what sort of backup was it?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  11. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > > Now I see it has "corrupted" my original backup as well.

    > how is that? surely the backup shouldn't be touched by the new version.
    > what sort of backup was it?

    What it does when installing itself, is take over you existing file, saves
    it as a "99" file (so you can go back (haha))
    However when I removed the trial, reload the 99 and try to restore,it
    doesn't recognise the "99" backup.
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > What it does when installing itself, is take over you existing file, saves
    > it as a "99" file (so you can go back (haha))
    > However when I removed the trial, reload the 99 and try to restore,it
    > doesn't recognise the "99" backup.

    oh dear.

    good thing you keep regular backups aye, yeah right.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  13. Southern Kiwi

    Nelly Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:21:14 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message

    >way

    >> > Call Microsoft support.
    >> > They have made your data unavailable and they should be the ones who
    >> > have to fix it. If you do it yourself then MS will never get the

    >message.
    >>
    >> During the install it does say to backup your data before you install it.

    >Which I did, and still have, but I will be missing the last 30 days of
    >data.....
    >Serves me right for not reading the small print I suppose, It would have
    >made a LOT of sense (to me) for MS to alllow migrating back to your trusted
    >version if you didn't like the new one.....

    Save a copy of the backup file and see if you can view as a text file
    or even import to excel. You will also have to restore the backup in
    Money 99. My advise is to have plenty of copies of the backup to play
    with and keep one totally out of the way and untouched just in case.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
    Nelly, Jul 28, 2004
  14. Southern Kiwi

    Max Burke Guest

    > Southern Kiwi scribbled:
    > Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of
    > data, saved back up as 2004,
    > Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    > Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a
    > way of opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    If you can still get into the trial version:
    Export it (in the file menu) as a qif file, and try importing/opening it to
    money 99.

    Otherwise sign up for another months trial and then try the above...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jul 28, 2004
  15. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > > What it does when installing itself, is take over you existing file,

    saves
    > > it as a "99" file (so you can go back (haha))
    > > However when I removed the trial, reload the 99 and try to restore,it
    > > doesn't recognise the "99" backup.

    > oh dear.
    > good thing you keep regular backups aye, yeah right.

    Well I do have my backup on the other machine, however, I was trying to
    resume with the latest one that 2004 screwed as when I migrated I was
    inputting this months data into it.......... :-(
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >>>it as a "99" file (so you can go back (haha))
    >>>However when I removed the trial, reload the 99 and try to restore,it
    >>>doesn't recognise the "99" backup.

    >>oh dear.
    >>good thing you keep regular backups aye, yeah right.

    > Well I do have my backup on the other machine, however, I was trying to
    > resume with the latest one that 2004 screwed as when I migrated I was
    > inputting this months data into it.......... :-(

    bugger... I think I'll stop with the arsehole/backup stick for the
    night, I feel bad now.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Southern Kiwi

    Nelly Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:54:42 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of data, saved
    >back up as 2004,
    >Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    >Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a way of
    >opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    Do a search and see if you can find the MN8 files and other .mbf
    files. I had one of these mbf81F5.tmp in an ordinary folder and IIRC
    that's where I managed to restore from.

    Nelly, Jul 28, 2004
  18. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...

    > >>oh dear.
    > >>good thing you keep regular backups aye, yeah right.

    > > Well I do have my backup on the other machine, however, I was trying to
    > > resume with the latest one that 2004 screwed as when I migrated I was
    > > inputting this months data into it.......... :-(

    > bugger... I think I'll stop with the arsehole/backup stick for the
    > night, I feel bad now.

    ;-)
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  19. "Nelly" <> wrote in message
    "Southern Kiwi"> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    > >Have money 99, tried money 2004 trial, entered a months worth of data,

    saved
    > >back up as 2004,
    > >Now trial has run out and 99 won't recognise my 2004 backup.
    > >Short of buying the 2004 program and continuing with that, is their a way

    of
    > >opening my 2004 file and converting it back to the 99 version?

    > Do a search and see if you can find the MN8 files and other .mbf
    > files. I had one of these mbf81F5.tmp in an ordinary folder and IIRC
    > that's where I managed to restore from.

    Thanx, will give it a whirl.
    Southern Kiwi, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Southern Kiwi