BSOD, mismanaging system PTEs, x64/WinServer2003?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Roger Gelder, Dec 23, 2007.

  1. Roger Gelder

    Roger Gelder Guest

    My power unit & graphics card went down. PCWorld(UK) fitted new graphics
    [GeForce 8400GS]
    and power unit. WEB access runs for ~5minutes & then BSOD, saying :

    "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs.
    disable BIOS memory options eg caching, shadowing
    STOP: 0x000000DA, etc"

    Google search yielded a MS Hotfix KB831899 but this failed :
    "different hardware platform"

    Other Googles suggest the NVIDIA driver is incorrect, hence the Hotfix.

    Yet another implies WindowsServer2003 is problem (this came with the
    ASUS board but is not used(?) since I use Win XP x64 SP2.

    System: ASUS A8N5X m/bd; Athlon x64 2.4GHz, twin 300GB h/ds, 2Gb RAM
    WEB acces via ethernet cable to router[Belkin Wireless G]
    cable modem[VirginMedia] @ 4Gb/s

    What next? Anyone got better ideas, please?
    roj,
    tearing hair from already bald top! DuH!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 071222-0, 22/12/2007
    Tested on: 23/12/2007 12:49:44
    Roger Gelder, Dec 23, 2007

  2. Hi,
    a lot of people are telling the nvidia integrated firewall does a lot of
    corruption.
    get rid of it. (google this)
    to be on sure side with save written data : uncheck write caching for your
    harddrives.
    try different version of your nvidia drivers: especially the chipset
    drivers ->you may try one (older) with "WHQL"
    at least : have a clean install of these drivers: uninstall, reinstall
    have a checkdisk on your drive, to avoid "allready done wrong" occuring
    again
    have your swapfile on a separate partition, same with your temporary
    internetfiles, to avoid "crossover" writing faults
    sometimes a bit confusing : x64 is based on windows server
    after you got a new Powersupply, check your voltages in BIOS
    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Roger Gelder

    Zootal Guest

    I (and many others) were never able to fix this. The only solution that
    worked for me was to replace my nVidia cards with ATI cards. If I had to do
    it over (and I still might), I would keep my nVidia cards and scrap XP64,
    reverting to XP32. The minimal performance boost XP64 gives me is not worth
    the trouble, and I'm seriously considering going back to XP32.

    Zootal, Dec 23, 2007
  4. Roger Gelder

    roj Guest

    Thanks Juergen, Zootal,
    I'm going to try the MS debug before
    deleting anything.
    There was a useful article at "BLUESCREENS" with suggestions for checking
    which driver might be the cause. Will try that and come back if it works.
    Have a Good Xmas and An Improving New Year [ I wish :) ]
    Cheers,
    roj

    roj, Dec 24, 2007
  5. Roger Gelder

    Zootal Guest

    If you are sucessfull, please post what you did that worked. I'd love to
    yank out my ATI card and put in a couple of phat nVidia cards.

    Zootal, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Roger Gelder

    Kevsh Guest

    I'm having the same issue with a GeForce 7600. Is this mainly an XP64 thing?
    I don't mind blowing away my install and going back to XP32 if that will fix
    it, but I'd hate to go through all that and still not resolve the problem.

    -Kev

    Kevsh, Dec 29, 2007
  7. On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:50:01 -0800, Kevsh
    <> wrote:
    >> I (and many others) were never able to fix this. The only solution that
    >> worked for me was to replace my nVidia cards with ATI cards. If I had to do
    >> it over (and I still might), I would keep my nVidia cards and scrap XP64,
    >> reverting to XP32. The minimal performance boost XP64 gives me is not worth
    >> the trouble, and I'm seriously considering going back to XP32.

    >I'm having the same issue with a GeForce 7600. Is this mainly an XP64 thing?
    > I don't mind blowing away my install and going back to XP32 if that will fix
    >it, but I'd hate to go through all that and still not resolve the problem.
    >
    >-Kev

    Have you tried the latest XP x64 drivers from NVIDIA? ForceWare
    Version 169.21 was released on December 19:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_169.21_whql.html
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Roger Gelder

    Zootal Guest

    AFAIK, it's XP64 SP2 and nVidia drivers only. I've never seen it before SP2
    came out, and I've never seen it with XP32. XP64 SP2 with ATI, no problems,
    it's only a problem with XP64 SP2 and the nVidia drivers. This problem is
    about to become academic, as I'm about to go back to XP32 - I dual boot to
    XP64 and XP32 on the same machine, and I get tired of having to boot to XP32
    whenever I want to do something that doesn't work with XP64.

    Zootal, Dec 29, 2007