    it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

    TIA
    Robert
    Robert Hill, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Robert Hill

    Jono Guest

    Robert Hill explained :
    > At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue system to a new BT
    > digital system with broadband module. There will be a button for an VOIP
    > connection but if we use BT VOIP this will cost apparently £18.99 per month!
    > So, how does one route a system like this to connect with a free VOIP
    > provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads the software and off you
    > go, but in a phone system how can it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

    The simplest way would be to connect an ATA to the system - if it's
    capable of conecting to analogue lines, that is.

    The ATA would simply make your phone system think it is connected to a
    physical PSTN line.
    Jono, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Robert Hill

    Paul Guest

    Robert Hill wrote:
    > At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue
    > system to a new BT digital system with broadband module.
    > There will be a button for an VOIP connection but if we use
    > BT VOIP this will cost apparently £18.99 per month! So, how
    > does one route a system like this to connect with a free
    > VOIP provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads
    > the software and off you go, but in a phone system how can
    > it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?
    >
    > TIA
    > Robert

    If you want to do that why don't you buy a proper IP-PBX in the first
    place? I don't see the point in buying a proprietary digital phone
    system and then having to buy extra hardware to be able to convert from
    analogue to IP when you can just buy an IP PBX.

    I'm guessing this is going to be a very small system since you're
    worried about paying £18.99 per month so I'd suggest your best options
    are either a pre-packaged Asterisk based PBX system or a hosted system
    by someone like Gradwell or Voipfone.

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul, Feb 13, 2007
  4. In article <45d1b298$0$28982$>,
    Robert Hill <> wrote:
    >At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue
    >system to a new BT digital system with broadband module.
    >There will be a button for an VOIP connection but if we use
    >BT VOIP this will cost apparently £18.99 per month! So, how
    >does one route a system like this to connect with a free
    >VOIP provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads
    >the software and off you go, but in a phone system how can
    >it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

    Dump the proprietary BT solution and go for an open solution.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 13, 2007