    group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.

    Best regards .
    Will.

    will, Oct 13, 2005

  2. will wrote:
    > Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
    > problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
    > sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
    > group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
    >
    > Best regards .
    > Will.

    User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
    spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
    and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
    his browser sniffing script to reflect that.

    The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
    Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
    bit more.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2005

  3. will

    will Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:31:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >will wrote:
    >> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
    >> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
    >> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
    >> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
    >>
    >> Best regards .
    >> Will.

    >User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
    >spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
    >and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
    >his browser sniffing script to reflect that.
    >
    >The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
    >Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
    >bit more.
    >
    >Lee

    Just what I was looking for Lee but I'm on FF 1.5b2 and it doesn't
    appear to work :eek:( looks like a handy tool for developers though
    thanks for your answer. I'll keep an eye out for an update.

    will, Oct 13, 2005
  4. will wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:31:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> will wrote:
    >>> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
    >>> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
    >>> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
    >>> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards .
    >>> Will.

    >> User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
    >> spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
    >> and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
    >> his browser sniffing script to reflect that.
    >>
    >> The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
    >> Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
    >> bit more.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Just what I was looking for Lee but I'm on FF 1.5b2 and it doesn't
    > appear to work :eek:( looks like a handy tool for developers though
    > thanks for your answer. I'll keep an eye out for an update.

    Being a beta version, most extensions are not updated for it. One of
    the reasons for releasing betas is to allow extension writer to test
    their extensions on the new model, before the major release.

    There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
    maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
    this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
    You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
    NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2. You should then be able to make the
    extensions compatible.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2005
  5. will

    gwtc Guest

    will wrote:

    > Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
    > problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
    > sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
    > group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
    >
    > Best regards .
    > Will.

    Since Lee answered your first question I will answer the other.

    The firefox newsgroup is
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.firefox. This can
    be accessed by anyone regardless of your ISP. Just create a new
    newsgroup and enter snews://secnews.netscape.com into the account
    name, and change the port to 563.

    gwtc, Oct 13, 2005
  6. On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
    > maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
    > this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
    > You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
    > NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

    Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
    value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Oct 14, 2005
  7. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
    >> maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
    >> this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
    >> You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
    >> NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

    > Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
    > value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5

    Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
    or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
    easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
    be best.

    The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    extension, and open it with your unzipping software.

    Lee

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 14, 2005
  8. will

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
    >>> maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
    >>> this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible
    >>> extension. You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired
    >>> extension, plus NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

    >> Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
    >> value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5
    >>

    > Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
    > or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
    > easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
    > be best.
    >
    > The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    > extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > Lee

    Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.

    gwtc, Oct 14, 2005
  9. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> John Thompson wrote:

    >>> Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the
    >>> MaxVersion value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5
    >>>

    >> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
    >> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
    >> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
    >> be best.
    >>
    >> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    >> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.

    Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 14, 2005
  10. will

    xModem Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:57:33 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    >gwtc wrote:

    >>> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
    >>> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
    >>> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
    >>> be best.
    >>>
    >>> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    >>> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.
    >>

    >Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

    If you open Winzip and drag/drop a misnamed Zip file on it, Winzip will open
    it.

    xModem, Oct 14, 2005
  11. will

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only
    >>> one or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is
    >>> probably easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your
    >>> thought may be best.
    >>>
    >>> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    >>> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.
    >>

    > Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?
    >
    > Lee

    WinZip 7.0 and PKZip 2.60.03

    gwtc, Oct 14, 2005
  12. xModem wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:57:33 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.
    >>>

    >> Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

    > If you open Winzip and drag/drop a misnamed Zip file on it, Winzip will open
    > it.

    Yeah, 7zip will do that. Seems to me it didn't used to, but that was
    likely an old version. I am glad to stand corrected!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 15, 2005
  13. On 2005-10-14, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
    >>> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
    >>> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
    >>> be best.
    >>>
    >>> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
    >>> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.
    >>

    > Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

    InfoZip's "unzip" doesn't care about the extension.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Oct 15, 2005