Browser weirdness - website not updating

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by perilous, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. perilous

    perilous Guest

    Hi! I've lurked here for quite a while. Now I have a problem, and I"m
    hoping to get some help from some of you good folks. This is driving
    me insane! :)

    I am working with a friend of mine on a new website, located at
    vkmanor.org. The domain was registered and newly hosted two days ago,
    and as far as I can tell the nameservers have successfully completed
    propagation.

    Everyone else who goes to this site, or to the forum pages (located at
    http://vkmanor.org/vkmforum) is able to gain access without issue.
    Unfortunately, as admin on the site I need access most of all, and I am
    continually getting the GoDaddy placeholder page instead of the pages
    that I KNOW are there. Yesterday I worked on the site for several
    hours. Then, out of the blue, for no reason at all, I started getting
    that GoDaddy placeholder page and I can't seem to get rid of it now.
    Randomly I will be able to successfully access some page or other on
    the site, but then spontaneously I'll click a link and it'll throw me
    back to the GoDaddy page.

    This isnt happening on my roommates' computers; nor is it happening
    with any other user of the site so far. Only me. :p I use Firefox
    1.5, but after I started having all these issues I tried to access the
    site in IE (which I never use anymore except for the occasional
    troubleshooting, like this instance), and I get the GoDaddy placeholder
    page there, too.

    In Firefox I can now successfully access the main page of the forum,
    but when I try to get into the administrator's section, it throws me to
    the GoDaddy page. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to this
    at all.

    I've cleaned out my cache, history, passwords, cookies, temp files,
    ..bak files, I've run two scans using disk utility software and totally
    cleaned my hard drives of all the extraneous files I could reach. I've
    run spyware checks and virus scans. I've rebooted ten thousand times.
    Nothing is working.

    Can anyone help me resolve this? I'm losing my mind over here. :)

    Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or advice anyone can
    throw my way.

    Take care

    Perilous
    perilous, Feb 2, 2006

  2. perilous wrote:

    > I am working with a friend of mine on a new website, located at
    > vkmanor.org.

    Things I noticed:
    a. There is no index page in your root directory. Visitors get a listing
    of: /cgi-bin/ ... /vkmforum/ ...
    b. All of your images are missing, in the phpbb template tree.

    The forum seems to work, though I didn't try to register.
    Can't help with your login stuff.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006

  3. perilous

    perilous Guest

    Hi there, thanks for your reply.

    As I said, the site is brand new. I know there is no index page in my
    root directory, because I haven't placed one yet due to the other issue
    I'm trying to sort out.

    The problem I'm having right now is that even though the site is
    propagated, I'm still getting the GoDaddy placeholder page randomly for
    some pages I actually KNOW are there.

    As far as images are concerned, I haven't uploaded any. So that must
    be an issue on your end if youre seeing broken images, since the only
    images that would be there were put in place by the installation of the
    forum, which is a phpBB package.

    I didnt say anything about login issues at all either. I can log in
    just fine...when I'm not randomly tossed out to the GoDaddy placeholder
    page.

    None of your comments actually addressed anything I asked about...but
    thanks for your time in responding. Hehe.

    Anyone have any useful suggestions? :)

    Thanks!

    Take care

    Perilous
    perilous, Feb 2, 2006
  4. perilous wrote:

    > Hi there, thanks for your reply.

    I guess that would be me.

    > As I said, the site is brand new. I know there is no index page in my
    > root directory, because I haven't placed one yet due to the other
    > issue I'm trying to sort out.

    Then you could have mentioned it when you gave the domain name to check.
    "I am working with a friend of mine on a new website, located at
    vkmanor.org" - so that was what I typed in my browser.

    > The problem I'm having right now is that even though the site is
    > propagated, I'm still getting the GoDaddy placeholder page randomly
    > for some pages I actually KNOW are there.

    How about a specific, complete URL to a couple of these pages? Today is
    not my turn with the crystal ball.

    > As far as images are concerned, I haven't uploaded any. So that must
    > be an issue on your end if youre seeing broken images,

    Broken? No, missing ... browser shows 'placeholders'. For example:
    <http://www.vkmanor.org/vkmforum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif>
    does not show on your main forum page. Neither do any of the others.

    > since the only images that would be there were put in place by the
    > installation of the forum, which is a phpBB package.

    As I said, the phpbb images do not appear to be on your server.

    > I didnt say anything about login issues at all either. I can log in
    > just fine...when I'm not randomly tossed out to the GoDaddy
    > placeholder page.

    "but when I try to get into the administrator's section, it throws me to
    the GoDaddy page". I took that ("administrator's section") to mean you
    were trying to access (e.g. log in) a page.

    > None of your comments actually addressed anything I asked about...but
    > thanks for your time in responding. Hehe.

    Hehe.

    BTW, please see this page which will show you how to quote when using
    the GG web interface to Usenet. Thanks.
    http://safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006
  5. On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:02:28 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > perilous wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there, thanks for your reply.

    > I guess that would be me.

    Hold that thought about quoting...

    <snip>

    > How about a specific, complete URL to a couple of these pages? Today is
    > not my turn with the crystal ball.

    ....I have the crystal ball today, but I won't waste the batteries using it
    for Google Groupers. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:02:28 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> How about a specific, complete URL to a couple of these pages? Today
    >> is not my turn with the crystal ball.

    > ...I have the crystal ball today, but I won't waste the batteries
    > using it for Google Groupers. :)

    What? You've lost the AC adaptor? :-0

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2006
  7. On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 20:16:00 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:02:28 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> How about a specific, complete URL to a couple of these pages? Today is
    >>> not my turn with the crystal ball.

    >> ...I have the crystal ball today, but I won't waste the batteries using
    >> it for Google Groupers. :)

    > What? You've lost the AC adaptor? :-0

    Didn't get it from the last guy. Bastard must've kept it for his Walkman.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 2, 2006
  8. On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:26:00 +0000, Deano wrote:

    > I've had a similar problem in the past where I couldn't access my own
    > webspace from my pc. I think resetting the router may have helped but
    > eventually the problem just disappeared and I can't really say why.

    Clearing the cache often helps too.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona|anomoP, CA * http://www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
    Gary G. Taylor, Feb 2, 2006
  9. perilous

    Deano Guest

    perilous wrote:
    > Hi! I've lurked here for quite a while. Now I have a problem, and
    > I"m hoping to get some help from some of you good folks. This is
    > driving me insane! :)
    >
    > I am working with a friend of mine on a new website, located at
    > vkmanor.org. The domain was registered and newly hosted two days ago,
    > and as far as I can tell the nameservers have successfully completed
    > propagation.
    >
    > Everyone else who goes to this site, or to the forum pages (located at
    > http://vkmanor.org/vkmforum) is able to gain access without issue.
    > Unfortunately, as admin on the site I need access most of all, and I
    > am continually getting the GoDaddy placeholder page instead of the
    > pages that I KNOW are there. Yesterday I worked on the site for
    > several hours. Then, out of the blue, for no reason at all, I
    > started getting that GoDaddy placeholder page and I can't seem to get
    > rid of it now. Randomly I will be able to successfully access some
    > page or other on the site, but then spontaneously I'll click a link
    > and it'll throw me back to the GoDaddy page.
    >
    > This isnt happening on my roommates' computers; nor is it happening
    > with any other user of the site so far. Only me. :p I use Firefox
    > 1.5, but after I started having all these issues I tried to access the
    > site in IE (which I never use anymore except for the occasional
    > troubleshooting, like this instance), and I get the GoDaddy
    > placeholder page there, too.
    >
    > In Firefox I can now successfully access the main page of the forum,
    > but when I try to get into the administrator's section, it throws me
    > to the GoDaddy page. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to
    > this at all.
    >
    > I've cleaned out my cache, history, passwords, cookies, temp files,
    > .bak files, I've run two scans using disk utility software and totally
    > cleaned my hard drives of all the extraneous files I could reach.
    > I've run spyware checks and virus scans. I've rebooted ten thousand
    > times. Nothing is working.

    What do GoDaddy have to say about this?

    Can you access it by IP address?

    Deano, Feb 3, 2006