BT call centre strategy

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sunil Sood, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Sunil Sood

    Sunil Sood Guest

    BT has re-emphasised its call centre strategy in the UK and elsewhere
    following media coverage of the issue.

    The company was responding to a campaigning piece in The Mail on
    Sunday that tried to persuade companies to bring call centres back to
    the UK.

    BT's managing director of customer service Duncan Ingram says 32 of BT
    Retail's 34 contact centres are already in the UK and that £105
    million has been invested to make the UK centres cutting edge.

    He said: "We have invested heavily in the UK and have no plans to
    significantly increase the numbers we employ in our BT Retail contact
    centres in India.

    "All our advisors in India receive comprehensive training, including
    accent training. In some business areas, such as the broadband
    technical helpdesk, we do offer the opportunity for the call to be
    handled by a UK advisor."

    Duncan said that BT is a global company with operations in 130
    countries and - with customer satisfaction closely monitored at the
    company's Indian operations - has no plans to move all its call
    centres to the UK.

    He said: "The customer satisfaction results show that the call centres
    in India reach the same high standard as we offer in the UK. Customer
    service is at the heart of what we do and we cannot afford to provide
    poor quality service to customers in the extremely competitive markets
    in which we operate."

    In other news, Nortel has won a $5 million contract from BT to migrate
    its U.K. call centres to a new VOIP (voice over Internet Protocol)
    system over the next two years

    The deal will cover 10,000 agents and 124 sites, though the nature of
    the technology will mean agents can be based away from call centres
    and using data applications as well as voice.

    BT said in a statement that by its staff using applications on a
    converged IP network it will be showing its customers that it
    practises what it preaches.

    Reaching the right person to solve a problem can be difficult in a
    large organization such as BT, and customers can often find their call
    transferred several times, each transfer obliging them to explain
    their problem again. BT recently promised to make it easier for
    customers to reach the right person, and so its call centre agents
    need to be able to transfer calls -- and accompanying information
    about the customer's identity and reason for calling -- to the
    appropriate place.

    With the new system, "We can move calls around the business to support
    BT's 'My customer promises,'" said Alf Ellis, head of BT's internal
    voice solutions.

    The new VOIP equipment from Nortel includes five Nortel Communication
    Server 1000 systems for the main sites in England (Gatwick, Cambridge,
    Walsall and Bristol) and Scotland (Edinburgh), according to Nortel.
    The deal also includes a desktop Nortel 2004 IP phone for each of the
    9,700 call center agents and a Symposium Call Center Server, making it
    one of the largest virtual call centers in Europe. The equipment
    replaces existing Nortel equipment, including Meridian 1 PBXs and
    Meridian Max call centre software.

    For the call center agents, this will be their first encounter with
    VOIP within BT -- but the company has already used the technology at
    the highest levels, according to a Glynn Evans, Nortel's account
    manager for BT.

    "We had deployed IP Telephony at BT's headquarters in Newgate Street,
    London, last year," he said in an e-mail. That system served 2,000
    employees, including BT's executive management board.

    Regards
    Sunil

    Sunil Sood, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Sunil Sood

    J Clavox Guest

    On 5 Feb 2007 14:29:18 -0800, "Sunil Sood"
    <> wrote:

    >In some business areas, such as the broadband
    >technical helpdesk, we do offer the opportunity for the call to be
    >handled by a UK advisor."

    Well I have called the BB tech number and never been offered the
    chance to have the call handled by a UK advisor recently .

    J Clavox, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Sunil Sood

    Bob Eager Guest

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    Bob Eager, Feb 8, 2007