    that and I do not see any problems in the pictures I took so far. Should
    I get it repaired? My camera is under warranty but I am just afraid if I
    send it in for repair they might mess up some thing else in the process.

    SP, Aug 22, 2003

  2. SP

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:50:53 -0500, in rec.photo.digital SP
    <> wrote:

    >I accidentally broke one of the prong for the male socket where you
    >insert CF card of my coolpix 5700 camera. I did take few pictures after
    >that and I do not see any problems in the pictures I took so far. Should
    >I get it repaired? My camera is under warranty but I am just afraid if I
    >send it in for repair they might mess up some thing else in the process.

    Let me get this straight. You a user of a 5700 broke something on it. Yet
    you fret those whose job it is to fix it will break it further? The more
    pertinent question is your misuse of the camera covered under warranty,
    IMO. I've got nearly 10, 000 images on my 990 and 1,000 on my 5700 and
    can't see how you could have done this taking any care inserting the card.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Aug 22, 2003

  3. > I accidentally broke one of the prong for the male socket where you
    > insert CF card of my coolpix 5700 camera. I did take few pictures after
    > that and I do not see any problems in the pictures I took so far. Should
    > I get it repaired? My camera is under warranty but I am just afraid if I
    > send it in for repair they might mess up some thing else in the process.

    I completely understand your fear of them screwing something else up, as
    that is usually what happens, they never take care of your camera as if it
    were their own, but as if it was a golf ball.

    However, however the hell someone can break off a prong inside the camera
    where the CF card goes is going to cause more damage to the camera in the
    future then they could ever do in the few days they have it.

    Steve Jenkins, Aug 23, 2003
  4. > IMO. I've got nearly 10, 000 images on my 990 and 1,000 on my 5700 and
    > can't see how you could have done this taking any care inserting the card.

    I agree. Best to leave the camera as it is and learn a lesson never to
    stick screwdrivers or any other objects in the CF card slot.

    Steve Jenkins, Aug 23, 2003
  5. SP

    Susan Klein Guest

    > > >I accidentally broke one of the prong for the male socket where you
    > > >insert CF card of my coolpix 5700 camera. I did take few pictures after
    > > >that and I do not see any problems in the pictures I took so far. Should
    > > >I get it repaired? My camera is under warranty but I am just afraid if I
    > > >send it in for repair they might mess up some thing else in the process.

    > > Let me get this straight. You a user of a 5700 broke something on it. Yet
    > > you fret those whose job it is to fix it will break it further? The more
    > > pertinent question is your misuse of the camera covered under warranty,
    > > IMO. I've got nearly 10, 000 images on my 990 and 1,000 on my 5700 and
    > > can't see how you could have done this taking any care inserting the card.

    > I agree you must have been a doofus to have done such a thing. I also am not
    > able to see how you were able to do this accidentally.

    I would actually be in favor of a federal law that would prohibit companies from
    making repairs under these conditions, otherwise people will never be punished
    for doing this and will never learn a lesson. I think a minimum mandatory 6
    month jail sentence would not be out of line either.

    Susan Klein, Aug 23, 2003
  6. SP

    Lynne Guest

    I only have a 3100, but I have a story...
    I bought this camera in March. Came with a 16-meg card. I used it for a
    couple weeks, then on vacation decided it was time to put in the bigger card
    I had bought for it at the camera shop.
    The first time I'd ever had the card door open, I found the card didn't
    want to come out. Had to push very hard on the button as well as carefully
    pull straight out, to get it out. Then put in the new card. Didn't wanna go
    in, but it did. Then got card-reading errors. Took it to a local service
    center. Service person said a prong was bent. He used a tool on it to
    straighten it, and put the card back in - the old card. It worked fine.
    Until I put in the new card again.
    But when I got home I took it back to where I bought it, saying the pin
    was bent and I had done absolutely nothing to contribute to it. He said
    Nikon warranty doesn't cover bent or broken pins, so he worded the work
    order in such a way they would work on it. I removed all cards &
    accessories, and sent it off.
    Well, Nikon claimed they couldn't reproduce the error I was getting. So
    they cleaned it and sent it back. I put the bigger card back in it with no
    problem. The camera shop person told me it was probably my computer, and to
    try another computer. My husband suggested he try a new brain... I was
    livid about the weeks of loss of use of my new camera, because of some
    defect they claim never existed.
    Anyway, my theory is that because it's worked fince since, it was probably
    the original card that was bad. I don't know if trying to force in another
    when a card has left a pin bent might break it, or not. You will probably
    have a hard time convincing them even if this were the case. If it's
    something foolish you did, they'll know and you might as well forget it.
    As long as it's working, you should consider leaving it as is,
    permanently.
    My .02.

    Lynne, Aug 23, 2003