BT VoIP problem, I would like your thoughts

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Andy Evans, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Andy Evans

    Andy Evans Guest

    Dear All
    I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT

    Details are:-
    05600 number
    ADSL service via Freeola
    Linksys WAG54g Router
    BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT

    Problem is:- (besides BT)
    Out going call are fine
    Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
    If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
    expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
    unobtainable.
    At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
    lifted.
    From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
    from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.

    This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
    I have my own theory but would like your opinion
    Andy

    Andy Evans, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Thus spaketh Andy Evans:
    > Dear All
    > I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT
    >
    > Details are:-
    > 05600 number
    > ADSL service via Freeola
    > Linksys WAG54g Router
    > BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT
    >
    > Problem is:- (besides BT)
    > Out going call are fine
    > Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
    > If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
    > expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
    > unobtainable.
    > At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
    > lifted.
    > From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
    > from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.
    >
    > This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
    > I have my own theory but would like your opinion
    > Andy

    I've not tried BT VoIP, but when I've tried other VoIP services the
    symptoms you state are ones I've had when I've tried only enabling
    certain codecs and my VoIP adapter / service was unable to agree to
    using a codec with the calling party, so the call hangs up straight
    away, with the unobtainable both ends as you describe.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Andy Evans

    acierinox Guest

    Re: BT VoIP problem, I would like your thoughts

    On Feb 4, 4:19 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > Thus spaketh Andy Evans:
    >
    > > Dear All
    > > I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT

    > > Details are:-
    > > 05600 number
    > > ADSL service via Freeola
    > > Linksys WAG54g Router
    > > BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT

    > > Problem is:- (besides BT)
    > > Out going call are fine
    > > Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
    > > If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
    > > expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
    > > unobtainable.
    > > At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
    > > lifted.
    > > From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
    > > from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.

    > > This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
    > > I have my own theory but would like your opinion
    > > Andy

    > I've not tried BT VoIP, but when I've tried other VoIP services the
    > symptoms you state are ones I've had when I've tried only enabling
    > certain codecs and my VoIP adapter / service was unable to agree to
    > using a codec with the calling party, so the call hangs up straight
    > away, with the unobtainable both ends as you describe.

    Have you tried putting the IP address of the BT Voyager 10V adaptor
    into the router's DMZ ? The Linksys router may be blocking various
    ports. I had a similar problem with a Linksys BEFSR41 router and
    Linksys PAP2 ATA.

    acierinox, Feb 7, 2007