    2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
    GeForce FX 5500

    TIA

    Arty, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Arty

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.).. Also
    are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and correct on both
    motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005

  3. My first hunch would be to look in the BIOS Set-up, see if the memory is
    recognized, check that whatever it says is making sense.

    You didn't buy DDR2 memory, did you? I don't think that the AMD's support
    that.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Arty

    Arty Guest

    The mb that wouldn't boot has a 3000+ with PC3200 512MB modules and the
    1GB modules are PC3200. Memory timing and voltage are set to "AUTO" on
    both mb's and the memory count during boot-up recognizes all RAM. Both
    the 512MB's and the 1GB's were bought in pairs.

    The mb that did boot has a 2800+ with PC2700 modules.

    Arty, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Arty

    Arty Guest

    All the memory is recognized correctly during boot-up.

    I don't think DDR2 modules will fit in DDR1 slots.

    Arty, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Arty

    John Barnes Guest

    You should also check the timings to make sure auto chose the correct
    settings. Are they the same on both boards?

    John Barnes, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Arty

    Arty Guest

    Yes, they come up right on both boards. I ran MemTest86 on each of them
    separately and found errors on one module.

    I am currently running Microsoft's WinDiag and it has not revealed any
    errors. This would lead me to believe Microsoft's WinDiag may not be an
    effective test!

    Apparently I had them installed in a sequence that allowed Windows to
    boot up when I tested them on the other system. I never was able to get
    Windows - neither 32 nor 64 bit, to boot on this system with both
    modules, but did finally with the one that passed MemTest86.

    Arty, Dec 6, 2005
  8. Arty

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like you have it solved. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Dec 6, 2005
  9. On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:13:58 -0000, Arty <>
    wrote:

    > I am currently running Microsoft's WinDiag and it has not revealed any
    > errors. This would lead me to believe Microsoft's WinDiag may not be an
    > effective test!

    Yep same conclusion here, several PC's with faulty memory passed the
    Microsoft test. Memtest86+ is pretty reliable at pickup up memory
    problems...

    Mark Gillespie, Dec 6, 2005
  10. Arty wrote:
    > Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
    > would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
    > changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
    >
    > I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
    > worked fine.
    >
    > If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
    > NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
    > system works fine.
    >
    > I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
    > Athlon 64 3000+
    > 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
    > GeForce FX 5500

    It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
    compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
    already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
    switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
    configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's
    web site for specific instructions and compatibility requirements.

    If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
    manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
    utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

    SiSoft's Sandra
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

    Belarc Advisor

    Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

    Lavalys' Everest Home
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
    to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
    computer and/or motherboard.

    Beyond that, to get started troubleshooting the cause of your
    problems, we'll need to learn what specific errors are occurring and
    being recorded.

    To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
    Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
    reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
    Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
    your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
    addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
    screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
    Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
    Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

    Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
    shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
    Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
    of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
    Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm