    & I need to hit the reload button to update it. Any ideas
    Only seems to have happened since I changed ISP, could it be due to
    the ISP's cache??
    Steve Robertson, Jul 23, 2003

  2. On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:33:01 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >Hi. Mozilla & Opera seem to load old webpages on some sites
    >& I need to hit the reload button to update it. Any ideas
    >Only seems to have happened since I changed ISP, could it be due to
    >the ISP's cache??

    Quite likely.

    In the name of cost-savings, some ISPs are using very agressive
    caching these days and those sites which don't provide all the header
    info required to establish a valid expiry date for content are being
    cached by default when GOOD cache management would dictate that they
    should not be cached.

    I bitched about this in Aardvark some time ago and, as if by a
    miracle, Xtra stopped incorrectly caching some of the sites I visit
    regularly -- although I've noticed a couple of new ones they're
    incorrectly caching now.

    I suspect it's more about boosting the bottom line than it is about
    technical incompetence, especially if your a Jetstream user who is
    being charged $$$ for over-cap international traffic.

    It's scandalous that they can charge you $0.20 or so per megabyte for
    pages that are actually being dished up from their own local caches --
    and stale pages at that!

    Maybe it's so that Jetstream users have to force a refresh to make
    sure they're actually getting a current copy of the pages they browse
    -- and therefore Xtra/Telecom get to charge you twice as much.

    Bruce Simpson, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Steve Robertson

    Alden Bates Guest

    (Steve Robertson) wrote:
    >Hi. Mozilla & Opera seem to load old webpages on some sites
    >& I need to hit the reload button to update it. Any ideas
    >Only seems to have happened since I changed ISP, could it be due to
    >the ISP's cache??

    I had one page which would randomly give me a version from ~6 months
    ago. Paradise seems to have several proxy servers which you get at
    random, and one of them had an old copy stuck in it.

    alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com
    Alden Bates, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Steve Robertson

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, Mainlander
    wrote...
    > I see he is posting on clear. They are actually one of the worst
    > offenders and in fact the main reason why I changed to Paradise.

    Is there a difference????
    colinco, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Steve Robertson

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>, Mainlander
    > wrote...
    > > I see he is posting on clear. They are actually one of the worst
    > > offenders and in fact the main reason why I changed to Paradise.
    > >

    > Is there a difference????

    Using different servers, there has been an obvious improvement and I was
    able to get them to remove a site from their cacheflow.
    Mainlander, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Patrick Dunford, using his alias "Mainlander", wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > ess says...

    [...]
    > > In the name of cost-savings, some ISPs are using very agressive
    > > caching these days and those sites which don't provide all the header
    > > info required to establish a valid expiry date for content are being
    > > cached by default when GOOD cache management would dictate that they
    > > should not be cached.

    [...]

    > I see he is posting on clear. They are actually one of the worst
    > offenders and in fact the main reason why I changed to Paradise.

    I do recall you telling us at the time.

    [before you changed]

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=

    ; This is very typical of Clear's HTTP service. The server cache can't be
    ; persuaded to supply the new version of files even when the old file has
    ; actually been deleted from the server.

    [after you changed]

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=

    ; Everything else on Paradise has been fine, HTTP much better than clear
    ; wich uses a braindead caching system.

    --
    Kerrie ;-)
    Kerrie Felderton, Jul 24, 2003