Bruce Hoult - your sig..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Hi Bruce,

    Any particular reason you give your position as a decimal
    lat/long in your sig? I'd visit via Google Earth but they do
    the standard deg/min/sec format. Sure I could convert it,
    but I'm lazy. <grin> ..and I wondered if there was a reason
    behind it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Bruce's sig follows:

    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Enkidu, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Enkidu

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Hi Bruce,
    >
    > Any particular reason you give your position as a decimal
    > lat/long in your sig? I'd visit via Google Earth but they do
    > the standard deg/min/sec format. Sure I could convert it,
    > but I'm lazy. <grin> ..and I wondered if there was a reason
    > behind it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > Bruce's sig follows:
    >
    > Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    > Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------

    It's fewer characters for the same precision. I've given that down to
    one ten-thousandth of a degree (11 m latitude, about 8 m longitude).
    Minutes and seconds would be 3 times less acurate and take at least two
    more characters. You wouldn't even know which house.

    What's standard about d/m/s? I've seen decimal degrees, d/m/s and d
    with decimal minutes all in common use.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Bruce,
    >>
    >>Any particular reason you give your position as a decimal
    >>lat/long in your sig? I'd visit via Google Earth but they do
    >>the standard deg/min/sec format. Sure I could convert it,
    >>but I'm lazy. <grin> ..and I wondered if there was a reason
    >>behind it.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Cliff
    >>
    >>Bruce's sig follows:
    >>
    >>Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    >>Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------

    > It's fewer characters for the same precision. I've given that down to
    > one ten-thousandth of a degree (11 m latitude, about 8 m longitude).
    > Minutes and seconds would be 3 times less acurate and take at least two
    > more characters. You wouldn't even know which house.

    Even with seconds expressed to two decimal places, as Google
    Earth do?

    > What's standard about d/m/s? I've seen decimal degrees, d/m/s and d
    > with decimal minutes all in common use.

    Ah, in answer to that, I've more often seen it in d/m/s. I
    assumed that it was more or less standard.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Enkidu <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi Bruce,
    >>>
    >>> Any particular reason you give your position as a decimal lat/long in
    >>> your sig? I'd visit via Google Earth but they do the standard
    >>> deg/min/sec format. Sure I could convert it, but I'm lazy. <grin>
    >>> ..and I wondered if there was a reason behind it.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>
    >>> Bruce's sig follows:
    >>>
    >>> Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    >>> Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------

    >> It's fewer characters for the same precision. I've given that down to
    >> one ten-thousandth of a degree (11 m latitude, about 8 m longitude).
    >> Minutes and seconds would be 3 times less acurate and take at least
    >> two more characters. You wouldn't even know which house.
    >>

    > Even with seconds expressed to two decimal places, as Google Earth do?

    Well it's pretty fuzzy where you live, and you are only a
    couple of decimal points away from me.

    >> What's standard about d/m/s? I've seen decimal degrees, d/m/s and d
    >> with decimal minutes all in common use.
    >>

    > Ah, in answer to that, I've more often seen it in d/m/s. I assumed that
    > it was more or less standard.

    Replying to myself.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 1, 2005
  5. In <42eddd04$> Enkidu wrote:
    > Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    >> What's standard about d/m/s? I've seen decimal degrees, d/m/s and d
    >> with decimal minutes all in common use.
    >>

    > Ah, in answer to that, I've more often seen it in d/m/s. I
    > assumed that it was more or less standard.

    Most GPS receivers and electronic plotters use degrees/minutes/decimal
    fraction of minutes. They probably use that because the NMEA data
    interconnection standard uses it. Now, why does NMEA use it? <shrugs>

    I suppose degrees and whole minutes gets you close enough for coarse
    navigation (and was all that was practical before satellite navigation),
    and the advantage of using a decimal fraction instead of using seconds
    is you can just keep adding more decimal places on the end to improve
    the resolution. Early GPS receivers only went to two dp resolution, but
    most go to four now which is enough to place you within about 200mm (not
    that a normal GPS is that accurate).

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 1, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    >I suppose degrees and whole minutes gets you close enough for coarse
    >navigation (and was all that was practical before satellite navigation),
    >and the advantage of using a decimal fraction instead of using seconds
    >is you can just keep adding more decimal places on the end to improve
    >the resolution.

    Angular and time measurements use unit multiples of 60 rather than 10
    because that's what the ancient Babylonians used. And they did it
    because 60 gives you more integer divisors than 10 does. In particular,
    10 does not divide by 3.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2005
  7. Enkidu

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Roger Johnstone <> wrote:
    >

    >>I suppose degrees and whole minutes gets you close enough for coarse
    >>navigation (and was all that was practical before satellite navigation),
    >>and the advantage of using a decimal fraction instead of using seconds
    >>is you can just keep adding more decimal places on the end to improve
    >>the resolution.

    > Angular and time measurements use unit multiples of 60 rather than 10
    > because that's what the ancient Babylonians used. And they did it
    > because 60 gives you more integer divisors than 10 does. In particular,
    > 10 does not divide by 3.

    Neither does a megabyte :p
    Jerry, Aug 2, 2005