    the Domain Master Browser?

    Does anyone else have any idea what might be causing this and how to
    fix it?

    Russell Stamper, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Russell Stamper

    AnyBody43 Guest

    (Russell Stamper) wrote
    > They are setup as VLan subnets.
    >
    > All of the browser information, in some of the subnets, are not being
    > sent to the Domain Master Browser.
    >
    > If I physicaly go to the subnet and look at the network I can see all
    > the missing computers in that subnet.This means that the master
    > browser for that subnet is working.
    >
    > I can see all the computers in the WINS server database. This means
    > that the netbios information is being sent to the WINS server.
    >
    > Does anyone else have any idea what might be causing this and how to
    > fix it?

    You need to understand Windows name resolution.
    I have never met anyone who does, and I don't either.

    There are several methods used:-

    DNS - W2k and later
    Wins - a bit before than
    Browsers [broadcasts with added bits] - even earlier
    Pure broadcasts - Mark one method

    Wins and Master browsers belong in different systems, though
    they may be able to interact. I don't know.

    Unless you have really old kit or (W2k or later) the thing to do
    is probably;

    Configure a Wins server (or two).
    Use DHCP, include the adderss of your wins server (or two).
    Done.

    Plan B.
    Use LM hosts file on each workstation to point to your (few?)
    servers. Hmmm what about printers.

    Plan C
    Get rid of the subnets - poof she goes - good old Bill.

    Plan D use IPX.

    AnyBody43, Oct 12, 2004