    Is there any way I can get the files off of my laptop harddrive and see them
    on my desktop computer? Any info would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

    Gtrplayer55, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Gtrplayer55

    Pepperoni Guest

    Figure out what type drive you have and get an enclosure to hold it. I
    would guess a 2.5 inch drive:
    (for example/ not a recommendation)

    Sabrent USB 2.0 Aluminum 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure
    Transfer data quickly and easily with this great external hard drive case!
    The USB 2.0 interface allows for data transfer rates up to 480Mbps. This
    case is powered by a USB 2.0 connection. The easy to use design allows for
    quick installation of 2.5-inch hard drives.

    This enclosure provides a fast and easy way to add more storage space to
    your Desktop or Notebook. The USB 2.0 interface allows users to read and
    write large files up to 480Mbps per second, and this device is also backward
    compatible to the USB 1.1 specification. Reuse old 2.5” Hard Drives as
    perfect external storage!

    Price: $14.97
    Availability: In Stock
    http://tinyurl.com/6le38

    For more, type "drive enclosure" into your search engine.

    Pepperoni

    "Gtrplayer55" <> wrote in message
    > About a year ago, I got mad and kicked my laptop computer, totally

    destroying
    > the bottom of it. When I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. The

    screen
    > was fine, but nothing loaded. I'm sure I broke the motherboard, but what

    > want to know is this. I managed to remove the hard drive from the

    computer.

    Pepperoni, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Gtrplayer55

    Rv! Guest

    Or get a converter cable and do the job internally to the PC for
    the same cost. I do not personally like the external USB cases
    as virtually every one of them has problems at USB2 thanks
    to Microsoft. Continual buffer and data write problems make
    them nearly unuseable at USB2. I have used about 5 types and
    had to drop all of them back to USB1 to get reliable operation.
    This is a common fault. ( http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3EA14469 )

    Rv!

    Rv!, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Gtrplayer55

    Thor Guest

    "Rv!" <> wrote in message
    > Or get a converter cable and do the job internally to the PC for
    > the same cost. I do not personally like the external USB cases
    > as virtually every one of them has problems at USB2 thanks
    > to Microsoft. Continual buffer and data write problems make
    > them nearly unuseable at USB2. I have used about 5 types and
    > had to drop all of them back to USB1 to get reliable operation.
    > This is a common fault. ( http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3EA14469 )

    RV, I think this issue has far more to do with crappy USB implementation on
    VIA, and some other brands of chipsets, than it does with Microsoft. I use
    NEC (for add in cards) Nforce2 and Intel (motherboards) chipsets for the
    most reliable and consistent USB operation, and I have never, ever
    encountered this error. I have 5 different external USB 2.0 drives, and also
    a direct USB 2.0/IDE adapter for plugging a naked harddrive directly into
    USB. All operate reliably at USB 2.0 for me. I have OTOH, seen many
    problems from VIA and to a lesser extent ALI and SIS chipsets when it comes
    to USB compatibility in general, with VIA by far the worst offender when it
    comes to USB problems (and unfortunately one of the most common chipsets I
    encounter). I firmly believe USB 2.0 can operate very reliably. You just
    need to avoid the problem child controller chipsets.

    Thor, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Gtrplayer55

    Brian Guest

    "Gtrplayer55" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > About a year ago, I got mad and kicked my laptop computer, totally

    destroying
    > the bottom of it. When I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. The

    screen
    > was fine, but nothing loaded. I'm sure I broke the motherboard, but what

    > want to know is this. I managed to remove the hard drive from the

    computer.
    > Is there any way I can get the files off of my laptop harddrive and see

    them
    > on my desktop computer? Any info would be great.
    > Thanks in advance.

    do it the easiest and cheapest way and get urself an ide converter. open up
    desktop,fix one end of the converter to the desktop ide ribbon and the other
    end to your lap harddrive,set lap HD to slave and boot. if the HD is ok it
    should be recognised and you should be able to all data on the lap HD. don't
    bother fittting the brackets that come with it.. its more fuss than anything
    else (if its just a one off thing). just place on a stable place. i.e stack
    of books next to the tower.
    pic so you know what it looks like here:::::::::
    http://www.cablesnmor.com/hard-drive-converter.html

    Brian, Sep 28, 2004
  6. Gtrplayer55

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > encountered this error. I have 5 different external USB 2.0 drives,
    > and also a direct USB 2.0/IDE adapter for plugging a naked harddrive
    > directly into USB. All operate reliably at USB 2.0 for me. I have
    > OTOH, seen many

    I agree entirely with Thor. I've used everything up to a ATA133 Western
    Digital Special Edition drive with 8 megs of cache in a USB2.0 enclosure
    and never had a problem with any of them.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Sep 28, 2004
  7. Gtrplayer55

    Rv! Guest

    I know this is a VIA problem, but I have this problem on
    two Gigabyte GA-7N400-L boards based on NVidia
    chipsets and also a couple of Chaintec's (Can't remember
    the chipset). The problem isn't solely VIA but is certainly
    partly theirs.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Sep 28, 2004
  8. Gtrplayer55

    Thor Guest

    "Rv!" <> wrote in message
    >I know this is a VIA problem, but I have this problem on
    > two Gigabyte GA-7N400-L boards based on NVidia
    > chipsets and also a couple of Chaintec's (Can't remember
    > the chipset). The problem isn't solely VIA but is certainly
    > partly theirs.

    I run both Nforce2 USB ports (mainboard) and a set of NEC ports on a
    controller card. Neither has ever had trouble with multiple USB 2.0 drives,
    even simultaneously connected and copying data from one to the other and to
    the internal drive all at the same time.

    Thor, Sep 29, 2004
  9. Gtrplayer55

    ProfGene Guest

    If the connecting pins and the power connectors are the same you might be
    able to connect it as a slave and view the files but if they are not the
    same then forget it. If there is an external USB device for laptop hdd
    external cases like they have for desktop hdds you probably could. Otherwise
    you would need to put it into another laptop which hardly seems worth the
    bother.

    ProfGene, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Gtrplayer55

    VWWall Guest

    ProfGene wrote:

    > If the connecting pins and the power connectors are the same you might be
    > able to connect it as a slave and view the files but if they are not the
    > same then forget it.

    They are not the same, but as several have said, an adapter cable costs
    about 5 bucks and allows the laptop drive to be connected to a desktop.

    > If there is an external USB device for laptop hdd
    > external cases like they have for desktop hdds you probably could.

    This has been covered too! Didn't you read the entire thread before
    replying? ;-(

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the