    planning to solder the wires directly to the connector from a SATA cable
    Has anyone done this / any advice doing this?

    (what a dreadful design, worse than the old ATA!)
    David Wood, Dec 11, 2005

  2. David Wood

    Trax Guest

    "David Wood" <> wrote:

    |>My drive's SATA connector has broken (the plastic bit snapped off). I am
    |>planning to solder the wires directly to the connector from a SATA cable
    |>Has anyone done this / any advice doing this?
    |>
    |>(what a dreadful design, worse than the old ATA!)

    Advice would be to solder the old wires to new connector wires or
    replace the cable.

    Soldering directly to the pins you have a chance of overheating and
    disconnecting something from the circuit board - I've seen silver'd
    holes that a connection sits but no solder to make contact, it causes
    intermittent or no contact; you could create the same.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/85lxb
    Trax, Dec 11, 2005

  3. David Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dnh6m5$52a$2surf.net,
    David Wood spewed forth:
    > My drive's SATA connector has broken (the plastic bit snapped off). I am
    > planning to solder the wires directly to the connector from a
    > SATA cable Has anyone done this / any advice doing this?
    >
    > (what a dreadful design, worse than the old ATA!)

    Is the problem only the plastic? I would not attempt soldering to the drive
    circuit board. They are probably multi-layer boards, just like motherboards.
    Any slip of the soldering and you could toast the drive.

    If your main problem is that the plastic that held the cable is not keeping
    the connection secure, I'd put the cable on the drive and use my hot glue
    gun to permanently attach the cable to the drive.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!
    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2005
  4. David Wood

    David Wood Guest

    Would superglue be ok to attach wires to connectors on circuit board?
    There seems to be 7 connectors but only 4 that are not Ground--ground seems
    to be the shielding but I can' t see a
    separate connection for each of the 3 grounds--anyone advise me on this?

    David Wood, Dec 11, 2005
  5. David Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Superglue is not going to make electrical contacts. If you broke the clear
    off the drive, then it does need to be re-soldered. But if you haven't had a
    lot of experience with computer grade soldering, I would suggest you have a
    shop do it.

    In news:dnhrhr$bvr$2surf.net,
    David Wood spewed forth:

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!
    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2005
  6. David Wood

    old jon Guest

    "David Wood" <> wrote in message
    > Would superglue be ok to attach wires to connectors on circuit board?

    NO. don`t try to glue wires !!.

    old jon, Dec 11, 2005
  7. David Wood

    J-McC Guest

    Here is a link to the specs for SATA. Pages 54 and 55 have the
    connector and connections shown. I was unable to copy and paste these
    two pages. The doc is in a pdf format.
    I have not fully followed the messages BUT if you are talking of
    glueing the wires then get an instrument maker technician to do the
    soldering for you. These guys are skilled at fine electronic
    soldering. If the connector is on a Hard Drive then it is worth
    trying to have it repaired, if on a main board (motherboard) why not
    just buy a SATA interface card and using the bios disable the sata
    ports on the motherboard.
    Good luck. JmCC

    http://www.sata-io.org/docs/SerialATA_Revision_2_5_Gold.pdf

    J-McC, Jan 23, 2006