    Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
    bad. Is it good value for money?

    Regards Alan
    Alan Penn, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Alan Penn

    old man Guest

    on a pure cost of call basis - expensive.
    But then it may depend on your usage as to whether another service would be
    more cost effective.
    eg vonage / sipgate to name but two

    old man, Mar 18, 2006

  3. old man wrote:
    > on a pure cost of call basis - expensive.
    > But then it may depend on your usage as to whether another service would be
    > more cost effective.
    > eg vonage / sipgate to name but two

    Not to mention they only give you an 056 number that is generally more
    expensive to call than a national-rate number and cannot be called from
    some ntl exchanges. (And afaik is not included in anyones bundled
    minutes packages on their mobiles).

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 18, 2006
  4. In message <>
    Alan Penn <> wrote:

    > Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
    > bad. Is it good value for money?
    >
    > Regards Alan

    As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
    which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
    hands free phone.

    Ok I dont get many incoming call but with no line rental next step is
    to get rid of telewest line

    Cheers
    --
    Duncan MacCallum
    Duncan MacCallum, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:03:14 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
    <> wrote:

    > As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
    >which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
    >hands free phone.

    Compared with what sipgate or voip.co.uk offer, that looks expensive,
    and the other two give you a free local number in the 01nn range.
    , Mar 18, 2006
  6. In message <>
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:03:14 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> As a non BT customer they charge me 7.99 for 24/7 geographic calls
    >>which I think is good value considering I can still use my normal
    >>hands free phone.

    > Compared with what sipgate or voip.co.uk offer, that looks expensive,
    > and the other two give you a free local number in the 01nn range.

    Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
    free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

    cheers

    --
    Duncan MacCallum
    Duncan MacCallum, Mar 18, 2006
  7. Alan Penn

    Scope Guest

    Duncan MacCallum wrote:
    > Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
    > free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

    These can be had for as little as £20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..
    I think BT should be really worried about the VoIP business, considering
    they hardly seem interested themselves.
    Scope, Mar 18, 2006
  8. Alan Penn

    > Guest

    I got a PAP2 hooked it up to my router, signed up for sipdisount.com, got at
    0121 number for free, free UK landlines, + lots of other free calls, all for
    10 euros every 120 days or £1.70 per month, BT, and Telewest can go sing for
    their money.

    Opeel
    "Alan Penn" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody here use this? I would be interested in any comments good or
    > bad. Is it good value for money?
    >
    > Regards Alan
    >, Mar 18, 2006
  9. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:55:09 GMT, Duncan MacCallum
    <> wrote:

    >Certainly free 01 number would be bonus but does it also include
    >free TA allowing me to use existing dect phone?

    You will never get a free TA. The two companies I mentioned sell them
    with or without call bundles, or you can get one cheaper by locking
    yourself into paying Vonage £8 per month.
    , Mar 18, 2006
  10. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:13:05 +0000, Scope <> wrote:

    >These can be had for as little as £20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..

    Yours, but the £20 ones are locked to Vonage, and they won't give you
    the admin password. Not ever. Even though it is your device.

    There are ways to unlock them, but the amount of hassle involved makes
    paying £30 or so more for an unlocked one a rather more appealing
    prospect.

    >I think BT should be really worried about the VoIP business,

    Oh, they are. Even they've noticed the writing one the wall, which is
    why most of their efforts are going into pretending to be a
    networking, IT integration and services company.

    >considering
    >they hardly seem interested themselves.

    Eh? Haven't you heard of their 21st Century Network project? BT are
    moving their entire PSTN system across to VOIP over the next few
    years, starting with somewhere in Wales (Swansea?) later this year.
    , Mar 18, 2006
  11. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:05:16 +0000, wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:13:05 +0000, Scope <> wrote:
    >
    >>These can be had for as little as £20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..

    >Yours, but the £20 ones are locked to Vonage, and they won't give you
    >the admin password. Not ever. Even though it is your device.

    There is a new unlocked one on Ebay at the moment going for 22.00 the
    auction has got two days to run yet though ,I got one from ebay for
    33.00 last week not new but works ok so far .
    , Mar 18, 2006
  12. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:23:30 GMT, wrote:

    >There is a new unlocked one on Ebay at the moment going for 22.00 the
    >auction has got two days to run yet though

    If there were two minutes to run yet, I'd suggest that you are
    guessing the finishing price a bit too early.

    With two days to go, what the bidding is at is no indication of
    anything.

    I expect it will go for about retail price, then add inflated P&P on
    top.
    , Mar 18, 2006
  13. Alan Penn

    Alan Penn Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:23:30 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:05:16 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:13:05 +0000, Scope <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>These can be had for as little as £20 (PAP2), and then it's all yours..

    >>Yours, but the £20 ones are locked to Vonage, and they won't give you
    >>the admin password. Not ever. Even though it is your device.

    >There is a new unlocked one on Ebay at the moment going for 22.00 the
    >auction has got two days to run yet though ,I got one from ebay for
    >33.00 last week not new but works ok so far .

    Thanks for the replies, it looks like both Vonage and Sipgate (and
    perhaps others) are better options than BT BB Talk.
    Looks like I have more homework to do.
    Regards Alan
    Alan Penn, Mar 19, 2006
  14. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:13:14 +0000, Alan Penn
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the replies, it looks like both Vonage and Sipgate (and
    >perhaps others) are better options than BT BB Talk.
    >Looks like I have more homework to do.
    >Regards Alan

    Any are better than BT for anything with the exception of Sipgate .
    , Mar 19, 2006
  15. Alan Penn

    Sean Guest

    It depends what you want it for.

    BT offer a service much like a landline. Everything works the same way,
    all the codes and everything are as most people are used to. They also
    offer calls to premium rate numbers and access to emergency services.
    Sean, Mar 19, 2006
  16. Alan Penn

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:55:21 +0000, Sean
    <> wrote:

    >BT offer a service much like a landline.

    Overpriced, you mean? True enough.
    , Mar 19, 2006
  17. Alan Penn

    <> wrote:

    >It depends what you want it for.
    >
    >BT offer a service much like a landline. Everything works the same way,
    >all the codes and everything are as most people are used to. They also
    >offer calls to premium rate numbers and access to emergency services.

    At the moment I use Skype with a Cordless phone connected via an
    adapter. The main disadvantage for me is having to have my computer on
    to be able to use it. I dont make a lot of uk calls but as my wife has
    relations in Australia we need cheap rates to there. I already have a
    Router but cant connect Skype to that unfortunately.

    Regards Alan
    Alan Penn, Mar 20, 2006
  18. Alan Penn

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Alan Penn" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:55:21 +0000, Sean
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It depends what you want it for.
    > >
    > > BT offer a service much like a landline. Everything
    > > works the same way, all the codes and everything are as
    > > most people are used to. They also offer calls to
    > > premium rate numbers and access to emergency services.

    > At the moment I use Skype with a Cordless phone connected
    > via an adapter. The main disadvantage for me is having to
    > have my computer on to be able to use it. I dont make a
    > lot of uk calls but as my wife has relations in Australia
    > we need cheap rates to there. I already have a Router but
    > cant connect Skype to that unfortunately.
    >
    > Regards Alan

    If they had a similar setup you could call for free..!

    Despite what some on this group will say, I have always found Sipgate to
    be reasonable. Not 100%, but then *no* service of this nature is ever
    going to be that. I recently made a 20 minute call to Ireland at a cost of
    1.9p/minute. Most of my calls are to other users of the system though,
    which again are free.

    For emergency services access the system is set to route these on the BT
    line. Besides, of the three mobiles we have in the house, they are never
    all going to have a flat battery or no coverage at the same time..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 20, 2006
  19. Alan Penn wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:55:21 +0000, Sean
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>It depends what you want it for.
    >>
    >>BT offer a service much like a landline. Everything works the same way,
    >>all the codes and everything are as most people are used to. They also
    >>offer calls to premium rate numbers and access to emergency services.

    > At the moment I use Skype with a Cordless phone connected via an
    > adapter. The main disadvantage for me is having to have my computer on
    > to be able to use it. I dont make a lot of uk calls but as my wife has
    > relations in Australia we need cheap rates to there. I already have a
    > Router but cant connect Skype to that unfortunately.
    >
    > Regards Alan

    Sipgate charge 1.8p/minute and voip.co.uk charge 2p/minute to Australia
    whereas BT BBV charge 1.25/minute (all of them inc. VAT).

    Makes a change for BT to be cheaper at something. Mind you, don't you
    need to pay aline rental with BT BBV?
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 20, 2006
  20. Alan Penn

    Scope Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Alan Penn wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:55:21 +0000, Sean
    >> <> wrote:

    > Sipgate charge 1.8p/minute and voip.co.uk charge 2p/minute to Australia
    > whereas BT BBV charge 1.25/minute (all of them inc. VAT).

    It is a better option to use something like sipdiscount.com then, where
    it is free. :)
    Scope, Mar 20, 2006