BSOD on wireless PC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian B, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Ian B

    Ian B Guest

    Hi Group

    After having a cumbersome (but reliable) cable set up I moved to Wireless
    Router/Wireless network card (Belkin F5D7230-4/F5D7000)( XPPro/XPHome)
    It's all downhill from there! Non wireless PC on router is fine, the
    wireless connection sees the router with 80-90% signal and the router has
    assigned an IP address to the wireless PC.
    The Wireless PC intermittently dies with the useless
    "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD.
    There has been no new driver for this wireless card since July 04, according
    to Belkin site so installed driver should be current. (its a new device!)
    I have a conventional NIC in the wireless PC, which I disabled, and that
    seemed to fix the BSOD.
    I cannot now network (all firewalls are disabled) and running network setup
    creates a bridge connection - which I don't understand.
    I thought a bridge was bridging a hardwired network with a wireless network!
    (or another NIC)
    If I delete the bridge, back comes the BSOD immediately.

    Can anyone point me to a diagnostic starting point?
    Any help appreciated
    TIA!

    Ian B

    Ian B, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Ian B

    Bill Whipple Guest

    Hi, Ian -

    First thing, don't run the Network Setup Wizard multiple times, that often
    makes matters worse. If you have a corrupted TCP/IP Stack then you need to
    clean it up or nothing will fix your problems - take a look at:

    http://www.itcsg.com/QandA/FixWinXPTCPIPStack.shtml

    Second, make sure that you are at the most recent rev of everything for the
    O/S and the NIC. Just because the last update was in July of 2004 does not
    mean that it shipped with the most recent drivers - check and update. Make
    sure Windows is at the most recent as well.

    After you have the latest and greatest software, then contact Belkin and
    have their support people walk you through a setup. Hopefully they will be
    the most experienced at it.

    You also may want to take a look at some of the articles on setting up a
    wireless network. You should be able to find numerous such help articles on
    Microsoft's web sit and at various sites listed in the group.

    Hang in there, it really can be made to work.

    HTH,
    --
    WLW

    Bill Whipple, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Ian B

    Ian B Guest

    Thanks Bill

    TCP/IP stack was OK.Was advised by Belkin Tech Support to uninstall all
    Belkin Drivers, uninstall software and wireless card and then use a setup
    routine downloaded from RALink (the chipset provider for this card). After
    this, all is fine - interestingly the connection strength has gone from 80%
    to 100%.
    I can now ping every thing on the network in all directions and can connect
    to internet via wireless.
    Still can't share files, but thats not a Wireless issue and without the BSOD
    should be easily fixed.

    Thanks again

    Ian B

    Ian B, Dec 13, 2005