BSOD when enabling wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gary Fritz, Oct 9, 2007.

  1. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
    disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    out of range of the wifi.

    * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    Home SP2.

    * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    up normally without wireless?

    Thanks,
    Gary
     
    Gary Fritz, Oct 9, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may help,

    Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com


    "Gary Fritz" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns99C3B42E65ECCfritzfriicom@216.168.3.50...
    >I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    > LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    > the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    > couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    > in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I
    > couldn't
    > disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    > out of range of the wifi.
    >
    > * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    > wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    > Home SP2.
    >
    > * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    > up normally without wireless?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary
     
    Robert L \(MS-MVP\), Oct 9, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    "Robert L \(MS-MVP\)" <> wrote:
    > I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may
    > help,
    >
    > Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019


    That post seems specific to a Belkin device. I've done a fair amount of
    surfing and this IRQL_NLOE error seems to be pretty device-specific most of
    the time.

    This is a Compaq Evo N610c laptop with the WLAN MultiPort W200 wireless
    adapter, running WinXP Pro. I already have the most recent driver for the
    W200, version 7.86.19.3708 (according to
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?
    lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=316666&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=316664
    &swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#11395).

    Gary
     
    Gary Fritz, Oct 9, 2007
    #3
  4. If you already have a new driver, it could be conflict with other hardware
    or software. If you do clean boot (not safe mode), do you have the same
    issue?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com


    "Gary Fritz" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns99C3E83BBFF1Efritzfriicom@216.168.3.50...
    > "Robert L \(MS-MVP\)" <> wrote:
    >> I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may
    >> help,
    >>
    >> Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019

    >
    > That post seems specific to a Belkin device. I've done a fair amount of
    > surfing and this IRQL_NLOE error seems to be pretty device-specific most
    > of
    > the time.
    >
    > This is a Compaq Evo N610c laptop with the WLAN MultiPort W200 wireless
    > adapter, running WinXP Pro. I already have the most recent driver for the
    > W200, version 7.86.19.3708 (according to
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?
    > lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=316666&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=316664
    > &swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#11395).
    >
    > Gary
     
    Robert L \(MS-MVP\), Oct 9, 2007
    #4
  5. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    "Robert L \(MS-MVP\)" <> wrote:
    > If you already have a new driver, it could be conflict with other
    > hardware or software. If you do clean boot (not safe mode), do you
    > have the same issue?


    Yes. Here's the typical sequence:

    * Use wireless on home WRT54G. No problems.
    * Disable wireless.
    * Go on business trip.
    * During a layover (so far I've tried it in LAX and SFO), open up laptop to
    get some work done. No problems.
    * Enable wireless. Blam! Immediate BSOD with IRQL_NLOE.
    * Clean (normal) reboot. Blam! BSOD, generally about the time I get to
    the login screen.
    * At this point, the only way I can use the laptop is in safe mode w/o
    networking. Anything else gets the BSOD at bootup.
    * Later, when I'm out of the airport, I can boot and use wireless without
    problems.

    So there appears to be something specific about the wireless environment at
    the airport, different than the wireless environment at home with the
    WRT54G. Wireless at home works fine; wireless at the airport dies. The
    home WRT54G has WPA enabled whereas the airport wifi spots are unprotected,
    but I doubt that's it.

    I'd like to be able to use wireless at the airport. Failing that, I'd at
    least like to be able to disable wireless when it's in the BSOD state. But
    since I can only run in safe mode w/o networking, I can't disable wireless.

    Gary
     
    Gary Fritz, Oct 9, 2007
    #5
  6. "Gary Fritz" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns99C4A06F44BA8fritzfriicom@216.168.3.50...
    > So there appears to be something specific about the wireless environment
    > at
    > the airport, different than the wireless environment at home with the
    > WRT54G. Wireless at home works fine; wireless at the airport dies. The
    > home WRT54G has WPA enabled whereas the airport wifi spots are
    > unprotected,
    > but I doubt that's it.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to use wireless at the airport. Failing that, I'd at
    > least like to be able to disable wireless when it's in the BSOD state.
    > But
    > since I can only run in safe mode w/o networking, I can't disable
    > wireless.
    >
    > Gary

    Most likely the age of the W200 firmware and driver is the factor. It is
    most likely having problems with the additional information elements sent
    along with probe responses form the latest WLAN APs. It is the fault of the
    W200 for not ignoring what it does not understand.... but since the W200 has
    long gone out of support and the chipset vendor (Agere) out of the WLAN
    business... updates are a dead end.

    I would try using the Fn-F2 key sequence that removes power to the MultiPort
    slot to which the W200 attaches. Since the key sequence is handled
    completely by the BIOS, it should work anytime after BIOS POST is done...
    regardless of whether the OS is in a safe mode.

    Phil
     
    Philip Doragh, Oct 10, 2007
    #6
  7. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    > It is the fault of the W200 for not ignoring what it does not
    > understand.... but since the W200 has long gone out of support and the
    > chipset vendor (Agere) out of the WLAN business... updates are a dead
    > end.


    I suspect you're right.

    > I would try using the Fn-F2 key sequence that removes power to the
    > MultiPort slot to which the W200 attaches. Since the key sequence is
    > handled completely by the BIOS, it should work anytime after BIOS POST
    > is done... regardless of whether the OS is in a safe mode.


    Ah, excellent idea! I actually got this laptop second-hand so I didn't
    even know Fn-F2 did that. I'll give it a try on my trip this weekend.

    Thanks!
    Gary
     
    Gary Fritz, Oct 11, 2007
    #7
  8. I'm getting the same problem with the IRQL_Not_Less_or_equal when I boot-up my 2004 Acer PC at work. When I'm at home, the wireless works fine. At work, I can only run in safe mode. Immediately upon enabling the wireless, I get the BSOD.

    I'm interested in how to use the Fn-F2 command to, perhaps, solve this issue. Do I do it during boot-up, after it's booted ... Just wondering if it worked for you Gary.

    Thanks!

    Colleen

    EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
     
    Colleen Howell, Oct 19, 2007
    #8
  9. Gary Fritz

    Lon Sarnoff Guest

    Gary/Colleen:
    Did you ever get a resolution to this problem. I have the same problem. In
    fact, the router which works at home is identical to that identified by Gary.

    I was able to disable the network adapter after a safe-mode boot by going to
    Control Panel>System>Hardware>Manage Devices>Network Adapters, right clicking
    on the adapter software and entering disable.

    I would really like to be able to fix this problem. Please let me know
    whether you have had any success.

    Lon Sarnoff


    "Gary Fritz" wrote:

    > I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    > LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    > the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    > couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    > in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
    > disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    > out of range of the wifi.
    >
    > * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    > wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    > Home SP2.
    >
    > * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    > up normally without wireless?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary
    >
     
    Lon Sarnoff, Dec 22, 2007
    #9
  10. Gary Fritz

    Barb Bowman Guest

    post an ipconfig /all from the afflicted machine. post the details
    of the router and firmware where you receive a BSOD. and a complete
    description of your problem. please start a new thread.

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:30:00 -0800, Lon Sarnoff
    <> wrote:

    >Gary/Colleen:
    >Did you ever get a resolution to this problem. I have the same problem. In
    >fact, the router which works at home is identical to that identified by Gary.
    >
    >I was able to disable the network adapter after a safe-mode boot by going to
    >Control Panel>System>Hardware>Manage Devices>Network Adapters, right clicking
    >on the adapter software and entering disable.
    >
    >I would really like to be able to fix this problem. Please let me know
    >whether you have had any success.
    >
    >Lon Sarnoff
    >
    >
    >"Gary Fritz" wrote:
    >
    >> I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    >> LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    >> the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    >> couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    >> in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
    >> disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    >> out of range of the wifi.
    >>
    >> * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    >> wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    >> Home SP2.
    >>
    >> * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    >> up normally without wireless?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Gary
    >>

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
     
    Barb Bowman, Dec 22, 2007
    #10
  11. RE: BSOD when enabling wireless - Gary Fritz

    I had the same issue. Here is what I did to solve it:
    - Find out what WLAN card you use (hardware manager)
    - Google the name / type of WLAN card and add "driver"
    - Use the WLAN card manufacturer's link and search for the latest driver (chances are that you have an old driver)
    - Download and install that driver
    - Enjoy your wireless connection again! :)
     
    Johannes Huber, Dec 14, 2008
    #11
  12. Re: BSOD when enabling wireless - Gary Fritz

    FY, here are the original post:

    I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
    disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    out of range of the wifi.

    * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    Home SP2.

    * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    up normally without wireless?

    Thanks,
    Gary

    I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may help,

    Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com


    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    "Johannes Huber" wrote in message
    news:...
    >I had the same issue. Here is what I did to solve it:
    > - Find out what WLAN card you use (hardware manager)
    > - Google the name / type of WLAN card and add "driver"
    > - Use the WLAN card manufacturer's link and search for the latest driver
    > (chances are that you have an old driver)
    > - Download and install that driver
    > - Enjoy your wireless connection again! :)
     
    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Dec 14, 2008
    #12
  13. Gary Fritz

    Pavel A. Guest

    Re: BSOD when enabling wireless - Gary Fritz

    Please, report the issue to the place where you got the wi-fi driver
    from (the laptop mfg, the wi-fi mfg).
    Would be great if you can provide a crash dump.
    If customers don't complain, bugs won't be fixed, that's how it works...

    Regards,
    --PA



    Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > FY, here are the original post:
    >
    > I took my laptop on a business trip, and tried to access open wifi spots at
    > LAX and SFO. Both times I got a BSOD as soon as I enabled wireless, with
    > the error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. So that was annoying that I
    > couldn't use wifi, but it was even more annoying that I could only boot up
    > in safe mode w/o networking after that -- and without networking I couldn't
    > disable my wireless connection, so I was limited to safe mode until I got
    > out of range of the wifi.
    >
    > * Any guesses why the airport wifi spots are killing my system? I've used
    > wireless at home with our WRT54G router with no problems. Laptop is XP
    > Home SP2.
    >
    > * Is there any way to disable wireless while in safe mode, so I could boot
    > up normally without wireless?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary
    >
    > I would check if there is any new driver for the NIC. Or this post may
    > help,
    >
    > Wireless BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019
    >
     
    Pavel A., Dec 14, 2008
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RWRfRWxlaw==?=

    Enabling WPA-PSK for network key in Wireless Network Properties

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRfRWxlaw==?=, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    9,380
    =?Utf-8?B?RWRfRWxlaw==?=
    Sep 7, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=

    Enabling wireless internet access for the Guest account

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jan 24, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    23,896
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]
    Jan 25, 2006
  3. =?Utf-8?B?V3JudGRpdmE=?=

    Enabling wireless connection

    =?Utf-8?B?V3JudGRpdmE=?=, Jun 15, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,196
  4. Bob
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,746
    Pavel A.
    Dec 14, 2006
  5. Terry

    Wireless enabling XP on Virtual PC

    Terry, Oct 1, 2008, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    453
    Pavel A.
    Oct 1, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page