    can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

    --

    Kenny
    Kenny, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Kenny

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This is for my daughter.
    > She has BT broadband but searching their Support we can't find any reference
    > to ng's. Do they have a newsserver or not, if they do where is it?
    > If not can anyone recommend a free newsserver? I have in the past used
    > cheap56k.com but although she has signed up there's no sign of a
    > confirmation e-mail with settings etc.
    > Have tried dozens of free ones found on Google but whilst she can read she
    > can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

    news.btopenworld.com

    It is now a Giganews outsourced server so it's better than it was in the
    past.

    FR
    Flying Rat, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-12, Kenny <> wrote:
    > This is for my daughter.
    > She has BT broadband but searching their Support we can't find any reference
    > to ng's. Do they have a newsserver or not, if they do where is it?
    > If not can anyone recommend a free newsserver? I have in the past used
    > cheap56k.com but although she has signed up there's no sign of a
    > confirmation e-mail with settings etc.
    > Have tried dozens of free ones found on Google but whilst she can read she
    > can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

    This is confusing. It seems that "BT Total Broadband" don't provide a
    news-server:

    ..-----<http://www2.bt.com/searchresult?siteArea=con.mya>
    | You searched Personal for newsgroups
    | 1 to 1 of 1 results
    | 1. BT Total Broadband and newsgroups
    | BT Total Broadband does not provide its own news servers but you can still
    | access other providers' newsgroups
    '-----

    But, if your account is with BT Yahoo (the successor to BT Openworld, and
    before that BT Internet), then logging in to <http://home.bt.yahoo.com/>
    you can click on 'Help' at the bottom of the page, and if you then click
    on 'Email' in the section 'Popular support topics', you can scroll down
    and find these instructions:

    Newsgroups

    How do I subscribe to newsgroups using Outlook Express?
    What are newsgroups?
    Newsgroups for BT Internet users
    How do I subscribe to newsgroups using Windows Mail?

    I don't use my BT dial-up account much these days, having broadband from
    another supplier, but I can telnet to news.btinternet.com and get a
    response that indicates there is a news-server there (claiming to be
    Giganews, in fact).

    So try connecting to news.btinternet.com from your daughter's connection,
    possibly using her username and password if you can't get a response
    without them, and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time BT's
    own information for customers conflicted with the services actually
    available. (If that works, please let us know; other customers might find
    the message and benefit from it).

    Failing that, it is well worth considering signing up with one (or more)
    of the public news service providers - a web search will give you a list
    to get started with. For text groups only, I can recommend the one I use,
    which costs 10 Euros a year; read about it here
    <http://www.individual.net/>.

    Free news-servers are scarce and often fleeting, and you tend to get what
    you pay for. Cheap56k.com seems to have ceased providing a news-server,
    although you wouldn't think so from their web site and I don't remember any
    announcement. If your daughter really can't afford to pay for newsgroups,
    then the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers is the place to look for current
    information (and you can get there via Google Groups, as a last resort).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the replies, will pass on the info and post back.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Apr 12, 2007
  5. On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:59:30 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    I don't know anything about bt broadband, but if you need a free news
    server for just the text groups motzarella.org is the best. I also like
    detemas.de. Both require signup. aioe.org is ok and doesn't require an
    account.

    --
    Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
    Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."
    noalternative, Apr 12, 2007