BSOD error when installing

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005.

  1. Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
    getting. My system info is:
    AMD FX-53
    Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
    2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
    1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
    HP Deskjet 935c Printer
    Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
    Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
    Microsoft Internet Keyboard
    Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless

    I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
    problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
    load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
    through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
    should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
    one is :

    setup.dds

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
    trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
    still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
    Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.

    I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
    suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
    where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
    bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.

    In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
    a driver issue of some sort.

    I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>

    Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005

  2. Oh, I forgot to mention I have two DVD-RW drives, both of them Lite-On, one
    is their LDW-811 model, the other is the SOHW-1633.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005

  3. Do the first few lines of your component.cif file look like this:

    [CIF]
    DISPLAY=0:"VIA VT64xx series RAID driver"
    COMPONENT_VERSION="4.30C"
    DESC=0:"VT64xx and VT8237 SATA RAID Controller driver"
    DATE=0x107,,20050425;0x20F,,20050425;

    (snipped)

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 31, 2005
  4. sorry. I just noticed the error I'm getting is actually setupdd.sys not
    setup.dds as I originally posted.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  5. Rafael, thank you for your reply. I'm assuming you are talking about a file
    on my x64 SATA driver disk. I could not find a file called component.cif

    Hmm...I just took a look at the full list of files extracted from the
    downloaded package and I was able to find the component.cif file you
    mentioned. It does start exactly as you had quoted. However, I don't have it
    on my setup disk as it wasn't in the DrvDisk folder.

    However, the txtsetup.oem file contains this:

    [Disks]
    D-I386-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \I386\NT5
    D-I386-NT4-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \I386\NT4

    [Defaults]
    scsi = VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5

    [SCSI]
    VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows
    XP/SRV2003)"
    VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows 2K)"
    VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)"

    [Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
    driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT5
    inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
    catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat

    [Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]
    driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
    inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
    catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat

    [Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
    driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
    inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf

    [config.CFG_NT5]
    value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1

    [config.CFG_NT4]
    value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

    [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"

    [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  6. Does the bugcheck (BSOD) mention 0x7B anywhere? If so, this is likely
    due to the driver disk containing non-x64-decorated INFs (old drivers?)

    1. Download
    http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/HyperionPro/VIA_HyperionPro_V500A.zip

    2. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy.

    3. Reinstall Windows x64 using new floppy.

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 31, 2005
  7. Thank you Rafael for another reply. I tried again with the original v500a
    driver disk I was using. This time I got a different error message at the
    same spot. This time it was:

    ntfs.sys
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    The technical information was:
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFADDE4B7A8B0, 0x0000000000000000,
    0xFFFFFADFE3A6D348, 0x0000000000000000)

    I'll create another driver disk following your instructions to just copy
    over the contents AMD64 subfolder of the DrvDisk folder. I have redownloaded
    the zip file from the link you included as well. I'll find out in about 5-8
    minutes if this works.

    Thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  8. When I tried to reinstall it following your instructions for creating the
    driver disk I got a message just after formatting the partition:

    Insert the disk labeled
    Via Raid Combo Driver Diskette
    Into Drive A:

    Apparently it didn't like the diskette so I copied over the contents of the
    VIARaid folder from the downloaded file to a diskette and this didn't work.
    Apparently I'm still stuck.

    I am also running out of time for today. I will probably have to restore the
    image I made before attempting to get this fixed today so at least I can
    start up XP Pro.

    Thanks again for your help. I'll try again tomorrow.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  9. I'm stupid. I gave you the wrong driver link.

    Use: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_V430C.zip

    a. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy
    b. Edit txtsetup.oem on floppy. Change this line:

    D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64, \2003x64

    .... to read

    D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",VIAMRX64, \2003x64

    c. Reinstall OS.

    Let me know the results!

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 31, 2005
  10. Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote:
    > I'm stupid. I gave you the wrong driver link.
    >
    > Use: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_V430C.zip
    >
    > a. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy
    > b. Edit txtsetup.oem on floppy. Change this line:
    >
    > D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64,
    > \2003x64
    > ... to read
    >
    > D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",VIAMRX64, \2003x64
    >
    > c. Reinstall OS.
    >
    > Let me know the results!
    >
    > Rafael Rivera
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

    Hi Rafael,

    I have the same mobo, he need the via raid indeed. I made a iso a the
    floppy.
    I can send it to him if he asks for

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, May 31, 2005
  11. Rafael,

    I was able to make it past the restart in the installation process. I then
    got another BSOD when it went through the installing devices portion of the
    installation. I restarted the PC, the setup process resumed and it looks like
    it is going to finish the installation.

    Hopefully I'll now be able to get the .Net Beta 2.0 to install without
    hosing up the x64 installation. But that would be another thread should that
    happen :)

    I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

    Gary

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  12. re_boot <> wrote:
    > Rafael,
    >
    > I was able to make it past the restart in the installation process. I
    > then got another BSOD when it went through the installing devices
    > portion of the installation. I restarted the PC, the setup process
    > resumed and it looks like it is going to finish the installation.
    >
    > Hopefully I'll now be able to get the .Net Beta 2.0 to install without
    > hosing up the x64 installation. But that would be another thread
    > should that happen :)
    >
    > I really appreciate your help. Thank you!
    >
    > Gary

    Hi Gary,

    Unless you have special needs, .Net 2 is not really necessary.
    You'll need to install .Net 1.1 for all applications requesting .NET as they
    will not recognize the version 2.
    I have both here but didn't find some use for version 2 so far.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, May 31, 2005
  13. "Christian Hougardy" wrote:

    > re_boot <> wrote:
    > > Rafael,
    > >
    > > I was able to make it past the restart in the installation process. I
    > > then got another BSOD when it went through the installing devices
    > > portion of the installation. I restarted the PC, the setup process
    > > resumed and it looks like it is going to finish the installation.
    > >
    > > Hopefully I'll now be able to get the .Net Beta 2.0 to install without
    > > hosing up the x64 installation. But that would be another thread
    > > should that happen :)
    > >
    > > I really appreciate your help. Thank you!
    > >
    > > Gary
    > >

    > Hi Gary,
    >
    > Unless you have special needs, .Net 2 is not really necessary.
    > You'll need to install .Net 1.1 for all applications requesting .NET as they
    > will not recognize the version 2.
    > I have both here but didn't find some use for version 2 so far.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    > Johannesburg - South Africa
    > http://msmvps.com/xpditif

    Christian,

    I'm hoping to be able to use K!TV 64bits to make use of my Hauppage PVR-350
    tv tuner card since Hauppage hasn't released 64bit drivers for their cards
    yet. In order to use K!TV though, you have to install the new .NET Beta 2 (at
    least according to the post in the 64bit application download section on
    www.planetamd64.com).

    I may have to just bide my time until Hauppage releases there drivers though.

    Thanks for the information!
    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005
  14. "Christian Hougardy" wrote:

    > Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote:
    > > I'm stupid. I gave you the wrong driver link.
    > >
    > > Use: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/RAID/VIA_RAID_V430C.zip
    > >
    > > a. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy
    > > b. Edit txtsetup.oem on floppy. Change this line:
    > >
    > > D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64,
    > > \2003x64
    > > ... to read
    > >
    > > D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",VIAMRX64, \2003x64
    > >
    > > c. Reinstall OS.
    > >
    > > Let me know the results!
    > >
    > > Rafael Rivera
    > > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
    > >

    > Hi Rafael,
    >
    > I have the same mobo, he need the via raid indeed. I made a iso a the
    > floppy.
    > I can send it to him if he asks for
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > --
    > Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    > Johannesburg - South Africa
    > http://msmvps.com/xpditif

    Christian,

    The more support files the better I say. If you wouldn't mind sending it to
    me I'd appreciate it. My throw-away email address (I don't really want to
    give out my regular email address on a message board) is

    Thank you,

    Gary
    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 31, 2005