    TIA

    BB
    NZ
    BB, Jul 31, 2005

  2. BB

    Thor Guest

    BB wrote:

    > I asked this a few months back, but went overseas just after and forgot to
    > check for replies...
    >
    > Anyway, our 12yr old boy is a good artist, he can draw really well free
    > hand. I've just slapped a PC together for him out of spare bits (AMD 1200,
    > good AGP video card) and I'd like to find some software that might help
    > him with his art on the computer.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any good applications that he could try?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    The Gimp would be a good start.

    http://www.gimp.org/

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor
    Thor, Jul 31, 2005

  3. BB

    gl Guest

    A Wacom Intuos graphics tablet would probably be a good investment for
    him...

    gl, Jul 31, 2005
  4. BB wrote:
    > Anyway, our 12yr old boy is a good artist, he can draw really well free
    > hand. I've just slapped a PC together for him out of spare bits (AMD 1200,
    > good AGP video card) and I'd like to find some software that might help him
    > with his art on the computer.

    A graphics tablet. It's hard to go wrong buying a Wacom.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlcok
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 31, 2005
  5. BB

    Enkidu Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > BB wrote:
    >

    >>I asked this a few months back, but went overseas just after and forgot to
    >>check for replies...
    >>
    >>Anyway, our 12yr old boy is a good artist, he can draw really well free
    >>hand. I've just slapped a PC together for him out of spare bits (AMD 1200,
    >>good AGP video card) and I'd like to find some software that might help
    >>him with his art on the computer.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend any good applications that he could try?

    > The Gimp would be a good start.
    >
    > http://www.gimp.org/

    A 12yr old *might* get the GIMP. I don't though I've tried
    it a few times. If I was seriously into graphics I'd get a
    BIIIIIG monitor.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 31, 2005
  6. BB

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "BB" <> wrote in message
    >I asked this a few months back, but went overseas just after and forgot to
    > check for replies...
    >
    > Anyway, our 12yr old boy is a good artist, he can draw really well free
    > hand. I've just slapped a PC together for him out of spare bits (AMD 1200,
    > good AGP video card) and I'd like to find some software that might help
    > him
    > with his art on the computer.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any good applications that he could try?

    If he is good at freehand art, and wants to computerise it, he needs
    this.....

    ArtRage is a free painting package that lets you play around with realistic
    painting tools in a simple, intuitive environment. ArtRage lets you paint
    your own picture from a blank canvas, or load an image to 'trace' using any
    of its painting tools, letting you recreate your own images as paintings.

    ArtRage is a painting package designed provide a natural and easy to use
    environment for producing art on your computer. By providing realistic tools
    such as oil paints and pencils, and simulating the real world dynamics of
    those media, ArtRage allows any user to play around with paint without the
    expense and mess of its real world counterpart. By providing Tracing tools,
    ArtRage lets any level of user produce paintings based on photographs or
    other existing images.

    Best part about it, it's free!!!! It's like having an easel and real paints,
    and very easy to learn for young people. Best of all, it's designed in
    NZ!!!

    http://www.ambientdesign.com/index.html

    Works well with a mouse, but a Wacom tablet would help lots!

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey
    Mark Remfrey, Jul 31, 2005
  7. BB

    Ross Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:15:25 +1200, "Mark Remfrey"
    <> wrote:

    >"BB" <> wrote in message
    >>I asked this a few months back, but went overseas just after and forgot to
    >> check for replies...
    >>
    >> Anyway, our 12yr old boy is a good artist, he can draw really well free
    >> hand. I've just slapped a PC together for him out of spare bits (AMD 1200,
    >> good AGP video card) and I'd like to find some software that might help
    >> him
    >> with his art on the computer.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend any good applications that he could try?
    >>

    >If he is good at freehand art, and wants to computerise it, he needs
    >this.....
    >
    >ArtRage is a free painting package that lets you play around with realistic
    >painting tools in a simple, intuitive environment. ArtRage lets you paint
    >your own picture from a blank canvas, or load an image to 'trace' using any
    >of its painting tools, letting you recreate your own images as paintings.
    >
    >ArtRage is a painting package designed provide a natural and easy to use
    >environment for producing art on your computer. By providing realistic tools
    >such as oil paints and pencils, and simulating the real world dynamics of
    >those media, ArtRage allows any user to play around with paint without the
    >expense and mess of its real world counterpart. By providing Tracing tools,
    >ArtRage lets any level of user produce paintings based on photographs or
    >other existing images.
    >
    >Best part about it, it's free!!!! It's like having an easel and real paints,
    >and very easy to learn for young people. Best of all, it's designed in
    >NZ!!!
    >
    >http://www.ambientdesign.com/index.html
    >
    >Works well with a mouse, but a Wacom tablet would help lots!
    >
    >Regards,
    >Mark Remfrey

    And get "Open Canvas 1.1" (freeware).
    Up to 4 people can simultaneously paint on one picture (network or
    internet). You can also save a "replay" (WPE file) to show others the
    painting being made. Some examples are on
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10969&page=1
    Ross, Jul 31, 2005
  8. In article <nOXGe.4772$>, "BB" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend any good applications that he could try?

    Painter from Fractal Designs? Corel? Whoever the hell owns it now?

    Simulates oil and watercolour paints, chalk, felt pens, pencils, paper
    textures--all the fun without the actual mess.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005