Browsing with IR remote control

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jouni Hartikainen, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm using Firefox in a bit unconventional area as I'm building
    HTPC (home theater PC) with it using Linux. I have stripped all UI
    away from Firefox and I'm using it now to display the menus
    of my HTPC. The main functionality of the HTPC is written using
    Java servlets (servlets for example launch mplayer to play MP3s and
    videos etc.).

    Now I'd like to control my box using infrared remote control. I'm
    planning to control it in the normal way of using the four arrow buttons
    and the OK button of my remote.

    Now the problem arises with Firefox as it doesn't seem to provide
    any other way to navigate between links than in tabindex order
    (I can bind Tab and Shift+Tab to my remote just fine). Instead
    of that I'd like to navigate also using another axis of my four-way
    keys.

    So the question finally is: How could I get Firefox to navigate
    between links via keyboard in a way that when I press left arrow
    it goes to the nearest left link, with up arrow to nearest upper
    link etc.

    I have found one solution using Javascript. According to it I create
    "mapping" for each link in the page and then bind onKeyPress function
    to investigate that map and move the focus to the link mentioned in
    the map. This works just fine, but is bloody slow to implement, since I
    have to map each direction of each link on my page by hand.

    Has anyone any better idea? Maybe some extension could help here? (I
    checked all extension from mozilla.org, but none seemed to be suitable)

    All solutions are most welcome. I can use Javascript or other similar
    methods as much as I want, since the solution needs to support only
    Firefox. The simpler the solution the better.

    Sincerely,

    Jouni Hartikainen

    Jouni Hartikainen, Jan 26, 2005