    can tell it’s in a wedged state, because the status lights are stuck
    unblinking, showing an impossible combination. Power-cycle it, and it’s back
    to normal, and my office connectivity is restored.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > I hear thunder, and the light in my office goes black for maybe a tenth of a
    > second.
    >
    > I have 3 PCs switched on, and none of them even blinks. Guess what gives
    > trouble? My Ethernet switch.
    >
    > Even without a storm going on, it does this maybe once or twice a year: I
    > can tell it’s in a wedged state, because the status lights are stuck
    > unblinking, showing an impossible combination. Power-cycle it, and it’s back
    > to normal, and my office connectivity is restored.

    Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

    My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
    mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

    Richard, Sep 17, 2010

  3. In message <i6vce4$4on$>, Richard wrote:

    > Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

    No, actually Dynalink. :)

    > My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
    > mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

    I’ve been thinking of getting a gigabit-capable switch. But really it’s only
    important those few times I need to move a multi-gigabyte BitTorrent
    download between my main PC and my backup PC.

    They both have FireWire ports, which are currently unused. So another option
    would be connecting them that way.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > In message<i6vce4$4on$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

    > No, actually Dynalink. :)

    Probably the one brand that is worse...

    >> My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
    >> mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

    > I’ve been thinking of getting a gigabit-capable switch. But really it’s only
    > important those few times I need to move a multi-gigabyte BitTorrent
    > download between my main PC and my backup PC.
    >
    > They both have FireWire ports, which are currently unused. So another option
    > would be connecting them that way.

    Ive found playing bluray rips gets a bit choppy on 100 meg sometimes
    depending on what else is going on at the same time...

    Richard, Sep 17, 2010