Browser Hijack?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
    Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it is
    relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.

    When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
    SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to MSN.
    I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
    Secretmaker.

    So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
    Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the first
    two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to find
    hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
    automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
    think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG.. but
    I really don't know what to look for there

    I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but can't
    find it. Any help appreciated..

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006

  2. WeeWilly

    old jon Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
    > Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it
    > is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.
    >
    > When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
    > SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to
    > MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
    > Secretmaker.
    >
    > So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
    > Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the
    > first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to
    > find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
    > automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
    > think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG..
    > but I really don't know what to look for there
    >
    > I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
    > can't find it. Any help appreciated..
    >
    > Bill

    D\load and install HijackThis from here Bill.
    It`ll stand you in good stead in the future.
    Winpatrol is just warning you that MSN wants to be your
    home page. Just keep saying No.

    -- bw..OJ

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Mar 6, 2006

  3. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    > D\load and install HijackThis from here Bill.
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    > It`ll stand you in good stead in the future.
    > Winpatrol is just warning you that MSN wants to be your
    > home page. Just keep saying No.
    >
    > -- bw..OJ

    Thanks, OJ.. for both your constant help and your civility on this forum.

    I tried your suggestion.. I did find a couple of yahoo toolbars that I
    removed.. but, I couldn't find anything that related to the MSN browser..
    more specifically.. it seems to want to change to msnallinone.asp..

    It's a bit frustrating to have to say this each time I run Noadaware.. this
    is usually when it happens.. and the browser listed in that utility is, in
    fact.. google. Then WinPatrol picks it up as well as Secretmaker. Sheeesh.
    I also looked at the startup in a variety of ways.. and couldn't find the
    conflict.. I really am green at this.. so, hopefully it can be pinpointed.

    Thanks again, Bill

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006
  4. WeeWilly

    Donald Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
    > Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it
    > is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.
    >
    > When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
    > SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to
    > MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
    > Secretmaker.
    >
    > So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
    > Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the
    > first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to
    > find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
    > automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
    > think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG..
    > but I really don't know what to look for there
    >
    > I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
    > can't find it. Any help appreciated..
    >
    > Bill

    Use you spybot to keep the home page you want

    Donald, Mar 6, 2006
  5. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
    can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
    this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.

    I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
    found by these programs.

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006
  6. WeeWilly

    Trax Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote:

    |>> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want
    |>>

    |>Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
    |>can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
    |>this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
    |>
    |>I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
    |>found by these programs.

    Spybot comes with a utility called TeaTimer that sits in the systray
    and warns of any changed to the registry or other important areas
    (homepage) - very handy to have running.

    Might act like "Secretmaker", I've never used it so I don't know.

    --
    http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html

    Trax, Mar 6, 2006
  7. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks.. I found it..

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006
  8. WeeWilly

    Donald Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D and
    > can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help me do
    > this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
    >
    > I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that might be
    > found by these programs.
    >

    >> Use you spybot to keep the home page you want

    open spybot click mode advanced /tools click resident

    Donald, Mar 6, 2006
  9. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks for the help.. found it

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006
  10. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks for your help.. found it..

    WeeWilly, Mar 6, 2006
  11. WeeWilly

    Daave Guest

    WeeWilly wrote:
    > I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know
    > of Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time,
    > but it is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4,
    > XP w/SP2.
    >
    > When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol
    > that SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from
    > Google to MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get
    > the notice with Secretmaker.
    >
    > So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner,
    > . Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that
    > the first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's
    > supposed to find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have
    > NOAdaware to start automatically, and it is the latest software I've
    > installed.. so, I don't think that's the problem. I've also looked
    > at Start | Run | MSCONFIG.. but I really don't know what to look for
    > there
    >
    > I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
    > can't find it. Any help appreciated..

    You didn't mention if you ran Microsoft AntiSpyware. But in case you
    just forgot to mention it...

    Read this: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6594

    Excerpt: "Overall, Microsoft AntiSpyware, is a very good, solid piece of
    software. But it has one particularly disturbing feature -- in essence,
    it hijacks your home page, and so is guilty of doing the very thing it's
    supposed to be protecting you against. And, as you might guess, it
    hijacks your home page to -- surprise! -- MSN.com.

    How does it do this? In a devilishly simple and exceedingly misleading
    manner. When it detects that a hijacker is trying to reset your home
    page, it warns you and then asks whether you want to block the hijacker.
    When you answer yes, Microsoft AntiSpyware promptly blocks the hijacker.
    But it then does a hijack of its own and resets your home page to
    MSN.com.

    If you dig deep enough, you can defeat AntiSpyware's home page
    hijacking. Choose Advanced Tools-->Browser Hijack Restore, and highlight
    Start Page. Click "Change restore settings to a new URL," type in your
    normal home page, then click OK. From now on, when Microsoft blocks a
    home page hijacking, it will let you keep your own home page, and won't
    do a hijacking on its own."

    And FWIW, you might want to look at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320159/?sd=RMVP

    Dave

    Daave, Mar 6, 2006
  12. WeeWilly

    Daave Guest

    Then, WeeWilly wrote:

    > Donald, can you elaborate on your comment? I've looked at Spybot S&D
    > and can't find anything that has to do with a button that might help
    > me do this.. sorry of your comment is obvious and I'm just dense.
    >
    > I do regularly use S snd, and the others to check for items that
    > might be found by these programs.

    Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks > Lock IE start page setting
    against user changes (current user).

    (I'm assuming you're running IE.)

    HTH.

    Dave

    Daave, Mar 6, 2006
  13. WeeWilly

    Tony Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem that I can't find the answer to.. I don't know of
    > Hijack is the proper term here or not. I can't pinpoint the time, but it
    > is relatively recent. I have a relatively new PC w/Pentium 4, XP w/SP2.
    >
    > When I start up my computer, AT TIMES, I get a notice from WinPatrol that
    > SOMETHING has caused a request to switch my browser page from Google to
    > MSN. I reject this and it seems OK from there. I also get the notice with
    > Secretmaker.
    >
    > So, I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG antivirus, Diskeeper, CCleaner, .
    > Nothing shows up. I also bought NOadaware and it found stuff that the
    > first two didn't find.. but, it didn't solve my problem.. it's supposed to
    > find hijackers as I understand it. I don't have NOAdaware to start
    > automatically, and it is the latest software I've installed.. so, I don't
    > think that's the problem. I've also looked at Start | Run | MSCONFIG..
    > but I really don't know what to look for there
    >
    > I've done everything I know to find where the conflict might be.. but
    > can't find it. Any help appreciated..
    >
    > Bill

    BHODemon from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html will tell you what
    browser helper objects are running and you can delete any that shouldn't be
    there from both registry and the file folder.

    Tony, Mar 7, 2006
  14. On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:31:39 GMT, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >Read this: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6594

    heh Spybot warned me so I blocked the hijack.

    swill
    --
    if they don't get something, then it's my fucking English, not their
    fucking stupidity -- progea AKA Radio Yereven

    Governor Swill, Mar 8, 2006