    in my browser. I have spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy,
    adaware, and browser hijack blaster. I've turned off my restore points
    and ran ccleaner, adaware, and spybot. How can I find this thing?

    George, Jun 3, 2007

  2. George

    Guest

    "George" <> wrote:

    >I guess I need some help. I use internet explorer and have google as my
    >homepage. I am connected full time. When I open my browser, and start
    >typing something in the search pane, a random page opens. Its a
    >different page everytime. A new page opens everytime there is a change
    >in my browser. I have spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy,
    >adaware, and browser hijack blaster. I've turned off my restore points
    >and ran ccleaner, adaware, and spybot. How can I find this thing?

    Download and run this file
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/Merijn/HijackThis.zip
    It will create a log that you can paste here:
    http://hijackthis.de/en

    Check out the results and have Hijackthis remove any BHO's

    --

    http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

    , Jun 3, 2007

  3. George

    GHalleck Guest

    George wrote:

    > I guess I need some help. I use internet explorer and have google as my
    > homepage. I am connected full time. When I open my browser, and start
    > typing something in the search pane, a random page opens. Its a
    > different page everytime. A new page opens everytime there is a change
    > in my browser. I have spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy,
    > adaware, and browser hijack blaster. I've turned off my restore points
    > and ran ccleaner, adaware, and spybot. How can I find this thing?

    Unless I missed it but don't see a firewall in the list. And not
    just the Microsoft Windows XP firewall but a real one that blocks
    outgoing transmissions. Lock down the system and check off what is
    trying to send out. The firewall log is a good complement to working
    with HiJackThis.

    GHalleck, Jun 3, 2007
  4. George

    George Guest

    GHalleck wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I need some help. I use internet explorer and have google
    >> as my homepage. I am connected full time. When I open my browser,
    >> and start typing something in the search pane, a random page opens.
    >> Its a different page everytime. A new page opens everytime there is
    >> a change in my browser. I have spyware blaster, spybot search and
    >> destroy, adaware, and browser hijack blaster. I've turned off my
    >> restore points and ran ccleaner, adaware, and spybot. How can I
    >> find this thing?
    >>

    > Unless I missed it but don't see a firewall in the list. And not
    > just the Microsoft Windows XP firewall but a real one that blocks
    > outgoing transmissions. Lock down the system and check off what is
    > trying to send out. The firewall log is a good complement to working
    > with HiJackThis.

    I can't find where to turn on the firewall. It is so bad now that IE
    won't open. My homepage is being changed to a little square and when I
    try to change it back, it only stays for about ten seconds. Also where
    is the firewall log?

    George, Jun 3, 2007
  5. George

    Daave Guest

    George wrote:
    > GHalleck wrote:
    >> George wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess I need some help. I use internet explorer and have google
    >>> as my homepage. I am connected full time. When I open my browser,
    >>> and start typing something in the search pane, a random page opens.
    >>> Its a different page everytime. A new page opens everytime there is
    >>> a change in my browser. I have spyware blaster, spybot search and
    >>> destroy, adaware, and browser hijack blaster. I've turned off my
    >>> restore points and ran ccleaner, adaware, and spybot. How can I
    >>> find this thing?
    >>>

    >> Unless I missed it but don't see a firewall in the list. And not
    >> just the Microsoft Windows XP firewall but a real one that blocks
    >> outgoing transmissions. Lock down the system and check off what is
    >> trying to send out. The firewall log is a good complement to working
    >> with HiJackThis.

    > I can't find where to turn on the firewall. It is so bad now that IE
    > won't open. My homepage is being changed to a little square and when
    > I try to change it back, it only stays for about ten seconds. Also
    > where is the firewall log?

    You haven't indicated that you have a firewall other than the Microsoft
    Windows XP one (which only blocks incoming traffic, not outgoing).
    Assuming you don't have a firewall, you may install Comodo, which is a
    decent free firewall:

    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

    Also, I second Pennywise's suggestion of running HijackThis.

    Daave, Jun 3, 2007
  6. George

    George Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >> GHalleck wrote:

    >>> Unless I missed it but don't see a firewall in the list. And not
    >>> just the Microsoft Windows XP firewall but a real one that blocks
    >>> outgoing transmissions. Lock down the system and check off what is
    >>> trying to send out. The firewall log is a good complement to working
    >>> with HiJackThis.

    >> I can't find where to turn on the firewall. It is so bad now that IE
    >> won't open. My homepage is being changed to a little square and when
    >> I try to change it back, it only stays for about ten seconds. Also
    >> where is the firewall log?

    > You haven't indicated that you have a firewall other than the
    > Microsoft Windows XP one (which only blocks incoming traffic, not
    > outgoing). Assuming you don't have a firewall, you may install
    > Comodo, which is a decent free firewall:
    >
    > http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >
    > Also, I second Pennywise's suggestion of running HijackThis.

    I've installed the firewall plus from pctools. I'm way too much of a
    novice. I have to give permission for every step that used to be
    automatic. This would be a good thing if I knew what I was giving
    permission for. I ran hjt and it showed no BHOs. I've been at it for 3
    days now, and my browser is still hijacked.

    George, Jun 4, 2007
  7. George

    Daave Guest

    George wrote:
    > Daave wrote:
    >> George wrote:

    >>> I can't find where to turn on the firewall. It is so bad now that
    >>> IE won't open. My homepage is being changed to a little square and
    >>> when I try to change it back, it only stays for about ten seconds.
    >>> Also where is the firewall log?

    >> You haven't indicated that you have a firewall other than the
    >> Microsoft Windows XP one (which only blocks incoming traffic, not
    >> outgoing). Assuming you don't have a firewall, you may install
    >> Comodo, which is a decent free firewall:
    >>
    >> http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >>
    >> Also, I second Pennywise's suggestion of running HijackThis.

    > I've installed the firewall plus from pctools. I'm way too much of a
    > novice. I have to give permission for every step that used to be
    > automatic. This would be a good thing if I knew what I was giving
    > permission for. I ran hjt and it showed no BHOs. I've been at it
    > for 3 days now, and my browser is still hijacked.

    You need to post the log to an appropriate forum. See:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/forums.php

    Here are some other helpful liks:

    http://www.geocities.com/genious_2k1/xp-tips.html

    Daave, Jun 5, 2007
  8. George

    George Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >> Daave wrote:

    >>> You haven't indicated that you have a firewall other than the
    >>> Microsoft Windows XP one (which only blocks incoming traffic, not
    >>> outgoing). Assuming you don't have a firewall, you may install
    >>> Comodo, which is a decent free firewall:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    >>>
    >>> Also, I second Pennywise's suggestion of running HijackThis.

    >> I've installed the firewall plus from pctools. I'm way too much of a
    >> novice. I have to give permission for every step that used to be
    >> automatic. This would be a good thing if I knew what I was giving
    >> permission for. I ran hjt and it showed no BHOs. I've been at it
    >> for 3 days now, and my browser is still hijacked.

    > You need to post the log to an appropriate forum. See:
    >
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/forums.php
    >
    > Here are some other helpful liks:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/genious_2k1/xp-tips.html
    >
    > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    After only 4 days its finally fixed. I've ran so many different
    programs I can't count them. Last night it was so bad that I could no
    longer open the browser. My registry had the homepage and search hook
    lines removed. I even tried a repair of winxp but that did nothing. I
    searched with a second computer for a dll called sstqn. I stumbled on a
    page that another guy was having troubles trying to delete the thing. I
    downloaded a small program called vundo.exe on to a floppy and then put
    it on my desktop. Done in 5 minutes! Different programs could find it
    but this is the only one that fixed it. Thanks to everyone who tried to
    help.

    George, Jun 5, 2007
  9. George

    Daave Guest

    George wrote:
    > Daave wrote:
    >> George wrote:

    >>> I've installed the firewall plus from pctools. I'm way too much of
    >>> a novice. I have to give permission for every step that used to be
    >>> automatic. This would be a good thing if I knew what I was giving
    >>> permission for. I ran hjt and it showed no BHOs. I've been at it
    >>> for 3 days now, and my browser is still hijacked.

    >> You need to post the log to an appropriate forum. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/forums.php
    >>
    >> Here are some other helpful liks:
    >>
    >> http://www.geocities.com/genious_2k1/xp-tips.html
    >>
    >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    > After only 4 days its finally fixed. I've ran so many different
    > programs I can't count them. Last night it was so bad that I could no
    > longer open the browser. My registry had the homepage and search hook
    > lines removed. I even tried a repair of winxp but that did nothing.
    > I searched with a second computer for a dll called sstqn. I stumbled
    > on a page that another guy was having troubles trying to delete the
    > thing. I downloaded a small program called vundo.exe on to a floppy
    > and then put it on my desktop. Done in 5 minutes! Different
    > programs could find it but this is the only one that fixed it.
    > Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

    I sure hope that was vundoFIX.exe!

    Daave, Jun 5, 2007
  10. George

    George Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >> Daave wrote:

    >>> You need to post the log to an appropriate forum. See:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/forums.php
    >>>
    >>> Here are some other helpful liks:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/genious_2k1/xp-tips.html
    >>>
    >>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    >> After only 4 days its finally fixed. I've ran so many different
    >> programs I can't count them. Last night it was so bad that I could
    >> no longer open the browser. My registry had the homepage and search
    >> hook lines removed. I even tried a repair of winxp but that did
    >> nothing. I searched with a second computer for a dll called sstqn.
    >> I stumbled on a page that another guy was having troubles trying to
    >> delete the thing. I downloaded a small program called vundo.exe on
    >> to a floppy and then put it on my desktop. Done in 5 minutes!
    >> Different programs could find it but this is the only one that fixed
    >> it.
    >> Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

    > I sure hope that was vundoFIX.exe!

    OOPS! My inexperience continues to shine through.

    George, Jun 6, 2007