    that it is on the desktop PC. Any insights to why this is the case?
    Downloads / Browsing on the same sites on the laptop take aprox 30% quicker
    than on the PC
    RAM, Apr 27, 2004

  2. RAM

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:31:56 +0100, "RAM" <> wrote:

    >Hi. I have a PC and a Centrino laptop. Also have the Netgear DG834G wireless
    >ADSL router attached to the PC through a Cat5 cable. My ISP is Bulldog 2MB.
    >I have seen that browsing the net is much much faster on the centrino laptop
    >that it is on the desktop PC. Any insights to why this is the case?
    >Downloads / Browsing on the same sites on the laptop take aprox 30% quicker
    >than on the PC

    Go here, http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks , take the tweak test, and make
    the recommended changes. The MTU and RWIN settings are the most important.
    Check to see if the MTU and RWIN are optimized for the Cable modem.
    MTU-1500 RWIN-32767
    If you need to download "DrTCP.exe", here's the link.
    http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html
    After making the changes, you need to reboot for them to take effect.

    Also see: Navas Cable Modem-DSL Tuning Guide
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/
    Unk, Apr 27, 2004

  3. RAM wrote:

    > Hi. I have a PC and a Centrino laptop. Also have the Netgear DG834G wireless
    > ADSL router attached to the PC through a Cat5 cable. My ISP is Bulldog 2MB.
    > I have seen that browsing the net is much much faster on the centrino laptop
    > that it is on the desktop PC. Any insights to why this is the case?
    > Downloads / Browsing on the same sites on the laptop take aprox 30% quicker
    > than on the PC

    In addition to Unk's advice, I've seen a shitload of computers that are
    substantially slowed down or even stopped due to spyware. The user
    doesn't know it's there, or thinks that it's cute or whatever.

    Use updated versions of Adaware and Spybot to sweep your machine clean.
    Sometimes I have to start the machine in safe mode to install and run
    Adaware to get the first wave of crap off the hard drive, then restart
    in normal mode, update Adaware and run again.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 27, 2004
  4. RAM

    TT Guest

    RAM wrote:
    > Hi. I have a PC and a Centrino laptop. Also have the Netgear DG834G wireless
    > ADSL router attached to the PC through a Cat5 cable. My ISP is Bulldog 2MB.
    > I have seen that browsing the net is much much faster on the centrino laptop
    > that it is on the desktop PC. Any insights to why this is the case?
    > Downloads / Browsing on the same sites on the laptop take aprox 30% quicker
    > than on the PC

    between cookies that don't do what they say they do, temp files, and all
    kinds of spyware-you got some cleaning up to do. It's good to have a
    "control" like the laptop-you may not have noticed the gradual drop in
    speed without it...and now you can measure your cleaning
    effectiveness...Ashampoo is a great all in one that cleans all kinds of
    files but stll lets you control what it kills...it's a free download I
    think too--for a month or so...
    You should also see what is in your startup on the PC...anything like
    Webshots?
    TT, Apr 27, 2004