BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by bigt, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. bigt

    bigt Guest

    I have just purchased a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL router (plus 2 1040 PCI
    adaptors for my desktops and a laptop adaptor). All installed fine
    (SSID changed and hidden, WPA setup OK) and I can access the internet
    from all 3 machines.

    The instructions supplied by BT was good for this. However, I am now
    stuck as I do not know the next steps to take to setup 'file and
    printer sharing'. BT do not supply details of this.

    I am running Windows XP SP2. I have turned off Windows firewall as I
    use the freebie Zonealarm. However, I have managed to turn on file and
    printer sharing. Therefore I can setup up a printer as being shareable.
    I just don't see it on another pc but I assume that is because the
    network is not set up correctly.

    Do I use the 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard'. However that confuses me
    as it asks for a new SSID and WPA key. That I have already done when
    setting up the Voyager 2100. I do not wish to confuse the current
    setup.

    Does anyone have successful experience of setting up the network? If so
    could you point me in the right direction where to proceed next.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    bigt, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Unless you know exactly how to configure ZonaAlarm to allow file and printer
    sharing, your first step should be to uninstall ZoneAlarm. Don't try
    disabling it, uninstall it altogether. You can use the SP2 firewall with an
    exception for file and printer sharing, or after you get the network
    working, you can try reinstalling ZoneAlarm.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 4, 2005

  3. bigt

    bigt Guest

    Re: BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    Doug,

    Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I didn't quite do what you
    suggested but disabled Zonealarm and assigned XP firewall instead on
    the 2 machines that I was trying to share printers between. I was able
    to print from one machine to the printer on the other and vise-versa.

    I now need to try and work out how to set up Zonealarm to allow file
    and printer sharing. If I get stuck i will post another question.

    Thanks again for your help.
    bigt, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Re: BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    ZoneAlarm and other 3rd party firewalls are notorious for not allowing file
    and printer sharing even when 'disabled.' Fortunately, this was not the
    case for you. ZoneAlarm is capable of allowing standard Windows file
    sharing, but you will have to read the manual closely to get this setup
    right. If you have problems, your best bet is a google search or ZoneAlarm
    support site.

    Good luck.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 4, 2005
  5. bigt

    bigt Guest

    Re: BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    Doug,

    Managed to set up Zonealarm to allow file and printer sharing across my
    network. All 3 pcs now recognise all printers connected. Haven't tried
    file sharing yet but not so bothered with that.

    Thanks again.
    bigt, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Re: BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    Go get 'em!

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 4, 2005
  7. bigt

    bigt Guest

    Re: BT Voyager 2100 and Network Setup

    Doug,

    Just to close this posting to say that file sharing is now working
    fine. A few glitches (mainly misunderstandings on my part) but I can
    read, copy and update files between machines.

    Regards
    bigt, Aug 6, 2005