Bruce Perens: The Emerging Economic Paradigm of Open Source

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. http://perens.com/Articles/Economic.html

    "Whether or not we will admit it, most of us are very impressed with
    Microsoft's wealth and arrogance, and when we think of producing software,
    we automatically think of Microsoft and the way they do it. But it turns
    out that the Microsoft model accounts for only a minority of the software
    that is made and used in business today. Around 30% of the software that
    is written is sold as software. Most software is not sold at all. It is
    developed directly for its customer, by the customer's own employees or by
    consultants who bill for the service of software creation rather than for
    the end product. It's important to look at why that is the case, in order
    to understand the economics of Open Source."

    Inciteful article, IMHO.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
    How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 12, 2006