Browsing problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by KMS, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. KMS

    KMS Guest

    I'm having browser problems and I can't seem to find a solution. I hope
    someone out there can help!

    Here's my setup:

    Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer
    Win2k Pro w/ SP4
    Firefox v. 1.5.0.4
    AVG free anti-virus
    Webroot Spy Sweeper
    Pest Patrol
    SBC Yahoo! DSL
    D-Link DI-514 wireless router

    I've never had any problems until a couple of weeks ago. I first
    noticed the problem with eBay, so I naturally assumed it was their
    fault. But now I've noticed the problems with other sites as well.

    I can eBay, and even browse auctions. Individual auctions open without
    a problem, but many links there just don't work. I cannot "send a
    message to the seller", "view bidding history", or even log in to my
    account, so I couldn't contact them for help! As a guest (without
    logging in), I can navigate a bit more, but when it comes to the links
    to ask for their tech support, it just fails again.

    I tried using eBay.ca (the Canadian site) and got further, but then
    things started failing again.

    Somewhere I read to empty my cache and cookies, and that seems to have
    worked for a little while, but it's not working now.

    Now I've noticed problems with Yahoo. I can log in, see the list of
    e-mails, and even open a few, but I can't download attachments. At that
    point, I can't do anything! I close the tab (in Firefox), and I can't
    even log in again. If I clear the cache and cookies, I can log in
    again, but can't get much further.

    I tried viewing these pages in IE thinking that it was a Firefox
    problem, but after a few pages, they won't open either.

    I've cleared cache, cookies, wiped out index.dat files, and cleared
    Java cache as well. I've deleted suspected lines in the "Hosts" file,
    then deleted the entire file, still with no success. (I've since
    restored the "Hosts" file.) I've disabled Spy Sweeper, AVG and Pest
    Patrol, all to no avail. Windows, Firefox and all extensions are
    up-to-date.

    My Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop with all of the same software, connecting
    wirelessly through the D-Link router, has no issues at all.

    Finally, I have no problems with any aspect of my Gmail account, or any
    Google related searches or pages. As near as I can tell, the problems
    APPEAR to only be related to eBay and Yahoo.

    Any ideas or suggestions?

    Thanks!!

    Kerry

    KMS, Jul 5, 2006

  2. KMS

    MarkMandell Guest

    "KMS" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having browser problems and I can't seem to find a solution. I hope
    > someone out there can help!
    >
    > Here's my setup:
    >
    > Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer
    > Win2k Pro w/ SP4
    > Firefox v. 1.5.0.4
    > AVG free anti-virus
    > Webroot Spy Sweeper
    > Pest Patrol
    > SBC Yahoo! DSL
    > D-Link DI-514 wireless router
    >
    > I've never had any problems until a couple of weeks ago. I first
    > noticed the problem with eBay, so I naturally assumed it was their
    > fault. But now I've noticed the problems with other sites as well.
    >
    > I can eBay, and even browse auctions. Individual auctions open without
    > a problem, but many links there just don't work. I cannot "send a
    > message to the seller", "view bidding history", or even log in to my
    > account, so I couldn't contact them for help! As a guest (without
    > logging in), I can navigate a bit more, but when it comes to the links
    > to ask for their tech support, it just fails again.
    >
    > I tried using eBay.ca (the Canadian site) and got further, but then
    > things started failing again.
    >
    > Somewhere I read to empty my cache and cookies, and that seems to have
    > worked for a little while, but it's not working now.
    >
    > Now I've noticed problems with Yahoo. I can log in, see the list of
    > e-mails, and even open a few, but I can't download attachments. At that
    > point, I can't do anything! I close the tab (in Firefox), and I can't
    > even log in again. If I clear the cache and cookies, I can log in
    > again, but can't get much further.
    >
    > I tried viewing these pages in IE thinking that it was a Firefox
    > problem, but after a few pages, they won't open either.
    >
    > I've cleared cache, cookies, wiped out index.dat files, and cleared
    > Java cache as well. I've deleted suspected lines in the "Hosts" file,
    > then deleted the entire file, still with no success. (I've since
    > restored the "Hosts" file.) I've disabled Spy Sweeper, AVG and Pest
    > Patrol, all to no avail. Windows, Firefox and all extensions are
    > up-to-date.
    >
    > My Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop with all of the same software, connecting
    > wirelessly through the D-Link router, has no issues at all.
    >
    > Finally, I have no problems with any aspect of my Gmail account, or any
    > Google related searches or pages. As near as I can tell, the problems
    > APPEAR to only be related to eBay and Yahoo.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Kerry

    Go from Start to Run, type in cmd, click OK and at the command screen at the
    cursor type in sfc /scannow. You'll then be asked to insert the Win XP CD.

    MarkMandell, Jul 5, 2006

  3. KMS

    KMS Guest

    Ok, it seems the D-Link router was the problem. Apparently, I was NOT
    able to open those pages on the laptop, connecting wirelessly through
    the router. I removed the router from the loop, connecting the desktop
    directly to the SBC Yahoo DSL 2Wire modem (which I never asked for -- I
    just wanted a simple modem!), and all pages appear to be opening fine.

    Well, at least it got me to clean out my cookies, cache and index.dat
    files!

    Kerry

    KMS, Jul 5, 2006