    driver for it but can not find out how to set it up..the handbook is fo win
    2000 / xp and doesnot help with 98 setup.

    Andy

    Capt T, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Capt T

    Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:17:43 +0100, Capt T wrote
    (in article <44bd41e5$>):

    > Can anyone help me get this up and running on my win98se system.I am trying
    > to replace my speedtouch broadband modem with this.I have downloaded a
    > driver for it but can not find out how to set it up..the handbook is fo win
    > 2000 / xp and doesnot help with 98 setup.
    >
    > Andy

    According to their website, Buffalo only manufacture one router with a built
    in modem - the WBMR-G54 [1] - is this what you purchased? If not, then you do
    *NOT* have a router with a modem. I've no experience with Buffalo products
    (my router is Netgear) and you set that up via your web browser.

    You mention a driver. Where did you download that from (it cannot have been
    Buffalo's page because they don't have any downloads for their only
    router/modem - bar a datasheet) because I've never come across a router that
    required one. All the ones I've had simply plugged into the computer's
    Ethernet port (and into the back of the router), then you accessed the set up
    and status page via your web browser (usually using the address 192.168.0.1,
    but YMMV). Once you have done that, you would follow the set-up instructions
    (which would be the same whatever OS you had).

    [1]No, I tell a lie, I've just checked again and there's this (WMR-HP-G54)
    model too. However, this doesn't have a driver either (I've not come across a
    router that does). The only download for this one on Buffalo's site is the
    'client manager' which is *NOT* a driver - it, as the name implies, allows
    you to set the router up on client systems (presumably it aids in the setting
    up of the wireless. However, in order to do that the client system(s) would
    each require a wireless card.)

    Unless someone tells me to the contrary, I will stick my neck out and say
    that no router has ever required a driver.

    I have just downloaded the "handbook" for the WMR-HP-G54 and, if this is the
    unit you purchased, I suggest you book yourself in for an eye test
    immediately as right there on page 6 are the Windows 98SE set up
    instructions. The instructions are so clear and precise that I'm surprised it
    doesn't carry a Plain English Campaign Crystal Mark for clarity. In fact,
    they're so easy my technophobic mother could set it up.

    So, finally tell me is this <
    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/product-
    detail.php?productid=135&categoryid=28> what you purchased? If not, what
    exactly *DID* you purchase?

    If that is the model, suggest you RTFM. Or, if you have, read it better.

    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006