Browser stops working but Internet still connected

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Mar 31, 2007.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    I'm having this problem on a Vista 64 bit machine, but it also happens on a
    machine using plain old 32-bit XP (though the processor is a single core,
    AMD 64-bit).

    I sometimes have problems connecting to websites using the browser. But at
    the same time, I can still check email and participate in NGs (as I am now).
    I can download data from financial institutions using Quicken. Instant
    messenger programs work.

    So, while the browser has trouble connecting, the Internet connection is
    obviously still there and working because these other programs show that to
    be the case. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it can't connect
    either during these periods either. So it's not just an IE problem.

    Both the Vista 64 and the XP 32 machines go through the same DSL modem. The
    Vista machine is connected wirelessly to the DSL modem.

    Both are using IE7. The Vista machine is using the version that came on the
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM disk. The 32-bit machine is using a version I
    downloaded several months earlier.

    While I was in the process of writing this, a box popped up in the corner of
    my screen telling me that Avast AV has been updated. Usually that box pops
    up at bootup. But just now the machine had been on for several minutes when
    it popped up. Once that happened, I figured whatever had been the problem
    had ended, so I fired up Opera and it connected. (Before anyone says the
    problem was caused by the AV update, I can assure you that's not the case.
    The problem happens on two machines and I have that AV only loaded on one.
    I've also had the AV update on bootup, but then have this connectivity
    problem show up later.)

    Two more things:

    1) When this problem happens, if I put my cursor over the internet
    connection icon in the system tray (on the Vista machine), it will show the
    connection and say "local access only." When I'm not having problems with
    the browser, it will show "Local and Internet."

    2) When this problem occurs, I usually can still access my company's email
    website. I'm not sure, but I assume my company's email server is in the same
    city as my home, which is why I can access it. But I can't access any other
    internet sites.

    So, I guess my questions are:

    1) What is "local access only"? Is it a problem with my ISP? With my DSL
    modem?

    2) And why, when in "local access" mode, can I still get stuff from
    non-local sources while using Windows Mail, Quicken and instant messenger?
    DP, Mar 31, 2007

  2. DP

    DP Guest

    Just to clarify: As I point out near the end of the message, I can check
    email and newsgroups using Windows Mail in Vista. So while the browsers
    won't connect, Windows Mail can still connect (as can Quicken and instant
    messaging).

    DP, Mar 31, 2007

  3. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds almost exactly like the problem I had several weeks ago. None of the
    few ideas helped and I resorted to a system restore. You can check my
    postings and replies from 3/19 and earlier. My find isn't working for some
    reason, maybe yours will. Both had IE7 in the subject

    John Barnes, Mar 31, 2007
  4. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, John.
    Since my problem is occurring on two machines, I don't think that anything
    you do to a specific machine is really a solution. I'm thinking it must be
    from the DSL modem and out; not from anything that happens between the DSL
    modem and anything connected to it in the house.
    Curious: Is that your real email address or a spam trap? I'm on Bellsouth
    DSL. Was just checking to make sure you're not as well, cause if you are,
    that could be an explanation. Also note that BellSouth and ATT just merged,
    so if you're on any provider somehow connected with AT&T, that may be a
    common point as well.
    Also, I'm in southeastern Louisiana. Are you anywhere close to that?
    I'm just trying to see if we can narrow down commonalities between our two
    situations.

    The problem for me is intermittent. It may happen several times in the
    course of a few hours.
    I have sometimes disconnected the power from the modem, waited at least 30
    seconds and reconnected and then restarted the 32-bit machine that's
    hard-wired to the modem. Sometimes that seems to fix the problem. But it's
    also possible the problem fixed itself during the time when the computer was
    shut down and the modem powered down.

    DP, Mar 31, 2007
  5. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm in eastern Washington. I have a satellite connection thought it was a
    problem on the dial-up backup also. My connections lasted approximately 1
    1/2 hours before the internet connection stopped. OE Vista Mail, a Java app
    and streaming audio continued to work. I tried Firefox and it had the exact
    same problem. Rebooting solved the problem each time for me, for about 1
    1/2 hours, then after about 4-5 reboots in a day, it would seem to clear up
    for the rest of the day most days.

    John Barnes, Mar 31, 2007
  6. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    I also had the same connection bubble you did, with local - internet and
    then only local. Also tried all the ipconfig options I knew of and that
    were suggested.

    John Barnes, Mar 31, 2007
  7. DP

    DP Guest

    And it's strange that I can get to my company's email website -- USING
    internet explorer -- while I can't get to any other websites. I guess
    that's what local access means.

    DP, Mar 31, 2007
  8. DP

    Kue2 Guest

    Have u tried updating drivers for your nic card?

    Kue2, Mar 31, 2007
  9. DP

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Try this test for your router.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

    --
    Kerry Brown
    Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Mar 31, 2007
  10. DP

    Guest Guest

    http://www.fiddlertool.com/

    Is the Microsoft HTTP debugger

    This will list conversations between you and the web site.

    If this doesn't give hints you can use Netmon3 to see exactly what is
    happening. But you may not be technical enough.

    http://www.download3k.com/Install-MISPBO-Network-Monitor.html

    And don't forget that Network diaganostics are built into Windows. But in
    Vista they nobbled it to prevent you from using it. There is only a stupid
    dialog (previously typing

    Netsh Diag GUI

    would start a GUI diaganostic session). Even command line access has been
    nobbled. I did some web searching and many people mustn't try typing before
    putting up a web page about it. Even Netsh Connect has disappeared. Also
    useless without help AND it's a stupid program that is stateful like an FTP
    commandline program,

    You have a GUI access to it somewhere in Help and Support. Use Network
    Diagnostics as the search term. What a surprise Netdiag isn't in help or
    even on the computer. But the functions are built into windows in a user
    unfriendly way. (you can also waste time by accessing it in Networking and
    Sharing Centre)
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...87ea-4f7a-9806-0b54e1c00a771033.mspx?mfr=true

    I can only reccommend going bavk to a working OS with help files and proper
    tools like XP or 2000.

    Guest, Mar 31, 2007
  11. DP

    Guest Guest

    Is your Email server on your network?

    Remember to use tracert (which help is completely unable to give help on - I
    couldn't remember the name as it's been years since I last had network
    problems - so I tried route in Help and got lots of useless hits - I had to
    go look at the files to find the name.)

    PathPing, if Microsoft hasn't destroyed this too combines tracert with Ping.
    Every stage on the Route gets pinged so if your ISP router (or your ISP's
    ISP's Router) is not working properly this will show. But due to DoS attacks
    a lot of things refuse pings - so it's less useful these days for public
    internet troubleshooting.

    IE should, on the page where it says whatever give you a pathetic message
    but also allow diagnostics. I have trouble connecting to a handfull of
    Americian site - basically the three War Colleges in the US - and it's been
    this way for years. After not working (Naval War College) all week I go to
    try out Diags on it so it works. So I'm off to download a copy of the review
    while I can (if you want to read
    http://www.nwc.navy.mil/press/Review/2006/autumn/rtoc-a06.htm)
    ..

    Guest, Mar 31, 2007
  12. DP

    Bill Guest

    I solved the very same problem on a friends laptop yesterday. Exact same
    symptoms. Turned out to be the McAfee Security Center. Uninstalled all the
    McAfee stuff, installed Avast, Windows Defender, CCleaner and problems were
    solved. He had two other machines on the same router, but neither of them
    had similar symptoms. One thing I noticed on his laptop was when I
    attempted to open a web page, it appeared to go to the site for an instant
    and then gave the 404 error and IE7 would show the url as http:// in the
    address bar instead of the full url. BTW, I did a thorough investigation
    for malware, but nothing showed up.

    BullDawg

    Bill, Mar 31, 2007
  13. Just a thought...
    On the XP machine...uninstall IE7 go back to IE6.
    I did that on my XP system and stopped what you are disscribing.
    It won't hurt to try you can always go back to IE7.
    Another thought...
    What firewall are you useing?
    Windows firewall blocks sites.for some reason, without you telling it to.
    Have you tried browsing with the firewall turned off?
    I got a third party firewall and have windows firewall completely dissabled.
    A lot smoother web surfing now.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG9hdHQ=?=, Mar 31, 2007
  14. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    So, exactly what do you have to lose by doing a system restore and seeing if
    it fixes your problem on one machine, before you get too far away and have
    good reasons for not wanting to do it. You can always undo it 24 hours
    later if it doesn't help.

    John Barnes, Mar 31, 2007
  15. DP

    Dshai Guest

    Just for the sake of clarification, when this occurs it's both machines that
    have no internet (read that browsing) capabilities? When one gets it back
    the other does as well?

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Mar 31, 2007
  16. DP

    DP Guest

    I'm not using McAfee, Bill. But thanks for trying.

    DP, Apr 1, 2007
  17. DP

    DP Guest

    Yes, that is correct, Dshai. Which is why I think the problem must be from
    the DSL modem outward.

    DP, Apr 1, 2007
  18. DP

    DP Guest

    <.> wrote in message news:...
    > Is your Email server on your network?

    You're asking about my company email server? No. This problem happens when
    I'm at home, but I am able to access the web page from which i read my
    company emails. Unable to access any other websites that I know of. If I can
    find a website that I know for sure is on a server in my city, I would go
    looking for it next time I get the local access only problem. (Meanwhile, I
    can access my personal email account using Windows Mail.)

    Meanwhile, . , thanks for all your other suggestions in your two emails.
    It's a lot to digest, but I will try to give one or more of your suggestions
    a try.

    DP, Apr 1, 2007
  19. DP

    Guest Guest

    Try the network diagnostics as well. Type it in Help and you'll find it.

    Guest, Apr 1, 2007
  20. DP:
    Sorry for jumping in rather late.
    How about trying to set the MTU default value from 1492 to a lower one?
    That once worked for me on another OS.
    Don't know how it is done in Vista (the MTU value change).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 1, 2007