BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BigAl.NZ@gmail.com, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
    L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
    card. Running XP SP2.

    The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:

    "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    Technical Info:
    *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)

    win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"

    Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
    spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
    okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
    various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
    marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
    cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
    found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
    (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.

    I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
    The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....

    I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
    win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
    is causing failures...

    Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
    for some time.

    Cheers

    -Al

    , Jan 29, 2007

  2. Cadae Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
    > L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
    > card. Running XP SP2.
    >
    > The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
    >
    > "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
    >
    > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    > Technical Info:
    > *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
    >
    > win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
    >
    > Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
    > spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
    > okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
    > various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
    > marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
    > cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
    > found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
    > (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.
    >
    > I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
    > The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....
    >
    > I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
    > win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
    > is causing failures...
    >
    > Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
    > for some time.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Al

    Sounds like a hardware problem - could be any one of (in order of
    likelihood):
    RAM, PSU, hard disk,Motherboard,CPU. I'd try swapping each of these with a
    borrowed or old working component till the fault goes away.

    PC

    Cadae, Jan 29, 2007

  3. bok Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
    > L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
    > card. Running XP SP2.
    >
    > The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
    >
    > "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
    >
    > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    > Technical Info:
    > *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
    >
    > win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
    >
    > Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
    > spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
    > okay until the BSOD errors started.

    The change from rebooting to BSOD could be accounted for by turning off
    the XP Startup and Recovery 'Automatically Restart' on system failure
    option accessible from system properties.

    This error normally means kernel mode software (O/S or device driver) is
    attempting to access memory using an invalid memory address. It's most
    likely a hardware issue as suggested by Cadae. I'd also add overheating
    to your check list. Check CPU and M/B temp sensors if possible.

    bok, Jan 29, 2007
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
    >
    >"The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
    >
    >PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    >Technical Info:
    >*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)

    From the NT resourse kit but it still holds true.

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    Component: Executive STOP

    Explanation:
    This is a Windows NT Executive character-mode STOP message. It
    indicates a page fault in the address space reserved for nonpaged
    data.

    User Action:
    If this is the first time you have booted after installing additional
    hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft
    Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its
    drivers are compatible with Windows NT. For information about the
    hardware, contact the supplier.If you are installing Windows NT for
    the first time, check the Windows NT system requirements, including
    amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.
    Also check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system
    can run Windows NT. If Windows NT is loaded and no new hardware has
    been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump
    file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good
    option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration,
    try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency
    Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.
    --
    For the animation alone (first half at least)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jldQ7Z-LawQ

    , Jan 29, 2007
  5. Otter Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
    > L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
    > card. Running XP SP2.
    >
    > The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
    >
    > "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
    >
    > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    > Technical Info:
    > *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
    >
    > win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
    >
    > Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
    > spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
    > okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
    > various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
    > marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
    > cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
    > found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
    > (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.
    >
    > I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
    > The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....
    >
    > I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
    > win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
    > is causing failures...
    >
    > Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
    > for some time.

    Seen page 50 of the MB manual? It warns about loading optimized default
    options...

    Otter, Jan 29, 2007
  6. Guest

    Thanks - all good suggestions.

    I was very suspect of the PSU or RAM. Doesnt the fact that there are
    errors in the registry suggest bad sectors on the HDD?

    Bad sectors on the HDD could be caused by low or faulty PSU?

    Cheers

    -Al

    Cadae wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
    > > L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
    > > card. Running XP SP2.
    > >
    > > The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
    > >
    > > "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
    > >
    > > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    > >
    > > Technical Info:
    > > *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
    > >
    > > win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
    > >
    > > Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
    > > spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
    > > okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
    > > various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
    > > marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
    > > cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
    > > found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
    > > (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.
    > >
    > > I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
    > > The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....
    > >
    > > I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
    > > win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
    > > is causing failures...
    > >
    > > Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
    > > for some time.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > -Al
    > >

    > Sounds like a hardware problem - could be any one of (in order of
    > likelihood):
    > RAM, PSU, hard disk,Motherboard,CPU. I'd try swapping each of these with a
    > borrowed or old working component till the fault goes away.
    >
    > PC

    , Jan 29, 2007
  7. Guest

    > The change from rebooting to BSOD could be accounted for by turning off
    > the XP Startup and Recovery 'Automatically Restart' on system failure
    > option accessible from system properties.

    Good point.

    , Jan 29, 2007
  8. Guest

    One more thing. The PC stayed on all night without BSOD.

    Whats a good program to stress test the PC in various ways?

    I tried that prime one but it complained about not getting the result
    it expected and terminated the tests.

    -Al

    , Jan 29, 2007
  9. Rock Guest

    <> wrote

    > One more thing. The PC stayed on all night without BSOD.
    >
    > Whats a good program to stress test the PC in various ways?
    >
    > I tried that prime one but it complained about not getting the result
    > it expected and terminated the tests.

    You tested the memory and got errors so have you changed the memory?

    --
    Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

    Rock, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Guest

    > You tested the memory and got errors so have you changed the memory?

    No, each time the memory test ran it faulted in different areas? And i
    think I read somewhere that sometimes memory errors can actually be
    other things?

    -Al

    , Jan 30, 2007
  11. Rock Guest

    <> wrote

    >> You tested the memory and got errors so have you changed the memory?

    > No, each time the memory test ran it faulted in different areas? And i
    > think I read somewhere that sometimes memory errors can actually be
    > other things?

    What memory testing utils did you use. Here are three. Run at least two of
    them.
    But I would swap out the memory for known good sticks.

    Memtest86+
    http://www.memtest.org/

    Windows Memory Diagnostic
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp