BT-101 - dodgy dc connector - corrupted flash - cure found?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Alan Foster, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    Hi all

    Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:

    All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
    dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

    Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
    rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the boot
    process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
    led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
    settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
    connect.

    With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
    back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same thing...
    wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
    just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
    memory was corrupted!

    I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy power
    supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a 2.1mm
    pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.

    Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good, although
    configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.

    In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in the
    bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However, I
    as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
    completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
    the phone.

    Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!

    Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
    though, so the moral of this tale is:

    ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Alan Foster wrote:

    [snip]

    > Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen
    > BT-100 though, so the moral of this tale is:
    >
    > ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
    >
    > Regards
    > Alan.

    Thanks for the info, Alan, don't use the beast myself but I'm sure it will
    be of help to somebody.

    BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
    you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
    reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
    know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Alan Foster

    Graham Guest

    "Alan Foster" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:
    >
    > All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
    > dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a

    result!

    > Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
    > rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the boot
    > process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
    > led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
    > settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
    > connect.
    >
    > With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
    > back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same thing...
    > wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
    > just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
    > memory was corrupted!
    >
    > I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy power
    > supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a 2.1mm
    > pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.
    >
    > Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good, although
    > configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.
    >
    > In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in the
    > bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However, I
    > as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
    > completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
    > the phone.
    >
    > Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!
    >
    > Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
    > though, so the moral of this tale is:
    >
    > ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
    >
    > Regards
    > Alan.
    >
    > --
    > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

    I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic difference
    were developed.

    I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Alan Foster

    Nick Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "Alan Foster" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Just in case this is a common problem I offer the following info:
    > >
    > > All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
    > > dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a

    > result!
    > >
    > > Tried to reconfigure for an alternative service provider and whilst
    > > rebooting, the power failed briefly and phone refused to complete the

    boot
    > > process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
    > > led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would
    > > settle down and allow access through the web interface, but would not
    > > connect.
    > >
    > > With the web interface accessed, I tried changing all the configuration
    > > back to exactly as it was before and tried another reboot. Same

    thing...
    > > wouldn't complete the reboot - or to be more precise, wouldn't log on...
    > > just sat there flashing its bloody lights! It seemed that the flash
    > > memory was corrupted!
    > >
    > > I decided that before I did anything else I would sort out the dodgy

    power
    > > supply. The plug was found to be a 2.5mm internal, and the socket a

    2.1mm
    > > pin! I replaced the plug on the power supply lead.
    > >
    > > Now with good power I tried everything again, but it was no good,

    although
    > > configuration changes could be made, the boot cycle would not complete.
    > >
    > > In total desperation - 'what have I got to loose, it's about to go in

    the
    > > bin' mode - I went for the option to reset to factory default. However,

    > > as I began to enter the MAC address, it connected!!! I hadn't even
    > > completed the reset operation... say no more... cancel the reset and try
    > > the phone.
    > >
    > > Made a call from my landline to the VoIP number, and it worked!!!
    > >
    > > Don't know whether the half reset will cure everybody's frozen BT-100
    > > though, so the moral of this tale is:
    > >
    > > ***** Change the power plug to the correct size *****
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Alan.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

    > I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic

    difference
    > were developed.
    >
    > I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?
    >

    > --
    > Graham.
    >

    > %Profound_observation%

    "microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
    1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

    Nick, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Alan Foster

    Graham Guest

    > > I have often wondered why two connectors with such a microscopic
    > difference
    > > were developed.
    > >
    > > I wonder if one was originally made to an imperial measurement?
    > >

    > > Graham.

    > "microscopic difference"? Hardly, 0.4m/m or 0.01574" or very nearly
    > 1/64" can't be described as "microscopic".

    Speak for yourself Nick,
    With my eyesight I will be lucky to find the socket.
    ;-)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Alan Foster

    JC Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:23:37 +0100, "Alan Foster" <>
    wrote:

    >All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
    >dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a result!

    If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
    more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
    owned. Utter, useless, junk.

    >process. Power cycling did not help - it would sit there flashing its
    >led's all day with an incomplete boot. If I lifted the hook, it would

    Mine did this. I had to run a packet sniffer on it and managed to
    identify that it was trying to TFTP firmware from a none existent
    machine. After simulating this TFTP server with a new firmware image
    the phone upgraded itself and started working - it was out of action
    for 6 months though before I tried this.

    Unfortunately within an hour of getting the phone to work it ceased
    talking to the network at all! It boots fine now and shows a network
    connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
    single packet of data at all.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 25, 2005
  7. Alan Foster

    JuliusP Guest

    >its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
    >owned. Utter, useless, junk.

    I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
    flawlessly

    JuliusP, Jul 25, 2005
  8. Alan Foster

    Sparks Guest

    "JuliusP" <> wrote in message
    > >its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
    >>owned. Utter, useless, junk.

    > I've had a BT101 for well over a year, use it every day works
    > flawlessly

    I have two, 'connected' to my Asterisk Box, both working fine for the 6 or
    so months I have had them!

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Jul 25, 2005
  9. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:16:53 +0100, Ivor Jones <>
    wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    > BTW I didn't hear from you re. the Fritz!Box Fon, please let me know if
    > you still want any help with it. The email address that I gave you to
    > reply to before doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but let me
    > know here and I'll sort out an alternative if necessary.

    For the time being I've put the Fritz on the back burner so to speak.
    It's a pity really, as I would dearly like to get my household DECT phones
    bridged over to VoIP as well as the PSTN. However, apart from the echo
    problem - still unresolved - as far as I can see there is no way to make
    dialling out default to the PSTN. I would rather have to dial a code to
    get a VoIP line with default to PSTN than the other way round.

    Not like me to give up - I'll probably have another go when I've got more
    time - but just as I was contemplating the Fritz problem, I aquired a very
    cheap Swissvoice IP10S and my attention was diverted to that.

    I am grateful for your offer of help, and when and if I have another go at
    the Fritz, I will certainly take you up on it!!

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 25, 2005
  10. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:48:14 +0100, JC <> wrote:

    > If this is the Budgetone 101/2 then in my opinion the whole thing is
    > more than dodgy, its the worst piece of network hardware I've ever
    > owned. Utter, useless, junk.

    Harsh words indeed... although I wouldn't argue with your opinion, I
    wouldn't put it quite that strongly!

    The name says it all; not so much 'Budge Tone', but more 'Budget One'!
    I consider this as equipment that was undoubtedly developed with the word
    'Budget' at the top of the developer's list of design criteria. No harm
    in that; it is after all sold at a budget price; that seems fair enough.

    However, as an electronics engineer, I find the use of a power supply with
    the wrong size connector to be totally incompetent and unprofessional. I
    would even question its 'fitness for purpose' under the Sale of Goods Act.

    > It boots fine now and shows a network
    > connection on the screen but won't lease an IP or even send/recieve a
    > single packet of data at all.

    Hmmm... if it shows the connection icon, it surely has to be either a
    configuration error, or a firewall problem... mind you, if you really feel
    that badly about the BT-100 you probably don't want to bother :-(

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 25, 2005
  11. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Alan Foster wrote:

    [snip]

    > For the time being I've put the Fritz on the back burner so to
    > speak. It's a pity really, as I would dearly like to get my
    > household DECT phones bridged over to VoIP as well as the PSTN. However,
    > apart from the echo problem - still unresolved - as far as
    > I can see there is no way to make dialling out default to the PSTN.
    > I would rather have to dial a code to get a VoIP line with default
    > to PSTN than the other way round.

    Hmm, that's quite an unusual request, most people get VoIP to make calls
    on it as it's usually cheaper than the PSTN..!

    Actually, it's quite easy. You could use dialling rules to do what you
    want, I have my Fritz!Box set to dial all non-geographic (0845, 0870,
    mobile etc.) numbers via the PSTN as it's cheaper for those than Sipgate,
    but Sipgate is cheaper for normal geographic numbers so they go that way.

    If you put 0 in the dialling rules for PSTN access then all numbers
    beginning with 0 will go that way, then all Sipgate numbers dialled on
    their 7 digit SIP ID's will go that way. You can then still dial the
    access code to force a call whichever way you want.

    I still don't understand your audio problems though, mine is perfect in
    that respect. I would suspect you have a faulty unit, I suggest you return
    it for an exchange one and see if that is any better, if not you should
    have no problems in getting a refund.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2005
  12. Alan Foster

    JC Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:57:10 +0100, "Sparks" <> wrote:

    >I have two, 'connected' to my Asterisk Box, both working fine for the 6 or
    >so months I have had them!
    >
    >Sparks...

    Maybe I'm just bitter because of the pain mine caused but every
    firmware revision seemed to break a different feature. The original
    firmware was unstable, the latest stable (at the time) revision broke
    the message waiting notification, early dial never worked, caller ID
    display would be a garbled version of the text and not the number,
    then the thing just hung with flashing lights, etc etc.

    There also still doesn't (and I'd like to be corrected on this) appear
    to be any way to easily localise (to UK) the call status tones and the
    built in switch on the 102 is only 10 Mbps.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 25, 2005
  13. Alan Foster

    Alan Foster Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:47:51 +0100, Ivor Jones <>
    wrote:

    > Hmm, that's quite an unusual request, most people get VoIP to make calls
    > on it as it's usually cheaper than the PSTN..!

    Yeah, I know, but I do have my reasons!!

    > Actually, it's quite easy. You could use dialling rules to do what you
    > want,If you put 0 in the dialling rules for PSTN access then all numbers
    > beginning with 0 will go that way, then all Sipgate numbers dialled on
    > their 7 digit SIP ID's will go that way. You can then still dial the
    > access code to force a call whichever way you want.

    Yes, I understand all that, but I have two requirements:

    1. I need to be able to route <any> number by <either> route, so dialling
    rules won't work!
    2. Others in the household need access to the PSTN by just picking up a
    phone. It is undesirable to have their calls going through my VoIP
    account, or for them to have any impedement to accessing the PSTN account.

    > I still don't understand your audio problems though, mine is perfect in
    > that respect. I would suspect you have a faulty unit, I suggest you
    > return
    > it for an exchange one and see if that is any better, if not you should
    > have no problems in getting a refund.

    In fairness, as I said, I haven't had time to check it out thoroughly yet
    - it may just be a wrong codec - so I won't feel justified in returning it
    unless and until I can prove it is faulty. Unfortunately I have too many
    calls on my time at the moment to do much about it... one day...

    Regards
    Alan.

    Alan Foster, Jul 25, 2005
  14. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Alan Foster wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:47:51 +0100, Ivor Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hmm, that's quite an unusual request, most people get VoIP to make
    >> calls on it as it's usually cheaper than the PSTN..!

    > Yeah, I know, but I do have my reasons!!

    Fair enough..!

    >> Actually, it's quite easy. You could use dialling rules to do what
    >> you want,If you put 0 in the dialling rules for PSTN access then
    >> all numbers beginning with 0 will go that way, then all Sipgate
    >> numbers dialled on their 7 digit SIP ID's will go that way. You
    >> can then still dial the access code to force a call whichever way
    >> you want.

    > Yes, I understand all that, but I have two requirements:
    >
    > 1. I need to be able to route <any> number by <either> route, so
    > dialling rules won't work!
    > 2. Others in the household need access to the PSTN by just picking
    > up a phone. It is undesirable to have their calls going through my
    > VoIP account, or for them to have any impedement to accessing the
    > PSTN account.

    I don't see an easy way to do this without dialling the access code for
    each line (PSTN or VoIP) first. Actually, I don't need to do this as I
    have a PABX, the lines from the Fritz!Box are just two of the incoming
    lines, so if I want to force a call via a particular route I just dial the
    appropriate line's direct access code (81, 82, etc) rather than the usual
    9, which picks a line at random. It works for me, but probably won't suit
    you..!

    >> I still don't understand your audio problems though, mine is
    >> perfect in that respect. I would suspect you have a faulty unit, I
    >> suggest you return
    >> it for an exchange one and see if that is any better, if not you
    >> should have no problems in getting a refund.

    > In fairness, as I said, I haven't had time to check it out
    > thoroughly yet - it may just be a wrong codec - so I won't feel
    > justified in returning it unless and until I can prove it is
    > faulty. Unfortunately I have too many calls on my time at the
    > moment to do much about it... one day...

    Could be. I don't see a way to select a specific codec in the setup
    though, but I will check it out with AVM. Do get in touch if you need to
    though.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 25, 2005
  15. Alan Foster

    Ian Guest

    <snip>

    > Hmm, that's quite an unusual request, most people get VoIP to make calls
    > on it as it's usually cheaper than the PSTN..!

    <snip>

    Sorry but it had to be done !

    BT to mobile
    O2 numbers (fm1) 12.60 11.81 3.61
    Orange numbers (fm4) 13.60 11.40 6.00
    Vodafone numbers (fm5) 14.88 7.68 4.78

    gradwell.com
    Mobile 12.00 10.00 7.00

    Voiptalk Silver
    Mobile (02)
    10.00 8.00 5.00

    all the above also support per second billing

    And finally

    Sipgate 14.9p at all times.........

    and they even bill by the minute.

    So that 1 min 10 sec evening moble call will either cost 6p with one
    supplier and the most expensive other supplier 30p !!

    Now maybe people will see why sipgate are "free" they are paying by the
    second but billing by the minute..

    So what im saying is VOIP should not be seen as cheaper its an altenative,
    but watch the costs.

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 26, 2005
  16. Alan Foster

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > So that 1 min 10 sec evening moble call will either cost 6p with one
    > supplier and the most expensive other supplier 30p !!
    >
    > Now maybe people will see why sipgate are "free" they are paying by the
    > second but billing by the minute..
    >
    > So what im saying is VOIP should not be seen as cheaper its an
    > altenative,
    > but watch the costs.
    >
    > Ian

    You're talking exclusively about calls to mobiles. I never use VoIP for
    those, I use my own mobile to call other mobiles. I only use Sipgate for
    calls to other Sipgate users (free) or landlines (1.19p/min).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 26, 2005
  17. Alan Foster

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    > All owners of BT-100's will know that the power connector is decidedly
    > dodgy, and I have now experienced a real heart-stopping moment as a

    result!

    Not just me then! Get a sharp knife and carefully remove about 5mm of the
    moulding plastic around the end of the power connector, increasing the
    length of the visible silver end. If your connector is like mine, it will
    still be in one piece and solid and you will now get a good contact.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Jul 27, 2005
  18. Alan Foster

    Ralf Janssen Guest

    Jonathan,
    what provider are you using, and what's your home base ?

    Kind Greetings

    Ralf

    Ralf Janssen, Jul 28, 2005
  19. Alan Foster

    JC Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:07:21 +0200, "Ralf Janssen"
    <> wrote:

    >Jonathan,
    >what provider are you using, and what's your home base ?

    This was using my own platform based on Asterisk and SER with the
    Budgetone registering directly with Asterisk.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 29, 2005