    As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean people
    can do more with their net connection, such as watching video, listening to
    audio, and playing online games.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Mark Robinson

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:01:20 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm
    >
    >BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
    >
    >BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
    >
    >The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four megabits
    >per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available now.
    >
    >Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange would be
    >able to access 8Mbps.
    >
    >Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
    >restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
    >
    >BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes and
    >businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
    >
    >As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean people
    >can do more with their net connection, such as watching video, listening to
    >audio, and playing online games.

    Capped?
    Nho Whei, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Mark Robinson wrote:

    > BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
    >
    > BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
    >
    > The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four
    > megabits per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available
    > now.
    >
    > Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange
    > would be able to access 8Mbps.
    >
    > Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
    > restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
    >
    > BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes
    > and businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
    >
    > As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean
    > people can do more with their net connection, such as watching video,
    > listening to audio, and playing online games.

    Yeah but it is BT, they manage to make Telecom look good as far as
    service goes
    Jason Fanning, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Mark Robinson

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <2tod.net>,
    Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:

    > BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
    >
    > BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31 March.
    >
    > The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four megabits
    > per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available now.
    >
    > Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange would be
    > able to access 8Mbps.

    Umm lets be honest here, BT is only doubling its speed for 78% of
    customers.
    whoisthis, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Mark Robinson

    Steve Guest

    "Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm
    > >
    > > BT 'quadruples' broadband speeds
    > >
    > > BT is to increase its broadband speeds by up to four times from 31

    March.

    > > The firm said 78% of its users would be able to access at least four
    > > megabits per second (4Mbps), compared with the maximum of two available
    > > now.
    > >
    > > Almost half would get 6Mbps and those close to their local exchange
    > > would be able to access 8Mbps.
    > >
    > > Some rival providers already offer up to 24Mbps, but their services are
    > > restricted mainly to clusters of users in big cities.
    > >
    > > BT said more than 5,300 exchanges serving more than 99.6% of UK homes
    > > and businesses were being upgraded to support the higher speeds.
    > >
    > > As well as making web browsing and e-mailing quicker, higher speeds mean
    > > people can do more with their net connection, such as watching video,
    > > listening to audio, and playing online games.

    > Yeah but it is BT, they manage to make Telecom look good as far as
    > service goes

    This may have been your experience, but we had excellent service from all
    sections of BT for over 35years. It was New Zealands loss when it pulled out
    Clear.
    Steve, Mar 7, 2006