    view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
    dump the memory to the screen.

    Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?

    =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=, Sep 17, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you could supply error numbers and messages it would help to isolate your
    problem.

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Hi John,

    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
    happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen data.
    I have noticed that the main error message is consistantly "System Service
    Exception".

    I've since contacted the support department of the TV turner card
    manufacturer, Vista View, & they've responded that the issue is that Vista
    64-bit has issues when 4 gigs of ram are installed. After removing 1 x 1gb
    stick of ram, as per their instructions, Vista Media Center begin to work
    flawlessly. Keep in mind that, with the full 4 gb of ram installed Vista MCE
    fail every single time.

    What I'd like to confirm is, whether this is an issue with 64bit Vista
    Ultimate or with the Vista View hardware drivers?

    Cheers,
    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=, Oct 24, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Paul.

    > Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
    > happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
    > data.

    Change the default behavior for what Vista should do in case of System
    failure. By default, it is set to Automatically restart, which fixes many
    momentary computer glitches, but gives us no clue as to what the real
    problem is.

    Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings (You'll need to
    furnish Administrator password at this point) | Advanced | Startup and
    Recovery Settings. On this tab, remove the check from Automatically
    restart, then OK your way out.

    Next time the problem happens, you'll still have to reboot. But the BSOD
    will stay onscreen until you press the hardware Reset button, giving you all
    the time you need to copy down - verbatim - the Stop code and related
    information. Most of it will be meaningless to most of us, but if you post
    it here - verbatim - John or some other guru (not me!) should be able to
    point you in the right direction.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

    R. C. White, Oct 24, 2007
  5. Hey RC,

    Thanks for the great tip. I'll try that this weekend & will post my
    findings.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=, Oct 25, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=

    p.lo Guest

    After changing the setting in the Control Panel to not Automatically restart,
    Vista x64 produced the following verbatim error message when 4gb's of ram an
    the VistaView 2020 Dual PCI-E TV tuner card were installed:

    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow the steps:

    Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in
    the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
    driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

    Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory
    options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove
    or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
    Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000001E
    (0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)

    Collecting data for crash dump ...
    Initializing disk for crash dump ...
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    p.lo, Nov 21, 2007