BT in FTTH "first"

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sunil Sood, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky Broadcasting.

    The use of FTTH technology at Ebbsfleet Valley - the largest private
    developer-led community scheme to be undertaken in the UK - will be a first
    of its kind for the UK residential market on a mass scale.

    Ebbsfleet Valley - near Bluewater shopping centre and adjacent to the new
    Ebbsfleet International station - covers 1,000 acres with 9,500 new homes
    and up to nine million square feet of commercial offices, retail, leisure
    and community facilities.

    BT will provide next-generation access network and end user connectivity
    through FTTH technology, using the latest optical fibre networks.

    As a result, the Ebbsfleet Valley community will be able to experience
    levels of connectivity and broadband speeds previously only available in a
    high-tech office environment.

    The provision of optical fibre networks will also include benefits such as
    on-demand (high definition) entertainment services and voice over internet
    protocol (VoIP) phone services enabled in every home.

    The network - which will be developed by Openreach - will provide multiple
    fibre deployment to each home, including satellite and broadcast media
    services. This means that each home and establishment in Ebbsfleet Valley
    will be pre-enabled to receive Freeview and satellite-based entertainment
    services and DAB radio via the network, avoiding reception issues and the
    need for individual satellite dish installations.

    BT's general manager for London and the South East Andrew Campling said:
    "This is a ground-breaking initiative to bring the enormous potential of
    high-speed information and communications services to Ebbsfleet Valley.

    "BT is pleased to be part of such an exciting and innovative development and
    is committed to making this project a huge success as a partner, deploying
    our skills as the provider of world-leading technological expertise and
    knowledge and also in working towards other development opportunities -
    elsewhere in the Thames Gateway and in other major sites across the UK."

    Land Securities project director Andy Freeman said: "The provision of FTTH
    technology is a quantum leap in information and communication services for
    residents and occupiers in Ebbsfleet Valley. It is the next logical step in
    the digital revolution that will unleash the potential of unlimited
    broadband speeds for the use and benefit of homeowners and businesses."

    BT, Sky and Land Securities are currently working on arrangements to
    distribute satellite and broadcast media over optical fibre. The companies
    anticipate the scheme will be finalised in time for the first phase of
    development at Ebbsfleet Valley next year.

    The optical fibre network for Ebbsfleet Valley will be established by
    Openreach and operated on a basis that provides access for all
    communications service providers. BT says this competitive element will
    enable users to select services from a number of different companies taking
    advantage of the potential that optical fibre has to offer, providing choice
    in the market.

    Land Securities says the use of fibre technology will also bring about
    significant opportunities for the community. In the next stages of
    development it says it will be looking to maximise those opportunities,
    including developments in education, health care, community interaction,
    estate management and home working.

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Sunil Sood

    Guest

    On Feb 7, 5:16 pm, "Sunil Sood" <> wrote:
> [...]
    > distribute satellite and broadcast media over optical fibre. The companies
    > anticipate the scheme will be finalised in time for the first phase of
    > development at Ebbsfleet Valley next year.
    >
    > The optical fibre network for Ebbsfleet Valley will be established by
    > Openreach and operated on a basis that provides access for all
    > communications service providers. BT says this competitive element will
    > enable users to select services from a number of different companies taking
    > advantage of the potential that optical fibre has to offer, providing choice
    > in the market.
    >
    > Land Securities says the use of fibre technology will also bring about
    > significant opportunities for the community. In the next stages of
    > development it says it will be looking to maximise those opportunities,
    > including developments in education, health care, community interaction,

    Dear Sunil.

    I have been involved in projects like this in Denmark. Would it be
    possible for me to contact you to share some of my knowledge in this
    field ?

    , Apr 3, 2007

  3. Sunil Sood

    Eeyore Guest

    Sunil Sood wrote:

    > BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    > real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky Broadcasting.

    Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    Graham

    Eeyore, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Sunil Sood

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Eeyore" <> wrote in message

    > Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with
    >> UK
    >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >> Broadcasting.

    > Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?
    >
    > Graham

    They have to dig up your garden..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Sunil Sood

    Graham Guest

    "Eeyore" <> wrote in message

    > Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >> Broadcasting.

    > Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?
    >
    > Graham

    Isn't that what they told the good people of Milton Keynes when they
    installed TPON

    --

    (another) Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Apr 3, 2007
  6. On Tuesday, in article <>
    "Eeyore" wrote:

    > Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    > > BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    > > real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky Broadcasting.

    > Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    Presumably, instead of BT installing phone lines, and another company
    installing cable, and however many other etceteras your fevered mind can
    come up with, It's all on one network, and one wire/fibre/wet-string per
    house.

    Which means that they'll have the local fibre capacity of Movies on
    Demand, but I wonder whether they'll have budgeted for a big enough pipe
    to the rest of the universe.

    On the horizon, a carrier task force of the Salvation Navy was
    turning into the wind, preparing to launch Zeppelins.

    David G. Bell, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Sunil Sood

    Graham Guest

    ""David G. Bell"" <> wrote in message
    > On Tuesday, in article <>
    > "Eeyore" wrote:
    >
    >> Sunil Sood wrote:
    >>
    >> > BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with
    >> > UK
    >> > real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >> > Broadcasting.

    >> Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    > Presumably, instead of BT installing phone lines, and another company
    > installing cable, and however many other etceteras your fevered mind can
    > come up with, It's all on one network, and one wire/fibre/wet-string per
    > house.

    When Virgin Media eventually decide to cable my street, (which will probably
    be never), I would settle for BT pulling their dropwire down Virgin's duct
    (whoo missus) so they can dispense with the wooden poles and cats' cradle
    arrangement we have now.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Apr 3, 2007
  8. Sunil Sood

    alexd Guest

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >> Broadcasting.

    > Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    A JCB, I reckon.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:02:25 up 4 days, 9:49, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.27, 0.17

    alexd, Apr 3, 2007
  9. Eeyore <> writes:
    >Sunil Sood wrote:
    >
    >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky Broadcasting.

    >Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    probably, that it's the first _service_ for fibre to the home, in this
    country.

    we had visitors from bell labs, in the 90s, talking about experiments
    they had done with fibre to their homes (including great chunks of
    electronics in their garages). at the time, i had a sig line urging
    the availability of fibre to the home. and here we are -- 15 years
    later, bt have acted on my recommendation...

    i knew it made sense ;-)
    --
    Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

    Robin Fairbairns, Apr 4, 2007
  10. Sunil Sood

    Sam Nelson Guest

    In article <euvu1k$95s$>,
    (Robin Fairbairns) writes:
    > Eeyore <> writes:
    > >Sunil Sood wrote:
    > >
    > >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    > >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky Broadcasting.

    > >Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    > probably, that it's the first _service_ for fibre to the home, in this
    > country.
    >
    > we had visitors from bell labs, in the 90s, talking about experiments
    > they had done with fibre to their homes (including great chunks of
    > electronics in their garages). at the time, i had a sig line urging
    > the availability of fibre to the home. and here we are -- 15 years
    > later, bt have acted on my recommendation...

    Sigh. Before I moved house, the trench with the local MAN in it ran
    more or less right past my front door.
    --
    SAm.

    Sam Nelson, Apr 4, 2007
  11. Sunil Sood

    alexd Guest

    Robin Fairbairns wrote:

    > Eeyore <> writes:
    >>Sunil Sood wrote:
    >>
    >>> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    >>> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >>> Broadcasting.

    >>Whay *exactly* is ground-breaking about this ?

    > probably, that it's the first _service_ for fibre to the home, in this
    > country.

    Just on Monday I was reading the Wikipedia entry [1] on FTTH, and noticed
    that the UK wasn't among the countries listed with active FTTH deployments.
    I was going to post to uk.telecom.broadband whinging about it, but it looks
    like BT have pissed on my chips ;-)

    > i knew it made sense ;-)

    Yeah, and I expect in the UK we'll just continue to mess about with slowly
    edging fibre towards the premises with the likes of VDSL.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:41:14 up 5 days, 10:28, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.16, 0.10

    [1] Yeah. I know.

    alexd, Apr 4, 2007
  12. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 7, 5:16 pm, "Sunil Sood" <> wrote:
    >> BT has announced a ground-breaking fibre to the home (FTTH) deal with UK
    >> real estate investment trust Land Securities and British Sky
    >> Broadcasting.
    >>
    >> The use of FTTH technology at Ebbsfleet Valley - the largest private
    >> developer-led community scheme to be undertaken in the UK - will be a
    >> first
    >> of its kind for the UK residential market on a mass scale.

    > I have been involved in projects like this in Denmark. Would it be
    > possible for me to contact you to share some of my knowledge in this
    > field ?

    If you wish - my email address is valid.

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Apr 6, 2007