browser stops working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Owens, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    One of my machines has w 98 with ie6.
    For the past 2 weeks it has been behaving weirdly.

    On boot up I can get the browser to work but after about half an hour
    everything I try generates a 'cannot find server' error.

    I can ping the outside world, even by name e.g., www.bbc.co.uk but not
    browse.

    I have F-secure running (and am doing an extra manual scan now).

    The machine is not often used, its a back up sitting on a network linked by
    a Linksys router. (Occasionally I browse from it for yahoo web mail on one
    account to check the spam folder. Somethimes I listen to radio etc.)
    No other machines on the network have the problem.

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks

    John

    --
    John Owens
    www.goodviews.co.uk
    John Owens, Jan 6, 2006

  2. John Owens

    jimmie Guest

    Yes, I have been having a similar p[roblem for a couple of days. IUE
    6.0 and Firefox work fine, but Opera, and Avant Browser give me
    "Cannot find server errors each time I try to use them.

    Very stwange!

    jimmie, Feb 26, 2006