    see new ones under $2k. My current one is 486/33, and is slow... Be
    nice to have one made this century
    Geoff
    geoffm, Aug 27, 2003

  2. "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am looking at going back to Uni next year, which will be a shock for
    > the budget and the brain cells. I will need a cheap laptop for WP/
    > Excel, etc. Any recommendations? What is best second hand, or new> I
    > see new ones under $2k. My current one is 486/33, and is slow... Be
    > nice to have one made this century
    > Geoff

    I bought a new Toshiba Satellite A10, two weeks ago, for just over $3000.-.
    I want the 2.2Gig processor and 40 Gig harddrive, 2 USB ports etc, because I
    may want to do some video editing in the future.

    I had my Toshiba Satellite with a broken hinge repaired, and replaced the
    6Gig harddisk with a 20 Gig one. Reason - I know its history, like, it has
    not been dropped. Cost was 800 dollars, then I upgraded its Windows98SE to
    Windows XP home edition. Reason - my housemate is going to use that machine,
    Windows98SE will not be supported for much longer, and if Sandra has
    problems to sort out, I don't want to mess around with a diffeent version of
    OS.

    The upshot of this is - You may want a new machine to get the latest version
    of OS, but a 700Mhz PIII processor may do for you, if you can still get one.

    Secondhand - you must know the history. There are wear and tear issues and
    questions about accidental damage.

    I bought both machines at Portables+, and they also stock secondhand
    machines. The A10 cost less than a similarly specced machine at Harvey
    Normans, and it came with Windows XP professional. Portables+ are associated
    with a repair center right next door.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Aug 27, 2003

  3. geoffm

    jedmesiter Guest

    Check the Dell NZ website...I bought a dell Inspiron 8100 laptop in 2001,
    and was the best deal going at the time. The 1.2Ghz processor is plenty to
    run applications such as Word, excel, internet etc. Even good for games, as
    it has a radeon 9700 mobile graphics.

    (dells customer service is bad though, they delivered my laptop to
    England....and it got lost...so they sent another..)

    jedmesiter, Aug 27, 2003
  4. geoffm

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    geoffm <> wrote in

    > I am looking at going back to Uni next year, which will be a shock for
    > the budget and the brain cells. I will need a cheap laptop for WP/
    > Excel, etc. Any recommendations? What is best second hand, or new> I
    > see new ones under $2k. My current one is 486/33, and is slow... Be
    > nice to have one made this century
    > Geoff

    Talking about Dell, theres a thread happening on their laptops - started on
    24/08/03.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Aug 28, 2003
  5. geoffm wrote:
    > I am looking at going back to Uni next year, which will be a shock for
    > the budget and the brain cells. I will need a cheap laptop for WP/
    > Excel, etc. Any recommendations? What is best second hand, or new> I
    > see new ones under $2k. My current one is 486/33, and is slow... Be
    > nice to have one made this century

    Ask at Big Byte if they have any old stock. My mate picked up a nice P3
    1.2ghz for about $1250 this way.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 28, 2003
  6. geoffm

    Peter White Guest

    Hi All.
    You can get a brand new Tosh Sat from Portables for 2K Incl GST

    I see that they also have a range of second hand laptops around the $1000
    Mark. Allways deals going on.

    Pete

    Peter White, Aug 28, 2003
  7. geoffm

    John Guest

    I have an Ibook for $600 with inkjet printer & MS Office...
    In Wellington.

    Dont flame me for buying it, Harvey Norman sold it to my wife, along
    with a <brace yourself> $750 4 speed USB cdwriter!
    All it was was a mitsumi with a USB interface card on the back of the
    IDE socket in a blue translucent case!
    All done 3 years ago.

    john@ myplace co nz if interested
    John, Aug 28, 2003