    path box, then it will go there.

    ???
    , Apr 22, 2011

  2. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:29:23 -0500, in message <>
    wrote:

    > In both Firefox and IE, all google paid-for ads that come up during a
    > search, are in a yellowish box,

    Google puts ads in a yellowish box, so you can see which are
    real search results and which are paid-for ads.
    See <http://www.seroundtable.com/yellow-google-ads-12938.html>

    > and the links will not work.

    This is a completely separate thing to the yellowish box.

    > The
    > browser come up with a number of explanations why it cannot reach the
    > site.

    Could you tell us what explanations were displayed?

    > I have renamed the HOST file to no avail. I have double-triple
    > checked all add-ons to see if they are blocking these sites. They
    > aren't. I've went through all the security settings in both browsers
    > with no luck. What in the heck is coloring these Google paid-for ads

    Google do this to distinguish paid-for "adwords" from real search results.
    Also see <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=573475b149e72e56&hl=en>

    > and keeping the links from working?

    The link you click on uses a redirect. This is so Google can count
    click-throughs.

    Perhaps you are blocking redirects? If not, it could be one of
    several other things.

    You wrote, "The browser come up with a number of explanations why it
    cannot reach the site". It would be helpful if you told us what those
    explanations were. That could give a clue.

    > But - if I enter the URL in the
    > path box, then it will go there.

    For example, the paid-for ad might show the link as "google.com/places"
    but the link you click on is
    "http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CwlmpDBOyTdKwKYLZtwf_4vFx6s2G2QGKyqnLGJK73pwCCAAQAVC9soaM______8BYKvssYXgGKABrP-U_gPIAQGqBBhP0ARKNwGBvGf4_TsGCh6KUkc8EXs3-ZC6BRMIyO2amaexqAIVCEo0Ch3GcRjcygUA&rct=j&q=Google%20search%20ads&ei=DBOyTci3E4iU0QHG4-HgDQ&sig=AGiWqtxUovjYVMAGvPiC5tB8pMqBRCBcZg&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.google.com/local/add%3Fservice%3Dlbc%26utm_campaign%3Den%26utm_source%3Den-ha-apac-au-google%26utm_medium%3Dha%26utm_term%3Dlist%2520google&cad=rja"

    Which URL are you entering in the path box?

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 23, 2011

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:18:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:29:23 -0500, in message <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In both Firefox and IE, all google paid-for ads that come up during a
    >> search, are in a yellowish box,

    >Google puts ads in a yellowish box, so you can see which are
    >real search results and which are paid-for ads.
    >See <http://www.seroundtable.com/yellow-google-ads-12938.html>
    >

    >> and the links will not work.

    >This is a completely separate thing to the yellowish box.

    Okay.

    >> The
    >> browser come up with a number of explanations why it cannot reach the
    >> site.

    >Could you tell us what explanations were displayed?

    Network is too busy. Proxy connection problem. Site might be
    temporarily unavailable.

    Standard stuff. No error message of any real relevance.

    >> I have renamed the HOST file to no avail. I have double-triple
    >> checked all add-ons to see if they are blocking these sites. They
    >> aren't. I've went through all the security settings in both browsers
    >> with no luck. What in the heck is coloring these Google paid-for ads

    >Google do this to distinguish paid-for "adwords" from real search results.
    >Also see <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=573475b149e72e56&hl=en>
    >

    >> and keeping the links from working?

    >The link you click on uses a redirect. This is so Google can count
    >click-throughs.
    >
    >Perhaps you are blocking redirects? If not, it could be one of
    >several other things.

    That probably is the matter, but I'll be danged if I can find that
    setting.

    >> But - if I enter the URL in the
    >> path box, then it will go there.

    >Which URL are you entering in the path box?

    One directly to the site itself without the google stuff. So,
    evidently, your explanation is correct. Again, where in the H#$$ is
    this setting? I and my wife have the same comps, both with Firefox
    and IE on them, but mine does not do this quirky thing. I just cannot
    find the setting(s) causing it on her machine.

    Thanks for clearing up the Google pastel setting for me. :eek:)
    , Apr 23, 2011
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:29:23 -0500, in message <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In both Firefox and IE, all google paid-for ads that come up during a
    >> search, are in a yellowish box,

    >Google puts ads in a yellowish box, so you can see which are
    >real search results and which are paid-for ads.
    >See <http://www.seroundtable.com/yellow-google-ads-12938.html>
    >

    >> and the links will not work.

    >This is a completely separate thing to the yellowish box.
    >

    >> The
    >> browser come up with a number of explanations why it cannot reach the
    >> site.

    >Could you tell us what explanations were displayed?
    >

    >> I have renamed the HOST file to no avail. I have double-triple
    >> checked all add-ons to see if they are blocking these sites. They
    >> aren't. I've went through all the security settings in both browsers
    >> with no luck. What in the heck is coloring these Google paid-for ads

    >Google do this to distinguish paid-for "adwords" from real search results.
    >Also see <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=573475b149e72e56&hl=en>
    >

    >> and keeping the links from working?

    >The link you click on uses a redirect. This is so Google can count
    >click-throughs.
    >
    >Perhaps you are blocking redirects? If not, it could be one of
    >several other things.
    >
    >You wrote, "The browser come up with a number of explanations why it
    >cannot reach the site". It would be helpful if you told us what those
    >explanations were. That could give a clue.
    >

    >> But - if I enter the URL in the
    >> path box, then it will go there.

    >For example, the paid-for ad might show the link as "google.com/places"
    >but the link you click on is
    >"http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CwlmpDBOyTdKwKYLZtwf_4vFx6s2G2QGKyqnLGJK73pwCCAAQAVC9soaM______8BYKvssYXgGKABrP-U_gPIAQGqBBhP0ARKNwGBvGf4_TsGCh6KUkc8EXs3-ZC6BRMIyO2amaexqAIVCEo0Ch3GcRjcygUA&rct=j&q=Google%20search%20ads&ei=DBOyTci3E4iU0QHG4-HgDQ&sig=AGiWqtxUovjYVMAGvPiC5tB8pMqBRCBcZg&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.google.com/local/add%3Fservice%3Dlbc%26utm_campaign%3Den%26utm_source%3Den-ha-apac-au-google%26utm_medium%3Dha%26utm_term%3Dlist%2520google&cad=rja"
    >
    >Which URL are you entering in the path box?

    I might add the reason I never noticed the yellow on those Google
    links before is because on my comp I have the page color settings set
    to a pale beige, instead of letting the browser show the usual bright
    white background. That glare is too much for these old eyes. Also,
    since I don't have the redirect problem she does, I never noticed that
    the actual URL in the path box. I only looked at the one showing in
    the search link, which does not contain the Google redirect path.

    So, I hope someone can tell me where this problem originates.
    , Apr 23, 2011
  5. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:50:19 -0500, in message <>
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:18:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:29:23 -0500, in message <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In both Firefox and IE, all google paid-for ads that come up during a
    >>> search, are in a yellowish box,

    >> Google puts ads in a yellowish box, so you can see which are
    >> real search results and which are paid-for ads.
    >> See <http://www.seroundtable.com/yellow-google-ads-12938.html>
    >>

    >>> and the links will not work.

    >> This is a completely separate thing to the yellowish box.

    > Okay.
    >

    >>> The
    >>> browser come up with a number of explanations why it cannot reach the
    >>> site.

    >> Could you tell us what explanations were displayed?

    > Network is too busy. Proxy connection problem. Site might be
    > temporarily unavailable.
    >
    > Standard stuff. No error message of any real relevance.

    This sounds like a problem with your Internet connection.
    It is not what would show if your browser was blocking redirects.

    From the second message, it appears that your proxy settings
    are something other than "No proxy". Unless you are using Firefox
    behind a corporate firewall, I would suggest trying "No proxy" to
    see if this works better.

    Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> Network >> Connection >> Settings

    >>> I have renamed the HOST file to no avail.
    >>> I have double-triple
    >>> checked all add-ons to see if they are blocking these sites. They
    >>> aren't. I've went through all the security settings in both browsers
    >>> with no luck. What in the heck is coloring these Google paid-for ads

    >> Google do this to distinguish paid-for "adwords" from real search results.
    >> Also see <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=573475b149e72e56&hl=en>
    >>

    >>> and keeping the links from working?

    >> The link you click on uses a redirect. This is so Google can count
    >> click-throughs.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you are blocking redirects? If not, it could be one of
    >> several other things.

    > That probably is the matter, but I'll be danged if I can find that
    > setting.

    See [in Firefox 4]
    Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> General >> Accessibility
    [ ] Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page

    The other way this may be done is with an add-on like NoRedirect
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/noredirect/

    Ralph Fox, Apr 23, 2011
  6. Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:03:05 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    snipped

    >>> Could you tell us what explanations were displayed?

    >> Network is too busy. Proxy connection problem. Site might be
    >> temporarily unavailable.
    >>
    >> Standard stuff. No error message of any real relevance.

    >This sounds like a problem with your Internet connection.
    >It is not what would show if your browser was blocking redirects.

    No. We have two different computers on Comcast 10mb cable with a
    wireless modem/router feeding my wife's comp. My comp is hooked up to
    the cable directly with the modem/router.

    I just don't see how the connection could influence this.

    >From the second message, it appears that your proxy settings
    >are something other than "No proxy". Unless you are using Firefox
    >behind a corporate firewall, I would suggest trying "No proxy" to
    >see if this works better.
    >
    > Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> Network >> Connection >> Settings

    No, no - I guess I mislead you with the way I expressed the error
    message. The possible errors, standard fare, were stock answers
    meaning:

    Maybe the Network is busy.
    Maybe it's your Internet connection.
    Maybe it's your proxy.

    Why it brought up the latter, I don't know. The browser is not set
    for proxy operation. I am not using a proxy. I also am not behind
    any corporate firewall. The only firewall I'm using is Win XP's,
    which only protects against incoming junk.

    Every other function of FF or IE is working normally on her machine.
    I just don't get it.

    snipped

    >See [in Firefox 4]
    > Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> General >> Accessibility
    > [ ] Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page

    I checked that earlier. It was not checked, and that would have only
    warned of a redirect and not put up the error page, I think.

    >The other way this may be done is with an add-on like NoRedirect
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/noredirect/

    Don't have that.

    >>> Which URL are you entering in the path box?

    >> One directly to the site itself without the google stuff. So,
    >> evidently, your explanation is correct. Again, where in the H#$$ is
    >> this setting? I and my wife have the same comps, both with Firefox
    >> and IE on them, but mine does not do this quirky thing. I just cannot
    >> find the setting(s) causing it on her machine.
    >>
    >> Thanks for clearing up the Google pastel setting for me. :eek:)

    It is a puzzlement. One that's driving me buggy.
    , Apr 23, 2011
  7. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:06:45 -0500, in message <>
    wrote:

    > >> Network is too busy. Proxy connection problem. Site might be
    > >> temporarily unavailable.
    > >>
    > >> Standard stuff. No error message of any real relevance.

    > >This sounds like a problem with your Internet connection.
    > >It is not what would show if your browser was blocking redirects.

    > No. We have two different computers on Comcast 10mb cable with a
    > wireless modem/router feeding my wife's comp. My comp is hooked up to
    > the cable directly with the modem/router.
    >
    > I just don't see how the connection could influence this.
    >
    > >From the second message, it appears that your proxy settings
    > >are something other than "No proxy". Unless you are using Firefox
    > >behind a corporate firewall, I would suggest trying "No proxy" to
    > >see if this works better.
    > >
    > > Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> Network >> Connection >> Settings
    > >

    > No, no - I guess I mislead you with the way I expressed the error
    > message. The possible errors, standard fare, were stock answers
    > meaning:
    >
    > Maybe the Network is busy.
    > Maybe it's your Internet connection.
    > Maybe it's your proxy.

    I will sometimes see the following error message when trying to
    load a website. This only happens to me at some times of the day.
    It happens when my ISP's local network here is congested by lots
    of other Internet customers. Re-loading often brings up the page,
    depending on how congested the network is.

    | Server not found
    |
    | Firefox can't find the server at www.foonly.example
    |
    | * Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of
    | www.example.com
    |
    | * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    |
    | * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that
    | Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

    Last year, on those evenings when the FIFA world cup was on and
    all my neighbours were glued to the TV, I did not see this
    problem at all. The following evening, with no FIFA match,
    they were on the net and problem was back again.

    Are you and your wife both trying this at the same time, on the same day?

    > Why it brought up the latter, I don't know. The browser is not set
    > for proxy operation. I am not using a proxy.

    Even though your browser is not set for proxy operation, your connection
    might still go through an "intercepting" proxy. For example, many ISPs
    run an "intercepting" proxy cache to help reduce the backbone traffic
    which they have to pay for. And badly-configured proxies (ISP or yours)
    can cause problems.
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server#Transparent_proxies>

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 27, 2011
  8. Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:29:23 -0500, wrote:

    >In both Firefox and IE, all google paid-for ads that come up during a
    >search, are in a yellowish box, and the links will not work. The
    >browser come up with a number of explanations why it cannot reach the
    >site.
    >
    >I have renamed the HOST file to no avail. I have double-triple
    >checked all add-ons to see if they are blocking these sites. They
    >aren't. I've went through all the security settings in both browsers
    >with no luck. What in the heck is coloring these Google paid-for ads
    >and keeping the links from working? But - if I enter the URL in the
    >path box, then it will go there.
    >
    >???

    You should be thankful about this. Those sites are mostly just spam
    anyhow.
    , May 24, 2011