BT Voyager 2100 problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Hi

    The problem is strange really, but hopefully someone will have an answer:

    I have a main PC connected to a BT Voyager 2100 router via an ethernet cable
    which works absolutely fine. I also have an Acer Aspire 1520 laptop which
    has WiFi and I wish to connect to the internet via this method.

    I have actually suceeded in this but the connection is very unstable and can
    collapse at a moments notice. I then try to search for the connection again,
    only to have the message "cannot find wireless connection" or something like
    that appear, even though the modem is right next to the laptop!

    I also find that even walking 5 meters away from the modem severs the
    connection which is extremely frustrating.

    Is this a problem with the WiFi do you think? Or maybe something is
    interfering with the router in some way?

    I would be grateful for any and all help.

    Kind regards

    Tom
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Sounds like a wifi problem - try reloading the driver. My 2100 works fine but
    I use a USB adapter on the laptop.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEI=?=, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Hi and thanks for your helpful e-mail - I was beginning to think I was going
    crazy!

    Just a couple of things - the laptop did not come with any CDs as such - can
    you tell me how I would go about re-installing the driver?

    Also, you mentioned a USB adaptor - any idea where I can get one and what I
    am looking for?

    I am grateful for your help so far

    Kind regards

    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Hi again

    I should have added that the laptop is only a day old, so I think the
    problem is probably more with the router, especially since wiggling the areal
    restores the connection.

    Any ideas as to how I might improve the signal from the router?

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Mar 26, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

    WLW Guest

    That sounds like it is possible that the connection to the antenna on the
    router is actually broken. Check to see if the antenna connection can be
    tightened or secured. If you cannot secure it the either take it in to a
    reputable tech shop or have the manufacturer repair or replace it.

    If those are not options then you may have to fall back on a "hay-wire" fix:
    I have fixed more than a few of the Linksys Wireless Routers with "loose"
    antennas by using 5-minute epoxy.
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com