    Graha

    --
    olavtheviking
    olavtheviking, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Thus spaketh olavtheviking:
    > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
    > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
    > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
    > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
    > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady
    > ethernet LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter.
    > Wondered if anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
    > configurations required?
    > Many thanks
    > Graham

    Before you get a dial-tone* and Line LEDs to light up you need to enter
    the VoIP account details for the VoIP Service you are using.

    *Unless set up to allow a dial-tone even when not registered.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 6, 2007

  3. olavtheviking

    Jono Guest

    olavtheviking explained :
    > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
    > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
    > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
    > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
    > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
    > LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
    > anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
    > configurations required?
    > Many thanks
    > Graham

    Are/were you under the impression that merely plugging the PAP2 into a
    BT Broadband connection will somehow allow you to use VoIP...?

    Without configuring the device with your VoIP provider's credentials,
    it's not going to work.

    You get to the settings pages by opening a browser of a PC connected to
    the same network as the PAP2 & typing
    <http://IPADDRESSOFPAP2/admin/advanced>

    If you are unsure of its IP address, pick up a phone connected to it &
    dial ****, wait for the voice prompt & dial 110# (That's assuming the
    PAP2 has the same IVR as other Linksys/Sipura products that I'm more
    familiar with)

    If I've misunderstood your question, I apologise.
    Jono, Jan 6, 2007
  4. olavtheviking

    Graham Guest

    "olavtheviking" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:...

    > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
    > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
    > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
    > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
    > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
    > LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
    > anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
    > configurations required?
    > Many thanks
    > Graham
    >

    > --
    > olavtheviking

    You don't say what configuration you have done to the PAP2
    If you are expecting a dial tone out of the box, you wont get one.
    Connect a phone and dial **** (four stars)
    A voice responce should announce "configuration menu"
    now dial 110# and write down the IP address.
    Now open a web-browser on a computer on your network
    and browse to that address.

    Come back when you have got that far
    BTW there are better ways of reading and posting to Usenet
    Newsgroups than the method you are using.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Jan 6, 2007
  5. olavtheviking

    > Guest

    After getting your ip address and logging on to your PAP2 You will have to
    find a voip supplier, Wow lots to take your pick from, I use sipdiscount BUT
    there are many many more with deals that may fit your needs better.
    Then I found this site helpful getting those settings into the PAP2
    http://www.mywebcalls.com/rm/linksys_pap2.html

    Good luck
    I have never seen it work on telephone supplied Internet service!

    Opeel

    "olavtheviking" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:...

  6. Graham Wrote:
    > "olavtheviking" wrote in
    > message news:eek:...-
    >
    > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
    > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
    > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
    > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
    > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a stead
    > ethernet
    > LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
    > anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
    > configurations required?
    > Many thanks
    > Graham
    >

    > --
    > olavtheviking-
    >
    > You don't say what configuration you have done to the PAP2
    > If you are expecting a dial tone out of the box, you wont get one.
    > Connect a phone and dial **** (four stars)
    > A voice responce should announce "configuration menu"
    > now dial 110# and write down the IP address.
    > Now open a web-browser on a computer on your network
    > and browse to that address.
    >
    > Come back when you have got that far
    > BTW there are better ways of reading and posting to Usenet
    > Newsgroups than the method you are using.
    > --
    >
    > Graham.
    > %Profound_observation%

    Graham, thanks for your reply,
    I have entered in some details to my router, info I obtained from th
    user guide CD bundled with the phone adaptor, this was in the 'por
    forwarding' settings - 5060-5061, 53-53, 69-69 & 10000-20000 all UDP
    I have tried, as you suggest, dialling **** but no response tried
    other analogue phones also on both ports also with no response - a goo
    start?! Have contacted Linksys and they say the unit may be faulty
    replacement is to be sent out to me!
    Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting t
    Usenet newsgroups please?
    Regards
    Graha

    --
    olavtheviking
    olavtheviking, Jan 7, 2007
  7. olavtheviking

    speckled hen Guest

    ><)))'> Orange Peel <'(((>< wrote:

    > After getting your ip address and logging on to your PAP2 You will have to
    > find a voip supplier, Wow lots to take your pick from, I use sipdiscount BUT
    > there are many many more with deals that may fit your needs better.
    > Then I found this site helpful getting those settings into the PAP2
    > http://www.mywebcalls.com/rm/linksys_pap2.html
    >
    > Good luck
    > I have never seen it work on telephone supplied Internet service!
    >
    > Opeel
    >
    > "olavtheviking" <> wrote in
    > message news:eek:...
    > >
    > > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
    > > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
    > > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
    > > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
    > > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
    > > LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
    > > anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
    > > configurations required?
    > > Many thanks
    > > Graham
    > >

    > > --
    > > olavtheviking

    If you have got BB talk you will not need a voip supplier, you already
    have BT.
    I will look out how to configure the linksys adaptor, although it has
    been discussed here before, so a search may help
    I have a similar set up with BB talk and linksys adaptor, works well.
    speckled hen, Jan 7, 2007
  8. olavtheviking

    speckled hen Guest

    speckled hen, Jan 7, 2007
  9. olavtheviking

    Graham Guest

    That is worrying. Try http://192.168.0.6

    > Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting to
    > Usenet newsgroups please?

    Sites like www.broadbandbanter.co.uk present Usenet posts as if they
    were_just another_web_forum, in much the same way as Google Groups
    do, but at least Google have inherited the task of archiving our scratchings
    for posterity.

    In fact, Usenet has nothing at all to do with the World Wide Web, it
    pre-dates its invention.

    In some ways its like email, but broadcast to everyone who "subscribes"
    to a given Newsgroup.

    You need a newsreader. If you are using Windows, you already have
    one, Outlook Express. Your ISP will probably have a News Server
    for you to use, and its URL or IP address is probably the only thing
    you need to put into the News account in OE.
    Be warned though, some ISPs Newsservers are dire, like mine (Tiscali).
    That's why I use an independent one, news.datemas.de
    Its free, but it does require you to authenticate and it takes them a
    couple of days to email you a password.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Jan 7, 2007
  10. olavtheviking

    Paul Guest

    olavtheviking wrote:
    [snip]
    > Graham, thanks for your reply,
    > I have entered in some details to my router, info I obtained from the
    > user guide CD bundled with the phone adaptor, this was in the 'port
    > forwarding' settings - 5060-5061, 53-53, 69-69 & 10000-20000 all UDP
    > I have tried, as you suggest, dialling **** but no response tried 2
    > other analogue phones also on both ports also with no response - a good
    > start?! Have contacted Linksys and they say the unit may be faulty a
    > replacement is to be sent out to me!
    > Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting to
    > Usenet newsgroups please?
    > Regards
    > Graham

    How are you connecting the phones to the PAP2? Presumably the phones
    have normal BT sockets on them and the PAP2 will have US-style rj-11
    sockets. What adaptor(s) are you using?

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul, Jan 8, 2007
  11. olavtheviking

    Graham Guest

    > How are you connecting the phones to the PAP2? Presumably the phones
    > have normal BT sockets on them and the PAP2 will have US-style rj-11
    > sockets. What adaptor(s) are you using?
    >
    > cheers,
    > Paul.

    That's a good point.
    The Vonage PAP2 that I unlocked had an adapter with ring cap.
    bundled with the ATA.
    If he is connecting the phone directly with an RJ11-RJ11 it
    might not work as there, are two common types of these leads.

    What I would ask you Graham is this,
    If you connect a bog-standard line-powered phone, do you hear
    yourself on the earpiece when you speak? and can you hear the
    DTMF tones when you dial?

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%