budget CPU takes crown

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, May 11, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Nova, May 11, 2006

  2. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    > beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >
    > If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    Wow!! Makes me wish I was building a new PC about now. That's enough of an
    incentive to make me change my AMD-only rule that started when the P4s first
    came out and Intel chopped the Tualatin.

    Alas! My very O/C'able XP2500+ will have to last me for a while yet.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 11, 2006

  3. Nova

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    > beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >
    > If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    What! - 210W (and 125A current) fully loaded!

    Now, how am I going to cram that into a micro ATX case :)

    -=rjh=-, May 11, 2006
  4. Nova

    XPD Guest

    Hehe exactly why Im eyeing one up to replace my p3 system very soon...
    that chip with a ASUS P5ND2-SLI mobo should make for a decent machine :)

    XPD, May 11, 2006
  5. "Nova" <> wrote in message news:44627fb6$...
    >A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown beating
    >the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >
    > If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    That CPU + a cheap Intel 945 based motherboard + some generic DDR2-667 would
    be great.

    Overclock it to 166FSB which would run the CPU at 3.3GHz and the RAM at full
    speed, using the stock fan.

    And to think I spent over $500 on my AMD 3800 X2, more than that Pentium D
    805 + motherboard would cost.

    I still wouldn't buy it though, not with it's massive power usage and Conroe
    due out soon.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, May 11, 2006
  6. Nova

    Mercury Guest

    How did they propose to get rid of all that extra heat? It is talked about -
    about - but no viable solution was made. Until you work out how to get that
    extra heat away, you have a bundle of problems. You are likley to need a
    quality water cooling system and this will add around $400 to your costs.

    For the amount of heat produced, somehow I don't think any of the quality
    air cooled solutions would work adequately. But then you could try a few to
    see if any work well enough - they're only $80 or more each to tinker with.

    Mercury, May 11, 2006
  7. Nova

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Nova wrote:
    > > A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    > > beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    > >
    > > If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    > >
    > > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    > Wow!! Makes me wish I was building a new PC about now. That's enough of an
    > incentive to make me change my AMD-only rule that started when the P4s

    first
    > came out and Intel chopped the Tualatin.
    >
    > Alas! My very O/C'able XP2500+ will have to last me for a while yet.
    > --

    What speed are you getting with the Xp2500. Hmm my Mum has one in her
    shuttle. "Here is your mothers day present, I upgraded your pc "....

    That might work?

    ;-)

    Craig Sutton, May 11, 2006
  8. Nova

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:23:51 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Nova wrote:
    >> A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    >> beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >>
    >> If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    >What! - 210W (and 125A current) fully loaded!
    >
    >Now, how am I going to cram that into a micro ATX case :)

    It said 500 watts at the wall. It would be too expensive to leave this running
    24/7 :)

    Craig Shore, May 11, 2006
  9. Nova

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:23:51 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>> A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    >>> beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >>>
    >>> If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    >> What! - 210W (and 125A current) fully loaded!
    >>
    >> Now, how am I going to cram that into a micro ATX case :)

    > It said 500 watts at the wall. It would be too expensive to leave this running
    > 24/7 :)

    $280.00 for the CPU; $525.00 for power to run it per year.

    PCs should be coming with a wetback option real soon now :)

    They'll need installation by a plumber, a visit from a plumbing
    inspector and a permit from the council, too.

    Seriously, though, this kind of power consumption for a PC is just
    insane. Even normally clocked PCs are over the top in this respect.

    -=rjh=-, May 11, 2006
  10. Nova

    Dave Taylor Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::

    > Seriously, though, this kind of power consumption for a PC is just
    > insane. Even normally clocked PCs are over the top in this respect.

    500watts is lots, yes, but if you need the speed to get WORK done...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2006
  11. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > How did they propose to get rid of all that extra heat? It is talked about -
    > about - but no viable solution was made. Until you work out how to get that
    > extra heat away, you have a bundle of problems. You are likley to need a
    > quality water cooling system and this will add around $400 to your costs.
    >
    > For the amount of heat produced, somehow I don't think any of the quality
    > air cooled solutions would work adequately. But then you could try a few to
    > see if any work well enough - they're only $80 or more each to tinker with.

    Obviously they managed to do it , as they said overclocking at lower
    speeds wasnt a problem, then they had to change fans to a zalman, at the
    highest 4.0ghz+ speeds they were using watercooling. Did you read the
    article?

    As for getting rid of heat out of the case there are _loads_ of articles
    on tomshardware or any overclocking site that go into this in detail.

    If tomshardware say they can run it reliably at those speeds it means
    they have tested it :)

    Nova, May 11, 2006
  12. Nova

    Mercury Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:4463a09f$...
    > Mercury wrote:
    >> How did they propose to get rid of all that extra heat? It is talked
    >> about - about - but no viable solution was made. Until you work out how
    >> to get that extra heat away, you have a bundle of problems. You are
    >> likley to need a quality water cooling system and this will add around
    >> $400 to your costs.
    >>
    >> For the amount of heat produced, somehow I don't think any of the quality
    >> air cooled solutions would work adequately. But then you could try a few
    >> to see if any work well enough - they're only $80 or more each to tinker
    >> with.
    >>

    > Obviously they managed to do it , as they said overclocking at lower
    > speeds wasnt a problem, then they had to change fans to a zalman, at the
    > highest 4.0ghz+ speeds they were using watercooling. Did you read the
    > article?

    Yes... there was no depth on this front. My point is that when one considers
    this more fully and includes water cooling in the equation then it changes
    the basis of the article since a water cooling unit will cost more than the
    CPU!

    > As for getting rid of heat out of the case there are _loads_ of articles
    > on tomshardware or any overclocking site that go into this in detail.
    >
    > If tomshardware say they can run it reliably at those speeds it means they
    > have tested it :)

    Of course! A few shots of their liquid helium stuff would have been nice
    though.

    Mercury, May 11, 2006
  13. T'was the Thu, 11 May 2006 23:31:54 +1200 when I remembered -=rjh=-
    <> saying something like this:

    >Seriously, though, this kind of power consumption for a PC is just
    >insane. Even normally clocked PCs are over the top in this respect.

    I guess that's one of the advantages of say going towards something a
    little easier in the power regards yet still having performance, i.e.
    Intel Core Duo type processor.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, May 12, 2006
  14. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:4463a09f$...
    >> Mercury wrote:
    >>> How did they propose to get rid of all that extra heat? It is talked
    >>> about - about - but no viable solution was made. Until you work out how
    >>> to get that extra heat away, you have a bundle of problems. You are
    >>> likley to need a quality water cooling system and this will add around
    >>> $400 to your costs.
    >>>
    >>> For the amount of heat produced, somehow I don't think any of the quality
    >>> air cooled solutions would work adequately. But then you could try a few
    >>> to see if any work well enough - they're only $80 or more each to tinker
    >>> with.
    >>>

    >> Obviously they managed to do it , as they said overclocking at lower
    >> speeds wasnt a problem, then they had to change fans to a zalman, at the
    >> highest 4.0ghz+ speeds they were using watercooling. Did you read the
    >> article?

    > Yes... there was no depth on this front. My point is that when one considers
    > this more fully and includes water cooling in the equation then it changes
    > the basis of the article since a water cooling unit will cost more than the
    > CPU!
    >

    >> As for getting rid of heat out of the case there are _loads_ of articles
    >> on tomshardware or any overclocking site that go into this in detail.
    >>
    >> If tomshardware say they can run it reliably at those speeds it means they
    >> have tested it :)

    > Of course! A few shots of their liquid helium stuff would have been nice
    > though.

    Well they only needed the water cooling when it was running at 4ghz.
    A water cooler + the cpu is still cheaper than over the one grand USD
    you'd pay to get the equivalent high end cpu. so for extreme gamers who
    would fork out that kind of $$ its still a good deal for them cause it
    not only beats the performance of the high end cpu's its cheaper.

    They still had it running at like 3.5 ghz on an air cooler which
    so a dual core 3.5ghz processor for nz 250 is still pretty good I think.

    Of course the power usage is insane, but for most gamers, they don't
    look at power usage :)

    Nova, May 12, 2006
  15. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>> A cpu that can be bought for about $NZD 250 in NZ takes the crown
    >>> beating the best CPU's from AMD and Intel that cost over 1,000 USD.
    >>>
    >>> If I was about to buy a cpu I certainly would be buying that :)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

    >> Wow!! Makes me wish I was building a new PC about now. That's enough
    >> of an incentive to make me change my AMD-only rule that started when
    >> the P4s first came out and Intel chopped the Tualatin.
    >>
    >> Alas! My very O/C'able XP2500+ will have to last me for a while yet.
    >> --

    > What speed are you getting with the Xp2500. Hmm my Mum has one in her
    > shuttle. "Here is your mothers day present, I upgraded your pc "....

    I currently have it on 200MHz FSB, a 10.5 multiplier and 1.50V vcore. BIOS
    tells me it's an XP3000+.

    However, at default vcore (1.65V) it'll run 200 x 11 (XP3200+) easilly. Now
    it's winter I think I'll speed it up a bit, I was encoding XviDs last night
    and the die temp was only 42°C at 100% CPU load. Idles at 30.

    To play as much as I do you need an unlocked one. However, some unlocked
    ones will "become" XP3200+'s just by changing the FSB to 200MHz (if your RAM
    is PC3200 or better) and maybe increasing vcore slightly (keeping an eye on
    temps, MBM5 is ideal for this).

    A lot also depends on your mobo. If it has 'locked' PCI and AGP speeds (and
    your CPU is locked) then maybe a 180MHz FSB (or so) would be a good
    improvement if it won't do 200 stably (or the RAM isn't rated or capable of
    200). A lot of XP2500+s were 'downgraded' XP3200+s as there was far more
    demand for the cheaper component.

    Have fun. As always, test stability (and maximum likely operating temp) with
    Prime95 in torture-test mode.
    --
    Shaun. (About to re-boot his PC and speed up the CPU)

    ~misfit~, May 12, 2006
  16. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> Mercury wrote:
    >>> How did they propose to get rid of all that extra heat? It is talked
    >>> about - about - but no viable solution was made. Until you work out
    >>> how to get that extra heat away, you have a bundle of problems. You
    >>> are likley to need a quality water cooling system and this will add
    >>> around $400 to your costs.
    >>>
    >>> For the amount of heat produced, somehow I don't think any of the
    >>> quality air cooled solutions would work adequately. But then you
    >>> could try a few to see if any work well enough - they're only $80
    >>> or more each to tinker with.
    >>>

    >> Obviously they managed to do it , as they said overclocking at lower
    >> speeds wasnt a problem, then they had to change fans to a zalman, at
    >> the highest 4.0ghz+ speeds they were using watercooling. Did you
    >> read the article?

    > Yes... there was no depth on this front. My point is that when one
    > considers this more fully and includes water cooling in the equation
    > then it changes the basis of the article since a water cooling unit
    > will cost more than the CPU!

    I don't think so. Brands like Thermaltake do off-the-shelf units that are
    far less expensive than the difference between that CPU and an Intel Extreme
    Edition. Quite a few O/C'ers will have water-cooling gear already as well.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 12, 2006