Bruce Almighty, Universal, and WHY I'M ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by NightStalker, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. NightStalker

    NightStalker Guest

    <Start rant>

    Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
    (oops - there's another one)

    Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
    I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
    promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
    out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
    want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
    movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
    for movies I don't want.

    Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
    this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
    NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.

    What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
    series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
    somewhere in the middle?

    This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
    seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
    Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.

    On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
    including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
    free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.

    Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, pissed off? Huh?

    And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    </End of rant>
    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Dec 6, 2003

  2. NightStalker wrote:

    ><Start rant>
    >
    >Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
    >(oops - there's another one)
    >
    >Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
    >I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
    >promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
    >out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
    >want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
    >movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
    >for movies I don't want.
    >
    >Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
    >this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
    >NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
    >
    >What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
    >series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
    >somewhere in the middle?
    >
    >This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
    >seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
    >Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
    >
    >On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
    >including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
    >free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
    >
    >Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, pissed off? Huh?
    >
    >And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    ></End of rant>

    Many Sony and Yamaha DVD players include UOP override capbilities in
    their advanced mod kits. The UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is the
    feature that allows DVD's to disable various control buttons such as
    skip, fast forward, menu, stop, pause, audio and subtitle select (to
    name a few) in the player. Mod kits with UOP override prevent the player
    from reading and enforcing these controls, thus restoring your ability
    to skip, fast forward ... etc This is something to keep in mind when
    next purchasing a DVD player :)

    Oh, and by the way, I too share your wrath and anger at this annoying trend.

    MichaelC
    Michael S Cox, Dec 6, 2003

  3. NightStalker

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:10:19 GMT, NightStalker wrote in aus.dvd:

    > Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and
    > although I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of
    > bloody promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote
    > was locked out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now,
    > every time I want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes
    > before the movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired
    > old trailers for movies I don't want.

    With my player, you can often hit STOP repeatedly as soon as you start
    crap.

    If it goes straight into the ads when hitting MENU, try playing Chapter
    1 Title 1 if your player can do it.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Dec 6, 2003
  4. NightStalker

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, NightStalker <> wrote:
    [unskippable commercials]
    >This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
    >seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet..

    I'm surprised too. They have been very thoroughly discussed in this
    newsgroup for weeks.

    Of course, maybe you just bopped in and posted without looking at
    any previous discussions....

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Dec 6, 2003
  5. NightStalker

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    NightStalker wrote:

    > <Start rant>
    >
    > Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
    > (oops - there's another one)

    Well deserved rant snipped.

    > Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, pissed off? Huh?
    >
    > And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree, and it is one other justification for ripping and copying any
    DVD I get, and play the copy.

    Try telling a youngster that the five or six minutes at the beginning of
    a movie is necessary.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 6, 2003
  6. NightStalker

    Shari Guest

    "NightStalker" <> wrote in message

    > <Start rant>
    >
    > Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
    > (oops - there's another one)
    >
    > Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
    > I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
    > promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
    > out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
    > want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
    > movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
    > for movies I don't want.
    >
    > Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
    > this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
    > NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
    >
    > What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
    > series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
    > somewhere in the middle?
    >
    > This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
    > seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
    > Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
    >
    > On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
    > including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
    > free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
    >
    > Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, pissed off? Huh?
    >
    > And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > </End of rant>
    > --
    >
    > NightStalker

    Return the DVD and state your reasons why, and request your money back.
    Surely the distributor will get the message eventually if enough people do
    it
    Shari, Dec 6, 2003
  7. NightStalker

    ML Guest

    It's hella annoying, but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
    setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
    "menu" if I actually want to go back.

    --
    main.luser [ML]
    http://tinyurl.com/fbax

    ML, Dec 6, 2003
  8. NightStalker

    Me Guest

    I gotta admit, I love trailers. However I still believe in the idea of
    having the freedom to skip them.

    Me, Dec 6, 2003
  9. NightStalker

    Ray Macey Guest

    ML wrote:
    > It's hella annoying, but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
    > setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
    > "menu" if I actually want to go back.

    Just out of curiosity, which dvd player is that?

    Ray
    Ray Macey, Dec 6, 2003
  10. NightStalker

    luminos Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, NightStalker <> wrote:
    > [unskippable commercials]
    > >This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
    > >seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet..

    > I'm surprised too. They have been very thoroughly discussed in this
    > newsgroup for weeks.
    >
    > Of course, maybe you just bopped in and posted without looking at
    > any previous discussions....
    >
    > --
    > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com
    > DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    > other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm

    What an unuseful, and stupid, response. Why don't you learn something from
    the dvdemystified.com folks, like how to write and how to be useful? And
    why do yo pretend to have anything to do with them?
    luminos, Dec 6, 2003
  11. NightStalker

    GDS Guest

    Cods wrote...
    >With my player, you can often hit STOP repeatedly as soon as you start
    >crap.

    I used to be able to do the stop thing with my old maggy.

    G.
    GDS, Dec 6, 2003
  12. NightStalker

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    (mass snippage)
    "Shari" <> wrote in message

    > Return the DVD and state your reasons why, and request your money back.
    > Surely the distributor will get the message eventually if enough people do
    > it

    (hopefully I quoted the above correct)

    I agree with Shari, If enough people say, "no thanks"
    they will stop pulling this crap.

    return it. and contact universal and let them know
    how you feel about them hacking product that you pay for
    to own

    http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/contact_form.cgi?em
    ail_id=10

    I already did, as the was the first DVD ive experienced this with.

    Matt
    Matt Ferrari, Dec 6, 2003
  13. NightStalker

    GDS Guest

    ML wrote...
    >but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
    >setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
    >"menu" if I actually want to go back.

    I have the same thing in my new NEC...bloody genius!

    And NightStalker...a well deserved rant!!!
    Need I mention "Warners On The Gold Coast"?
    Who cares?!?!
    I, like most people, just wanna watch the movie and "maybe" the s/features if I'm boored.
    G.
    GDS, Dec 6, 2003
  14. NightStalker

    ML Guest

    LG 7711p or 1177p or something like that...

    --
    main.luser [ML]
    http://tinyurl.com/fbax

    ML, Dec 6, 2003
  15. NightStalker

    ML Guest

    The worse thing is they are simple being greedy. I mean it's not like DVD
    sales are struggling or anything.

    --
    main.luser [ML]
    http://tinyurl.com/fbax

    ML, Dec 6, 2003
  16. NightStalker

    Geoff Guest

    My solution is to rip the movie (only) with DVDShrink, then burn a DVD-R.
    Geoff, Dec 6, 2003
  17. NightStalker

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <3fd19217$0$13634$>,
    says...
    > Many Sony and Yamaha DVD players include UOP override capbilities in
    > their advanced mod kits. The UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is the
    > feature that allows DVD's to disable various control buttons such as
    > skip, fast forward, menu, stop, pause, audio and subtitle select (to
    > name a few) in the player. Mod kits with UOP override prevent the player
    > from reading and enforcing these controls, thus restoring your ability
    > to skip, fast forward ... etc This is something to keep in mind when
    > next purchasing a DVD player :)
    >
    > Oh, and by the way, I too share your wrath and anger at this annoying trend.
    >
    > MichaelC

    I will put up with a lot, but I wont put up with ANY disc that disables
    pause or stop (or BOTH).

    If you are that upset with Universal let them know about it. Im pretty
    sure they dont read the newsgroups to sample opinion.

    If I had purchased any movie and found there was NO WAY AROUND the
    promotions, trailers ect I would return it as defective. If you cant hit
    stop-then Menu the disk is defective PERIOD. Whether it was intended to
    be that way is irrelevant. If STOP wont stop it, it is defective. Just
    like a car that wont stop 'till a red light.

    If the retailer wont take it back then contact the Studio.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery
    Larry Lynch, Dec 6, 2003
  18. NightStalker

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <3fd19217$0$13634$>,
    says...
    > Many Sony and Yamaha DVD players include UOP override capbilities in
    > their advanced mod kits. The UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is the
    > feature that allows DVD's to disable various control buttons such as
    > skip, fast forward, menu, stop, pause, audio and subtitle select (to
    > name a few) in the player. Mod kits with UOP override prevent the player
    > from reading and enforcing these controls, thus restoring your ability
    > to skip, fast forward ... etc This is something to keep in mind when
    > next purchasing a DVD player :)
    >
    > Oh, and by the way, I too share your wrath and anger at this annoying trend.
    >
    > MichaelC

    Thanks for the tips there Michael - definitely noted for the next
    player.

    And - egads!!! - I just watched 2fast 2furious (OK, I know, I know) and
    it had the same problem. Also a Universal DVD and also with 4 bloody
    trailers! Sheesh - gimme a break. Guess which DVDs are being
    returned.....(faulty aren't they??? ;))

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Dec 6, 2003
  19. NightStalker

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <0WhAb.9535$>, ferrari5
    @ameritech.net says...

    > return it. and contact universal and let them know
    > how you feel about them hacking product that you pay for
    > to own
    >
    > http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/contact_form.cgi?em
    > ail_id=10
    >
    > I already did, as the was the first DVD ive experienced this with.
    >
    > Matt

    Well, I guess contacting Universal is a bit like pissing in the ocean,
    but I've just sent off a fairly pointed email using that URL - thanks
    for that. And yes - the DVDs are being returned (see above post - 2Fast
    2Furious is the same as Bruce Almighty).

    Here is the text of my message to Universal:

    <Begin Quote>

    I wish to protest MOST strongly about the use of UOP (User Operation
    Prohibition) 'features' at the beginning of the DVDs in question. Being
    forced to sit through several minutes of stupid trailers for movies I do
    not wish to see, and moreover having this thrust on us EVERY time we
    watched the movies we paid for is completely unacceptable.

    Both DVDs are being returned tomorrow to the dealer with a request for a
    full refund. I bought the DVDs for the movies, NOT for the trailers.
    And having all the control buttons locked out by the UOP 'features' is a
    complete insult. It is MY home theatre, and I do NOT want unasked-for
    trailers and advertising.

    Please stop this ridiculous affront before it gets out of hand - you are
    already incurring a huge amount of ill will on the DVD newsgroups and
    forums, and this is from movie buffs who usually have collections
    running into the multi-hundreds if not thousands, as well as some well-
    distributed reviewers and feature writers. Once Universal DVDs get the
    reputation that this will give you, it can only be bad for sales.

    Thank you.

    </End Quote>

    Bet it doesn't even rate a response.

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Dec 6, 2003
  20. NightStalker

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > And NightStalker...a well deserved rant!!!

    Thank you :)

    > Need I mention "Warners On The Gold Coast"?

    Part of that burned down today - maybe somebody fed up of force-fed
    trailers? And no - it wasn't moi ;)

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Dec 6, 2003