Browser-blocking weirdness.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Daniel Bell, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Daniel Bell

    Daniel Bell Guest

    In April, I posted here asking people to write to the Weight Watchers
    website because it oddly blocks Mozilla on it's home page (despite the
    fact the site works perfectly if you start with link within the site).
    Their .co.uk site has fixed the problems, probably due to in part to
    our complaints, but the .com one is still screwed up.

    I've been using Firebird 0.6.1 lately, and to my surprise Weight
    Watchers doesn't have a problem with it! I diffed the browsers'
    requests. Firebird's "Accept:" line includes "video/x-mng,". Here's
    the only other difference between Firebird's request (first) and
    Mozilla 1.5a (second):

    Gecko/20030728 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1

    10 days in the build date, and the words "Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1" are
    the only differences. Again, Firebird works, Mozilla is blocked. I
    know this sounds paranoid, but does this mean the site is specifically
    and intentionally blocking Mozilla?

    Thanks,
    Daniel J. Bell

    P.S. Thanks to Brandon Blackmoor his example for a Mozilla-blocker
    complaint post.

    Daniel Bell, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Daniel Bell

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Daniel Bell wrote:
    > In April, I posted here asking people to write to the Weight Watchers
    > website because it oddly blocks Mozilla on it's home page (despite the
    > fact the site works perfectly if you start with link within the site).
    > Their .co.uk site has fixed the problems, probably due to in part to
    > our complaints, but the .com one is still screwed up.
    >
    > I've been using Firebird 0.6.1 lately, and to my surprise Weight
    > Watchers doesn't have a problem with it! I diffed the browsers'
    > requests. Firebird's "Accept:" line includes "video/x-mng,". Here's
    > the only other difference between Firebird's request (first) and
    > Mozilla 1.5a (second):

    > Gecko/20030728 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1

    > 10 days in the build date, and the words "Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1" are
    > the only differences. Again, Firebird works, Mozilla is blocked. I
    > know this sounds paranoid, but does this mean the site is specifically
    > and intentionally blocking Mozilla?

    No, it doesn't work in Konqueror either.

    However, I felt playful and decided to put up a parody page. Enjoy!
    <URL:http://movieplace.freeyellow.com/ww>

    Keith Bowes, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Daniel Bell

    Daniel Bell Guest

    Keith Bowes <> wrote in message
    .. . .

    > No, it doesn't work in Konqueror either.
    >
    > However, I felt playful and decided to put up a parody page. Enjoy!
    > <URL:http://movieplace.freeyellow.com/ww>

    Ha. Thanks.

    But Konqueror is a totally different engine. Netscape, Mozilla, and
    Firebird all use Gecko, and the only server-identifiable difference
    would be that User-Agent request field, no? If Netscape and Firebird
    work, wouldn't they have to explicitly code to disallow Mozilla?
    (That is, they did NOT explicitly code to disallow Firebird, so it
    works.)

    I dunno, it seems pretty weird to me. Anyway, the code on that site,
    I think, is provided by this company: http://www.browserhawk.com/

    Thanks,
    Daniel

    Daniel Bell, Aug 11, 2003