    WIN2K and when I boot it, I can hear a distinct "bubble pop" just about the
    time everything gets loaded, that makes me think something is infiltrating
    my system. Help?
    anon, Jan 3, 2004

  2. anon

    Sultan Guest

    anon wrote in news::

    > I am experiencing a very strange situation. My system is running at
    > barely a crawl. I have McAfee and I have run it time and time again
    > not to find any viruses. But something is obviously weighing down my
    > system. I am running WIN2K and when I boot it, I can hear a distinct
    > "bubble pop" just about the time everything gets loaded, that makes me
    > think something is infiltrating my system. Help?

    Try first running an online virus scan such as the one on
    pandasoftware.com. Next download and install Spybot Search and Destroy
    (do a google search for it) make sure its completely updated and then
    scan your system, it is very good at finding nasties that virus scanners
    are not made to find.
    You didn't mention which OS your using but its important to keep up on
    all critical updates and security patches released. Also run an firewall
    program on your PC as well, there are a load of them to choose from, I
    use Zone Alarm but there are others just as capable.
    Post back if your not able to resolve.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 3, 2004

  3. anon

    Trax Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:42:08 -0500, "anon" <> wrote:

    |>I am experiencing a very strange situation. My system is running at barely
    |>a crawl. I have McAfee and I have run it time and time again not to find any
    |>viruses. But something is obviously weighing down my system. I am running
    |>WIN2K and when I boot it, I can hear a distinct "bubble pop" just about the
    |>time everything gets loaded, that makes me think something is infiltrating
    |>my system. Help?

    See if you don't have that sound selected to play at start-up, it's possible...

    Also run <Win+R> taskmgr, see what's taking all the cpu.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    Trax, Jan 3, 2004
  4. anon

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:42:08 -0500, in
    <>
    anon scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004
  5. anon

    Soup Guest

    Sultan wrote:
    <snip>
    >> I am running WIN2K

    <snip>
    > You didn't mention which OS your using

    <snip>

    You must have missed this bit .

    --
    Yours S.
    addy not usable (not that you would try it)
    Soup, Jan 3, 2004
  6. anon

    Harrison Guest

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.

    Download and run hijackthis from http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    and paste the results here for further review.

    Harrison, Jan 3, 2004
  7. anon

    Sultan Guest

    Soup wrote in news:AJxJb.5467$:

    >Sultan wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >> I am running WIN2K

    > <snip>
    >> You didn't mention which OS your using

    > <snip>
    >
    > You must have missed this bit .

    Egahds! What I get for reading things while half asleep.

    Sultan, Jan 3, 2004
  8. anon

    anon Guest

    Did all you suggested and I'm still running slower than molasses! No
    viruses showed up? Now what?

    anon, Jan 4, 2004
  9. anon

    Sultan Guest

    Well at least you know it isn't a virus which removes that from the
    equation.
    Take a look at Task Manager and see if your cpu utilization is high and
    if so which program or programs are eating up cpu time.
    Other ideas are how much Ram do you have installed? Minimum you should
    have is 128MB but you will likely experience system slowness compared to
    having 256MB.
    Another suggestion is looking at how many programs you have starting in
    your startup menu, having too many running at once will eat system
    resources. One of these programs may be the source of the bubble pop
    sound you are hearing. Try narrowing them down to see, you can always add
    them back in.
    Did the problem start after installing some particular program? These are
    the kinds of questions you can ask yourself to try and narrow down the
    possible causes.
    Hope this provides some help for you. If not you can always make sure you
    have your data files backed up and start over with a clean install of
    Win2K.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 4, 2004