Browser IP retrieval problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JJ, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    XP SP2 on Dell desktop

    This is a friend's machine who lives out of state. I spent several
    hours on it Sunday (day before yesterday) using VNC (remote sftw) to
    update XP and run virus scanners. She was clean and good to go.

    At the last minute I installed LogMeIn Free sftw to her computer
    (again using VNC) because it seemed more convenient to use than VNC.
    The trial Pro version installed.

    I logged off VNC, and logged in to her computer using LogMeIn and
    finished a few tasks. Then I took LogMeIn out of her startup and shut
    down the computer, so that the next time she booted, LogMeIn services
    would not be running, as I only wanted her to start that service when
    I would be getting on.

    The next day when she booted, she had no wallpaper and the computer
    was "really slow" ... which sounded to me like she was logged into LMI
    somehow, operating her computer through the remote interface. SHe
    might have opened her browser (FFox) and it might have opened to the
    LMI login, I don't know. She is not computer literate so I can't tell
    exactly what happened. But her browser was taking forever to respond
    to anything, even once we had her wallpaper back up, and LMI seemed to
    be stopped.

    So I had her uninstall LMI, b/c we couldn't seem to get back to a
    normal operating mode. But the problem has remained. It takes a few
    minutes for the browser to find the IP address, and even then, when
    she clicks on Google, it takes 20 secs or so before the page pops into
    view. It's like it takes forever to find it, then once it does, it
    loads quickly. I tried repairing the LAN connection and resetting the
    modem. Made no diff. (Another PC in the house is surfing fine, so it's
    not the local ISP.)

    So I used VNC to log back into her computer and scan the reg for LMI
    data and keys left over, and found 29, which I deleted. Rebooted. Made
    no difference.

    I called LMI's 800 number, and the tech suggested I try "Winsock XP
    Fix" in case LMI corrupted the winsock. It didn't work and now I have
    the following Runtime error:

    MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
    runtime error!
    Program: C:\...
    This application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    manner. Please contact the application support team for more info.

    Does anyone know how I can get her browser problem fixed? Same thing
    happens in Explorer, btw, but email (TBird) opens and collects mail
    fine.

    Thanks for any suggestions. (I have also posted this to a support
    forum at LMI, but it doesn't look very busy.)

    JJ, Jan 27, 2009

  2. JJ

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:53:07 -0800, JJ <> wrote:

    >So I had her uninstall LMI, b/c we couldn't seem to get back to a
    >normal operating mode. But the problem has remained. It takes a few
    >minutes for the browser to find the IP address, and even then, when
    >she clicks on Google, it takes 20 secs or so before the page pops into
    >view. It's like it takes forever to find it, then once it does, it
    >loads quickly. I tried repairing the LAN connection and resetting the
    >modem. Made no diff. (Another PC in the house is surfing fine, so it's
    >not the local ISP.)

    Wired or wireless connection?

    How long do nslookups take?

    Ping results to the default gateway?

    ping results to another host on the LAN?

    ping results to a public site, such as google?

    Evan Platt, Jan 28, 2009

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:12:52 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:53:07 -0800, JJ <> wrote:
    >
    >>So I had her uninstall LMI, b/c we couldn't seem to get back to a
    >>normal operating mode. But the problem has remained. It takes a few
    >>minutes for the browser to find the IP address, and even then, when
    >>she clicks on Google, it takes 20 secs or so before the page pops into
    >>view. It's like it takes forever to find it, then once it does, it
    >>loads quickly. I tried repairing the LAN connection and resetting the
    >>modem. Made no diff. (Another PC in the house is surfing fine, so it's
    >>not the local ISP.)

    >Wired or wireless connection?

    Wired.

    >How long do nslookups take?

    don;'t know what a nslookup is, but when she hit the google icon
    instead of coming up in a second or so, it took 20. Same with other
    sites.

    >Ping results to the default gateway?
    >
    >ping results to another host on the LAN?
    >
    >ping results to a public site, such as google?

    Didn't try pinging. Didn't think of it. (I'm not a network person, or
    I would have.)

    And now I can't try that because her computer won't let VNC connect
    now.

    We thought we had found the problem when I told her to shut down Zone
    Alarm Pro and she could suddenly surf fine again. So I had her take
    it out of her startup and reboot and it was still all ok.... BUT NOT
    END OF STORY.

    So I was going to take a look around, and tried to connect with VNC
    but it's like it doesn't see her IP at all. (And I've been using this
    with her computer for a year... plus I know it was the right IP cause
    I had her double-check.)

    Then just as we hung up the phone, giving up for the nigt, she
    rebooted one more time, (without ZAP again), and has the same original
    problem of her browser searching for an IP! Argh.... so I don't know
    what the heck is going on.

    JJ, Jan 28, 2009
  4. JJ

    JJ Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:44:12 -0600, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-27, JJ <> wrote:
    >> XP SP2 on Dell desktop

    >Latest updates from M$< SP3?

    The latest (including all patches available today as of 2pm) MINUS
    SP3. (I won't load SP3... too many problems reported by too many
    people.)

    >> MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >> runtime error!
    >> Program: C:\...
    >> This application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    >> manner. Please contact the application support team for more info.

    The Runtime error went away anyway....

    JJ, Jan 28, 2009
  5. JJ

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:22:37 -0800, JJ <> wrote:

    >>How long do nslookups take?

    >don;'t know what a nslookup is, but when she hit the google icon
    >instead of coming up in a second or so, it took 20. Same with other
    >sites.

    Tells you nothing.

    Start, Run, Command.

    nslookup www.google.com

    Try a few other sites, see how long it takes.

    Evan Platt, Jan 28, 2009
  6. JJ

    JJ Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:43:41 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:22:37 -0800, JJ <> wrote:
    >
    >>>How long do nslookups take?

    >>don;'t know what a nslookup is, but when she hit the google icon
    >>instead of coming up in a second or so, it took 20. Same with other
    >>sites.

    >Tells you nothing.
    >
    >Start, Run, Command.
    >
    >nslookup www.google.com
    >
    >Try a few other sites, see how long it takes.

    Thank you vry much. I will do this tomorrow and report back.

    JJ, Jan 28, 2009
  7. JJ

    JJ Guest

    FTR the problem was that LogMeIn corrupted something on the computer
    and also did not play well with Zone Alarm Pro 7x. I am not talking
    about a ZAP config problem. LogMeIn worked fine with ZAP running. But
    later when LogMeIn seemed to be causing a lot of weirdness and we
    uninstalled it, ZAP then behaved weird and needed the
    uninstall/reinstall.

    The fix was ultimately uninstalling ZAP (i.e. the entire rigamarole of
    not just uninstalling, but searching for all the leftover files and
    reg keys and deleting those too), then reboot/reinstall of ZAP. (And
    of course no LogMeIn.)

    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

    JJ, Jan 29, 2009