    a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
    deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, May 11, 2006

  2. Steven Sumpter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Steven Sumpter wrote:
    > This morning I was woken up by a series of calls from 08456021111. When I
    > eventually answered it, (On the fourth call to my phone) it claimed to be
    > BT delivering text messages and that I had 10 messages from a mobile
    > number I didn't recognise.
    >
    > Since this is a Voipfone line, I can't see how this is anything other than
    > a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
    > deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?
    >
    > Steve.

    It certainly sounds interesting. I know that Sipgate lines don't accept
    SMS messages (a good thing IMHO, I have it turned off on the BT line as
    well, SMS is for mobiles not landlines..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 11, 2006

  3. Steven Sumpter

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:00:16 GMT, Steven Sumpter <>
    wrote:

    >This morning I was woken up by a series of calls from 08456021111. When I
    >eventually answered it, (On the fourth call to my phone) it claimed to be
    >BT delivering text messages and that I had 10 messages from a mobile
    >number I didn't recognise.
    >
    >Since this is a Voipfone line, I can't see how this is anything other than
    >a scam but I have no idea what anyone could gain from it. Can BT really
    >deliver voice texts to a Voipfone line?
    >
    >Steve.

    Yes absolutely - no doubt!
    Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.
    The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
    - why not!

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 11, 2006
  4. On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:59:28 +0000, Brian A wrote:

    > Yes absolutely - no doubt!
    > Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.

    I just sent a text from my Orange mobile to my Voipfone number and it did
    indeed work.

    > The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
    > - why not!

    Well for a start, it seems strange that BT would deliver messages to a
    number not provided by BT.

    Oh, and bad news Ivor - it worked to my sipgate number too.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, May 11, 2006
  5. Steven Sumpter

    Mark Guest

    Steven Sumpter wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:59:28 +0000, Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> Yes absolutely - no doubt!
    >> Try sending one yourself and you will see that it does work.

    > I just sent a text from my Orange mobile to my Voipfone number and it did
    > indeed work.
    >
    >> The BT service converts text to voice. Voice can then go to any phone
    >> - why not!

    > Well for a start, it seems strange that BT would deliver messages to a
    > number not provided by BT.
    >
    > Oh, and bad news Ivor - it worked to my sipgate number too.
    >
    > Steve.

    Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

    Mark, May 11, 2006
  6. Steven Sumpter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

    Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a while
    ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn it off..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 11, 2006
  7. Steven Sumpter

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

    >Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a while
    >ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn it off..?
    >
    >Ivor

    I didn't realise that this facility wasn't general knowledge. I've
    been using it for some time now but I find that recipients are a bit
    dubious about the messages they receive - 'what you don't inderstand
    you fear'. I guess that BT will get some of the rake off for
    processing the text ??
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 11, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh Brian A:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:48:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Confirmed also works on sipgate here via vodafone

    >> Interesting, it didn't work when I tried it, but admittedly it was a
    >> while ago when text to speech first came in. Is there a way to turn
    >> it off..?
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > I didn't realise that this facility wasn't general knowledge. I've
    > been using it for some time now but I find that recipients are a bit
    > dubious about the messages they receive - 'what you don't inderstand
    > you fear'. I guess that BT will get some of the rake off for
    > processing the text ??
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    It's always worked on my Sipgate line.

    The Telewest service is actually the BT service, they service centre numbers
    you use are those of BT.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 11, 2006
  9. Steven Sumpter

    Sean Guest

    Seems to have worked since start of month on sipgate and voipfone.

    0800 587 52 52 Is the BT Text Options line.

    Sean, May 12, 2006
  10. Steven Sumpter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message

    [snip]

    > It's always worked on my Sipgate line.

    It didn't work on mine when I tried it, what's more I don't want it to. It
    can be turned off on a BT line via an 0800 number, but how do I turn it
    off on a Sipgate number..? Assuming it now works, I haven't tried it
    again.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2006
  11. Steven Sumpter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > Seems to have worked since start of month on sipgate and
    > voipfone.
    > 0800 587 52 52 Is the BT Text Options line.

    So does that allow you to turn it off on a Sipgate number..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2006
  12. Steven Sumpter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > > Seems to have worked since start of month on sipgate and
    > > voipfone.
    > > 0800 587 52 52 Is the BT Text Options line.

    > So does that allow you to turn it off on a Sipgate
    > number..?
    > Ivor

    Answering my own question, yes it does, I tried it. Well it is an 0800
    number..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2006