    Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player. Dick Smiths is $78 and The Warehouse's
    is $68. I cant find any specs like internal battery vs AA battery,
    S/N ratio etc. So any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    JC, Dec 18, 2005

  2. JC

    Mark C Guest

    JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:

    > Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    > Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    No, sorry.

    Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.
    Mark C, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Mark C wrote:
    > JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >
    >> Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >> Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    > No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    These are huge, though. The portability of a memory-based player is one
    of their major selling points.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 18, 2005
  4. JC

    JC Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >

    >>Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    > No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?
    JC, Dec 18, 2005
  5. JC

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >

    >>Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    > No, sorry.
    >
    > Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    > No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    Pity it is a Sony, though. Stuff *them*.

    I've got a Panasonic MP3 CD player, which was used by my partner full
    time, until she got an iPod. The CD player is large and bulky, the
    interface isn't great, you have to swap discs. Great at the time, but
    really, a product that has been superseded by technology. It is rarely
    used now.

    AFA the original question is concerned, surely you expect to get what
    you pay for; at that price they almost certainly aren't going to be
    great. Won't both places allow you to return them if they are *really*
    awful?

    I'd be looking for something with an SD slot so capacity can be
    upgraded, and you could have access to a larger range of audio with
    multiple cards. 256MB isn't much.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 19, 2005
  6. JC

    JC Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >
    >> JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >>

    >>> Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>> Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    > Pity it is a Sony, though. Stuff *them*.
    >
    > I've got a Panasonic MP3 CD player, which was used by my partner full
    > time, until she got an iPod. The CD player is large and bulky, the
    > interface isn't great, you have to swap discs. Great at the time, but
    > really, a product that has been superseded by technology. It is rarely
    > used now.
    >
    > AFA the original question is concerned, surely you expect to get what
    > you pay for; at that price they almost certainly aren't going to be
    > great. Won't both places allow you to return them if they are *really*
    > awful?

    Yep they probably would allow for returns.
    > I'd be looking for something with an SD slot so capacity can be
    > upgraded, and you could have access to a larger range of audio with
    > multiple cards. 256MB isn't much.

    256mb is enough for me. Its approx 60 songs.. it just means I would have
    to rotate my songs more frequently, which is no big deal.
    JC, Dec 19, 2005
  7. JC

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:58:28 +1300, JC <> exclaimed:

    >Mark C wrote:
    >> JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >>

    >>>Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>>Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    >Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    >Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?

    A lot less than from an MP3 player.

    MP3 players have no moving parts.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 19, 2005
  8. JC

    ardz Guest

    "Fred Dagg" > wrote in message

    > A lot less than from an MP3 player.
    >
    > MP3 players have no moving parts.

    Actually CD/MP3 walkmans have quite good battery life these days. I have a
    Sony CD/MP3 walkman that has 40plus hours battery life on its rechargeables.
    Even the old Minidisc which has moving parts can outdo them all for battery
    life on their rechargeables.
    ardz, Dec 19, 2005
  9. JC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JC wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >> JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >>

    >>> Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>> Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    > Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    > Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?

    Around 16 hours+ for the ex's one, running NiMH batteries.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 19, 2005
  10. JC

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:58:28 +1300, JC <> exclaimed:
    >

    >>Mark C wrote:

    >>>No, sorry.
    >>>
    >>>Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >>>No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    >>Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    >>Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?

    > A lot less than from an MP3 player.

    My Panasonic probably does about 20 hours; longer if playing normal CDs.
    The drive only spins up until the buffer is full, but even so, the MP3
    decoding seems to use more power. I'm fairly sure that is longer than
    many MP3 players.

    > MP3 players have no moving parts.

    CD players have bigger batteries.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 19, 2005
  11. JC

    J Brockley Guest

    I suspect as far as sound is concerned the biggest improvement will be to
    buy some better earphones as the internals are probably very similar across
    most players. It also likely they will use a AAA battery as this is cheaper
    than an internal lithium battery.
    Might be worth looking at something that takes a memory card for better
    flexibility. These don't actually cost that much extra:-
    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...=1162&osCsid=2b67d473e6e5d9ba790f408faed907a9

    J Brockley, Dec 19, 2005
  12. JC

    Jerry Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    > Pity it is a Sony, though. Stuff *them*.

    I wonder is a Sony Walkman can get a Sony rootkit virus, or does it come
    pre-loaded? ;)
    Jerry, Dec 19, 2005
  13. JC

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:58:28 +1300, JC <> wrote:

    >Mark C wrote:
    >> JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >>

    >>>Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>>Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    >Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    >Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?

    The Warehouse Sanyo one looks nice but no memory size quoted..
    XP, Dec 19, 2005
  14. On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:22:51 +1300, JC <> wrote:
    Well I have a 256 dse mp3 usb drive/player, and one of the mp3 player
    discman.
    Usb I have had 2 odd months love it because i change my music taste
    often battery life good because i just plug in to usb and it recharges
    as im downloading.
    I have found it a bit slow to put music on to it.
    Plus mine you can use as a drive as well for moving files to other
    comps.
    Battery life in the dse discman was great dont know how long it really
    lasted because it was so long between battery changes i would forget
    when i put the last ones in.
    Usb mp3 They are cheap and you get what you pay for you can go forward
    one song at a time or back one you dont know how many are on there
    without a comp but the sounds are good bl dy good in fact.
    I connect mine to the house stereo and the car.

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz, Dec 19, 2005
  15. JC

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:19:51 +1300, JC <> wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Mark C wrote:

    >>> No, sorry.
    >>>
    >>> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >>> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    >> Pity it is a Sony, though. Stuff *them*.
    >>
    >> I've got a Panasonic MP3 CD player, which was used by my partner full
    >> time, until she got an iPod. The CD player is large and bulky, the
    >> interface isn't great, you have to swap discs. Great at the time, but
    >> really, a product that has been superseded by technology. It is rarely
    >> used now.
    >>
    >> AFA the original question is concerned, surely you expect to get what
    >> you pay for; at that price they almost certainly aren't going to be
    >> great. Won't both places allow you to return them if they are *really*
    >> awful?

    >Yep they probably would allow for returns.
    >> I'd be looking for something with an SD slot so capacity can be
    >> upgraded, and you could have access to a larger range of audio with
    >> multiple cards. 256MB isn't much.

    >256mb is enough for me. Its approx 60 songs.. it just means I would have
    >to rotate my songs more frequently, which is no big deal.

    And more songs if you use WMA...

    http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2082836328;pid;1170;pt;2#cb

    http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2082836328;pid;1170;pt;1

    http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/rexcomposer/userfiles/100009575.pdf
    XP, Dec 19, 2005
  16. JC

    David Guest

    JC wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >
    >> JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    >>

    >>> Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    >>> Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    >> No, sorry.
    >>
    >> Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    >> No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    > Yep I looked at those, well a similar model. But the size put me off.
    > Though what is the average battery life from a cd/mp3 walkman?

    I used to have a sony cd-mp3 walkman, quite an old one. They claimed
    36hours for audio and 24 for MP3. I mostly used audio CDs, it lasted a
    good couple of weeks (a few hours of listening each day). If portability
    isn't an issue, these are quite good value for money, especially for the
    backwards compatiblity with your Audio CDs. I don't see why they don't
    make DVD versions, they would be quite useful. Now I have a 20gig iPod,
    I would never go back, mainly because of the portability and how quickly
    I can add music. However I don't think I need 20gb, its too small to
    hold all my music, so I only keep the stuff I'm currently listening to
    on it. Its nice to be able to have a few classic albums on hand too,
    nice suprise when they come up in shuffle mode. IMHO 256 is the absolute
    min, I like to listen to albums, 256mb would only get you 2-4 CD-length
    albums.
    David, Dec 19, 2005
  17. JC

    tarc Guest

    In my humble opinion Sony Walkman start off fine uploading music then get
    dodgy as they reject some songs and put restrictions on how many times songs
    can be uploaded:(

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Mark C wrote:
    > > JC <> wrote in news:do4ju1$v07$:
    > >

    > >>Does anyone know anything about the DSE 256mb mp3 player and the
    > >>Warehouse 256 Colbolt mp3 player.

    > > No, sorry.
    > >
    > > Consider instead, a Sony MP3 Walkman, also available at DSE (IIRC).
    > > No internal RAM, but can read MP3 files from a CD-R or CD-RW.

    > Pity it is a Sony, though. Stuff *them*.

    ..
    tarc, Dec 20, 2005
  18. -=rjh=- <> writes:

    >I'd be looking for something with an SD slot so capacity can be
    >upgraded, and you could have access to a larger range of audio with
    >multiple cards. 256MB isn't much.

    The Legend Jazz would be a good choice for this, its memory is provided via an
    SD slot, you can get the bare player for about $35 and then add whatever
    memory you want from flashcards.co.nz. The only downside is that it doesn't
    appear to do ID3, but apart from that it does everything you'd need.

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Jan 2, 2006
  19. JC

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter Gutmann wrote:
    > -=rjh=- <> writes:
    >

    >>I'd be looking for something with an SD slot so capacity can be
    >>upgraded, and you could have access to a larger range of audio with
    >>multiple cards. 256MB isn't much.

    > The Legend Jazz would be a good choice for this, its memory is provided via an
    > SD slot, you can get the bare player for about $35 and then add whatever
    > memory you want from flashcards.co.nz. The only downside is that it doesn't
    > appear to do ID3, but apart from that it does everything you'd need.

    For not much more cost than a bare card reader, you certainly get a lot
    of extras - up to 2GB capacity, MP3+WMA, display, AAA battery, hold
    function.

    And for the price, not much comes close. For a bit more, Sandisk make a
    product that has an FM tuner and some memory built in, as well as a SD
    card slot.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 2, 2006