Browser Randomly Executing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cmbmeb1@gmail.com, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    This is a VERY annoying issue, occuring to me as I type this. I'll try
    to make this quick, to save you time and to not have to deal with this
    problem while typing.

    I have a notebook (ABS Mayhem G3) that has this annoying problem- the
    default web browser (be it IE6.0, Firefox, Opera...) constantly reloads
    itself randomly while I'm using it. I can go months at a time with it
    not affecting me, but some days it comes with a vengeance, doing this
    execute-1000023403483-browsers thing.

    This has been occuring since day 1 of owning this PC. I don't want to
    send it in because the folks who will "fix" it will not only wipe my
    HD, but will take 4-8 weeks to do so. Ugh. I've been running trojan
    and antispyware like mad trying to isolate this issue, and even
    employed HijackThis to see if there's some rogue application trying to
    corrupt my browser.

    Randomly, when surfing, typing, whatever... my browser will just
    execute itself many, many times. With opera, it comes in the form of
    reloading my homepage 60 times (estimated) or opening 100 windows of
    Opera. My record so far is 283 windows. Sometimes when trying to
    close out of them all, I get some random error involving "Make sure
    there are not multiple users using Opera" or something to that effect.

    I once had to RMA some memory for being bad. Although the other memory
    chip is fine, I wonder if it's a hardware short causing my issue.
    Perhaps it's a trojan, spyware, malware, whatever. I was told to
    re-install Windows, but realistically, by the time I tracked down all
    my old program CDs and whatnot, it'd be faster to send it in to the
    manufacturer :p.

    I'd like to know if this is, or has, occured with anyone else, and
    potential sources of this problem. It's driving me nuts!

    Thanks a bunch :D
    -Chris

    , Jul 6, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    > I'd like to know if this is, or has, occured with anyone else, and
    > potential sources of this problem. It's driving me nuts!

    It sounds like malware has infected the machine. Have you tried an AV NG
    and sought help there?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2006

  3. kur1 Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > > I'd like to know if this is, or has, occured with anyone else, and
    > > potential sources of this problem. It's driving me nuts!
    > >

    > It sounds like malware has infected the machine. Have you tried an AV NG
    > and sought help there?
    >
    > Duane :)

    AV NG? Is that some kind of antivirus software? I've tried a couple
    of utilties, but keep in mind, this stuff's been occuring since before
    I ever connected this baby to the 'net.

    I'll give another virus scan a try, however :)

    -Chris

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  4. kur1 Guest

    So, I'm at the point of finding out if it's:
    a) Malware
    b) Hardware
    c) Neither

    Right now, I'd love to lean towards a. My guess, giving the previous
    bad RAM stick, is it would probably be b.

    If it's indeed something wrong with the buttons, it's nothing I can
    check myself without potentially popping it off permanently. The
    problematic buttons would be one of these 1-touch mail, internet,
    wireless buttons above the notebook keyboard.

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  5. Duane Arnold Guest

    kur1 wrote:
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >>>I'd like to know if this is, or has, occured with anyone else, and
    >>>potential sources of this problem. It's driving me nuts!
    >>>

    >>It sounds like malware has infected the machine. Have you tried an AV NG
    >>and sought help there?
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > AV NG? Is that some kind of antivirus software? I've tried a couple
    > of utilties, but keep in mind, this stuff's been occuring since before
    > I ever connected this baby to the 'net.
    >
    > I'll give another virus scan a try, however :)
    >
    > -Chris

    alt.comp-antivirus NG = newsgroup or other such NG(s) where they can
    help you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2006
  6. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-06, kur1 <> wrote:
    > So, I'm at the point of finding out if it's:
    > a) Malware
    > b) Hardware
    > c) Neither
    >
    > Right now, I'd love to lean towards a. My guess, giving the previous
    > bad RAM stick, is it would probably be b.
    >
    > If it's indeed something wrong with the buttons, it's nothing I can
    > check myself without potentially popping it off permanently. The
    > problematic buttons would be one of these 1-touch mail, internet,
    > wireless buttons above the notebook keyboard.

    Does the laptop have a touchpad located between you and the keyboard?
    Errant 'mouse movements and clicks' caused by hands moving close to the
    touchpad while typing can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. If
    there is no 'off switch' or 'hotkey' to disable the touchpad, try covering
    it with a piece of stiff card while you are typing.

    If you know the name and address of the so-and-so who decreed that there
    shuold be a touchpad where the keyboard belongs on almost every laptop,
    please tell the world; there's a come-uppance to be delivered.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2006
  7. kur1 Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-07-06, kur1 <> wrote:
    > > So, I'm at the point of finding out if it's:
    > > a) Malware
    > > b) Hardware
    > > c) Neither
    > >
    > > Right now, I'd love to lean towards a. My guess, giving the previous
    > > bad RAM stick, is it would probably be b.
    > >
    > > If it's indeed something wrong with the buttons, it's nothing I can
    > > check myself without potentially popping it off permanently. The
    > > problematic buttons would be one of these 1-touch mail, internet,
    > > wireless buttons above the notebook keyboard.

    > Does the laptop have a touchpad located between you and the keyboard?
    > Errant 'mouse movements and clicks' caused by hands moving close to the
    > touchpad while typing can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. If
    > there is no 'off switch' or 'hotkey' to disable the touchpad, try covering
    > it with a piece of stiff card while you are typing.
    >
    > If you know the name and address of the so-and-so who decreed that there
    > shuold be a touchpad where the keyboard belongs on almost every laptop,
    > please tell the world; there's a come-uppance to be delivered.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Ran virusscan, nothing popped up.

    Ran adware removal tools, nothing came up.

    Scanned with Windows Defender, nothing came up.

    At this point, it's hardware or the problem Whiskers illustrated. I do
    actually keep my thumb rested a lot on the mouse while just idling on
    my PC. This could very well be the case, and I never figured it'd do
    that ;)

    I'll let you know the results... I think there's a way for me to
    hot-swap the touchpad on/off setting.

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  8. John Holmes Guest

    kur1 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-07-06, kur1 <> wrote:
    >> > So, I'm at the point of finding out if it's:
    >> > a) Malware
    >> > b) Hardware
    >> > c) Neither
    >> >
    >> > Right now, I'd love to lean towards a. My guess, giving the
    >> > previous bad RAM stick, is it would probably be b.
    >> >
    >> > If it's indeed something wrong with the buttons, it's nothing I can
    >> > check myself without potentially popping it off permanently. The
    >> > problematic buttons would be one of these 1-touch mail, internet,
    >> > wireless buttons above the notebook keyboard.

    >> Does the laptop have a touchpad located between you and the keyboard?
    >> Errant 'mouse movements and clicks' caused by hands moving close to
    >> the touchpad while typing can cause all sorts of weird things to
    >> happen. If there is no 'off switch' or 'hotkey' to disable the
    >> touchpad, try covering it with a piece of stiff card while you are
    >> typing.
    >>
    >> If you know the name and address of the so-and-so who decreed that
    >> there shuold be a touchpad where the keyboard belongs on almost every
    >> laptop, please tell the world; there's a come-uppance to be
    >> delivered.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >> -- Whiskers
    >> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    > Ran virusscan, nothing popped up.
    >
    > Ran adware removal tools, nothing came up.
    >
    > Scanned with Windows Defender, nothing came up.
    >
    > At this point, it's hardware or the problem Whiskers illustrated. I
    > do actually keep my thumb rested a lot on the mouse while just idling
    > on my PC. This could very well be the case, and I never figured it'd
    > do that ;)
    >
    > I'll let you know the results... I think there's a way for me to
    > hot-swap the touchpad on/off setting.

    You can rest your tumb at the touchpad without problems if you quit the
    booze. Your hands will stop trembling.

    --
    Your mother was a touchy pickpocket who ran a successful dating agency in
    shopping malls.

    John Holmes, Jul 6, 2006
  9. Duane Arnold Guest

    **** you, go find someone and stop posting to me you cross posting
    fucked-up *bitch*, like I don't know who you are you ass-hole.

    Why else would you be here posting to me like you are you crazy
    fucked-up *ho* and you know I know who you are Hen.

    You need to get your own little fucked-up life together before you start
    passing judgment on others, because you're posting just a tad bit too
    much and that's 24/365 out here on the Internet with the computer your
    lover firmly planted up your addicted ass, like you know what the ****
    you're talking about.

    Whatever I am doing, it's better that that Moby Dick dildo you're
    sucking and riding on.

    It's time to killfile your ass once again

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  10. Duane Arnold Guest

    <correction you *ho>

    Whatever I am doing, it's better than that Moby Dick dildo you're
    sucking and riding on.

    <correction>

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  11. Duane Arnold Guest

    Whatever you're *bitching* and whining about now, **** you.

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  12. Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Desperately need some advice.... Social Phobia (help)

    Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET>, the pissing welfare bum
    and sturdy stick in the mud who likes undignified horizontal exercises
    with eels, and whose partner is a ten-o'clock girl with a wide biffen,

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  13. Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it wrote:
    > Whatever you're *bitching* and whining about now, **** you.

    Not a chance, you imbecile. Better the human race should die off than
    allow you to breed.

    <shakes head> Wherever did you find this guy, KMan?

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 7, 2006
  14. Guest

    Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > Aren't you the loopy soc.man who believes that if women wore more
    > conservative clothing, we wouldn't get raped?

    Sure, I hope you are showing respect because if you dress like a slut
    you'll get treated like a slut.

    What's "loopy" is women continuing to dress themselves as cheap slut
    sex whores which is disrespectful not only to themselves but more
    importantly to men who want women to use their brains to attract rather
    than their slutty attitudes.

    , Jul 7, 2006
  15. wrote:
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Aren't you the loopy soc.man who believes that if women wore more
    >> conservative clothing, we wouldn't get raped?
    >>

    > Sure, I hope you are showing respect because if you dress like a slut
    > you'll get treated like a slut.
    >
    > What's "loopy" is women continuing to dress themselves as cheap slut
    > sex whores which is disrespectful not only to themselves but more
    > importantly to men who want women to use their brains to attract
    > rather than their slutty attitudes.

    Seriously, I don't have time for you.

    But you have issues, and you should get help. ASAP.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 7, 2006
  16. Connor's Mum Guest

    <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Aren't you the loopy soc.man who believes that if women wore more
    >> conservative clothing, we wouldn't get raped?
    >>

    > Sure, I hope you are showing respect because if you dress like a slut
    > you'll get treated like a slut.
    >
    > What's "loopy" is women continuing to dress themselves as cheap slut
    > sex whores which is disrespectful not only to themselves but more
    > importantly to men who want women to use their brains to attract
    > rather than their slutty attitudes.

    I should have had you aborted. Another half inch I could have shat you out.

    Connor's Mum, Jul 7, 2006
  17. Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: K-Hen the Internet addicted *ho* and you know it to be so,(**** you)!

    You can kiss Duane Arnold's ass with your tongue hanging out and ****
    you, you fucked-up Moby Dick's *ho*. I know there are plenty of Moby
    Dick and its *ho* sequels you have been in or will *star* in out of the
    24/365. When you disappear off the Internet for a minute or two out of
    the day and that's just not enough to be a healthy *love* with your
    lover, it's Moby Dick's time for you *ho*.

    As Elvis would say ***** you **** you very much.*

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  18. Guest

    Connor's Mum wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > <>...
    >

    > I should have had you aborted. Another half inch I could have shat you out.

    I AM a survived abortion, fucknuckles!

    , Jul 7, 2006
  19. Guest

    Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:

    > Seriously, I don't have time for you.

    I couldnt give a flyin **** about what you say, debate the issues,
    girl.

    > But you have issues, and you should get help. ASAP.

    So I take it you dress as a cheap slut whore and expect me to treat you
    with respect and equality.

    , Jul 7, 2006
  20. wrote:
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >>
    >> Seriously, I don't have time for you.
    >>

    > I couldnt give a flyin **** about what you say, debate the issues,
    > girl.
    >
    >> But you have issues, and you should get help. ASAP.
    >>

    > So I take it you dress as a cheap slut whore and expect me to treat
    > you with respect and equality.

    I think you missed my earlier post, even though you replied to it,
    Connor.

    At the tender age of 13, dressed in peasant blouse and loose-fitting
    jeans, I was raped anyway.

    Shall I say it again?

    As for how I dress, I'm a professional, so I dress like a professional,
    in a suit.

    But here's a clue for you: I used to skydive, and I spent every weekend
    at the dropzone wearing very little at all. It's hot, it's sweaty, and
    the less clothing one wears, the more comfortable one is. At times, I
    was running around in nothing more than short shorts and a lacy bra.

    The men made naughty jokes, they patted me, and hugged me. But not a one
    of them ever, ever, ever, touched me without my permission or made me
    feel uncomfortable about what I had on.

    The skydiving population is about 75% male, and women are highly valued
    in the sport, so the men protect us. And any men who fail in that do not
    last very long at all.

    Go to Afghanistan, Connor. The women dress appropriately, as you define
    it, and with a little luck, the next time you give into your baser
    instincts, we might be lucky enough that someone will cut your balls
    off.

    It's what I would do.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 7, 2006