Browser Hijack... Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Watcher111, May 5, 2005.

  1. Watcher111

    Watcher111 Guest

    Greetings One and All,

    My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
    get hi-jacked.

    The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
    Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
    no information there to uninstall the malware.

    She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.

    On an HP Pavillion A305W
    Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    256 megs ram
    40 gig HD

    I have tried the following.....

    Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    Adaware SE
    Windows Registry Repair Pro
    Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
    I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
    rd wintools

    Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
    that came with her computer
    Watcher111, May 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Watcher111

    pcbutts1 Guest

    All updates have not been run if she is at SP1. Get SP2 and then download
    HijackThis, run it and copy and paste the log file back to this group for
    analysis. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    --


    The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



    "Watcher111" <> wrote in message
    news:3_eee.15809$yV4.7527@okepread03...
    > Greetings One and All,
    >
    > My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her
    > browser get hi-jacked.
    >
    > The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the
    > "Uninstall Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com
    > and there is no information there to uninstall the malware.
    >
    > She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.
    >
    > On an HP Pavillion A305W
    > Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    > 256 megs ram
    > 40 gig HD
    >
    > I have tried the following.....
    >
    > Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    > Adaware SE
    > Windows Registry Repair Pro
    > Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic
    > Pro
    > I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.*
    > and rd wintools
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install
    > disks that came with her computer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    pcbutts1, May 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Watcher111 wrote:
    > Greetings One and All,
    >
    > My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
    > get hi-jacked.
    >
    > The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
    > Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
    > no information there to uninstall the malware.
    >
    > She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.
    >
    > On an HP Pavillion A305W
    > Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    > 256 megs ram
    > 40 gig HD
    >
    > I have tried the following.....
    >
    > Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    > Adaware SE
    > Windows Registry Repair Pro
    > Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
    > I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
    > rd wintools
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
    > that came with her computer


    I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.
    Did you intentionally make every mistake you've made on a computer?
    Anyway, look at:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t46778.html
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005
    #3
  4. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Watcher111 wrote:
    >> Greetings One and All,


    >> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
    >> get hi-jacked.


    >> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
    >> Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
    >> no information there to uninstall the malware.


    >> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.


    >> On an HP Pavillion A305W
    >> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    >> 256 megs ram
    >> 40 gig HD


    >> I have tried the following.....


    >> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    >> Adaware SE
    >> Windows Registry Repair Pro
    >> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
    >> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
    >> rd wintools


    >> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
    >> that came with her computer


    > I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.


    Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2005
    #4
  5. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

    >
    >
    > Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".


    He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
    rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

    Not my place to referee a domestic squabble, just thought I'd throw in a
    little reality check.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005
    #5
  6. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >> Rôgêr wrote:


    >>>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.


    >> Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".


    > He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
    > rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?


    I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2005
    #6
  7. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>Rôgêr wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

    >
    >
    >>>Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

    >
    >
    >>He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
    >>rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

    >
    >
    > I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.


    Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005
    #7
  8. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:


    >>>Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >>>>Rôgêr wrote:


    >>>>>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be
    >>>>>hijacked.


    >>>>Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".


    >>>He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone
    >>>was rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?


    >> I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.


    > Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?


    Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with total
    strangers.

    Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
    sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
    right out and say it. :)

    Besides, he knows her better than either of us. If he thinks she's
    slow/careless/whatever, he's probably right.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2005
    #8
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:


    >>Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?

    >
    >
    > Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with total
    > strangers.
    >
    > Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
    > sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
    > right out and say it. :)


    Between us we have an even half dozen wives.
    --
    Once for money, once for love and once to remind him why he should never
    have married to begin with.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2005
    #9
  10. Watcher111

    Chilly Willy Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> was hangin' out in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk and figured 5 May 2005 02:37:02 GMT would be a
    good time to say:

    >Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Watcher111 wrote:
    >>> Greetings One and All,

    >
    >>> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
    >>> get hi-jacked.

    >
    >>> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
    >>> Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
    >>> no information there to uninstall the malware.

    >
    >>> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.

    >
    >>> On an HP Pavillion A305W
    >>> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    >>> 256 megs ram
    >>> 40 gig HD

    >
    >>> I have tried the following.....

    >
    >>> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    >>> Adaware SE
    >>> Windows Registry Repair Pro
    >>> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
    >>> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
    >>> rd wintools

    >
    >>> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
    >>> that came with her computer

    >
    >> I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

    >
    >Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".


    Some folks tend to stop at "infinite wisdom" as it so often implies
    truth instead of cold-hearted sarcasm.
    Chilly Willy, May 5, 2005
    #10
  11. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:


    >>>Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?



    >> Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with total
    >> strangers.


    >> Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
    >> sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
    >> right out and say it. :)


    > Between us we have an even half dozen wives.


    Sounds like a bad movie: Blinky And Roger Share A Six-Pack

    :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2005
    #11
  12. Watcher111

    WormWood Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Rôgêr wrote:

    >
    >>>>Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?

    >
    >
    >>> Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with
    >>> total
    >>> strangers.

    >
    >>> Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
    >>> sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
    >>> right out and say it. :)

    >
    >> Between us we have an even half dozen wives.

    >
    > Sounds like a bad movie: Blinky And Roger Share A Six-Pack
    >
    > :)
    >

    Share? No shit? :))
    WormWood, May 5, 2005
    #12
  13. WormWood wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>> Rôgêr wrote:


    >>>>>Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?


    >>>> Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with
    >>>> total
    >>>> strangers.


    >>>> Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
    >>>> sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
    >>>> right out and say it. :)


    >>> Between us we have an even half dozen wives.


    >> Sounds like a bad movie: Blinky And Roger Share A Six-Pack


    >> :)


    > Share? No shit? :))


    Hey, it's a small world... :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2005
    #13
  14. Watcher111

    elaich Guest

    "Watcher111" <> wrote in
    news:3_eee.15809$yV4.7527@okepread03:

    > The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the
    > "Uninstall Homepage" link we get taken to an address of
    > www.muchsearch.com and there is no information there to uninstall the
    > malware.


    A simple Google search for "about:blank" will turn up hundreds of pages
    about the malware, and the cleaner for it.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"
    elaich, May 5, 2005
    #14
  15. Watcher111

    ellis_jay Guest

    Watcher111 wrote:
    > Greetings One and All,
    >
    > My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her
    > browser get hi-jacked.
    >
    > The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the
    > "Uninstall Homepage" link we get taken to an address of
    > www.muchsearch.com and there is no information there to uninstall the
    > malware.
    >
    > She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.
    >
    > On an HP Pavillion A305W
    > Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
    > 256 megs ram
    > 40 gig HD
    >
    > I have tried the following.....
    >
    > Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
    > Adaware SE
    > Windows Registry Repair Pro
    > Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System
    > Mechanic Pro I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools
    > and did a del *.* and rd wintools
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install
    > disks that came with her computer


    Piss on sp2. Run hijack this from tom coyote, join his forum and wait for a
    reply. Make sure you dwonload HJT into its own folder and not to the
    desktop as you will be preached to ad infinitum about it until you do. Have
    some patience then, as the forum is not real quick to respond.
    Download the CW shredder and run it-you can google for the link.

    Have you clicked on the general tab after right clicking on IE, then
    clicking on properties and changing the page yourself?



    --
    He released government from the restraint of law.
    ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and
    the Straussian neocons

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, May 6, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dan

    Browser Hijack

    Dan, Apr 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,714
    michael turner
    Apr 6, 2004
  2. Badger

    Browser Hijack

    Badger, Jun 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    873
    °Mike°
    Jul 2, 2004
  3. johndoe

    Browser hijack

    johndoe, Jan 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    874
    Governor Swill
    Jan 22, 2005
  4. Babba

    Browser Hijack

    Babba, Jan 31, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    476
    Robin T Cox
    Feb 6, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    Help Needed Browser Hijack IE

    Representative Trantis, Jul 26, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    307
Loading...

Share This Page